Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building a Waldorf or Marriot by Porter Davis

Page 415 of 419
deefeez46waldorf
put this on product review, joanne will just send a message and tell you what you want to hear ..contact the area manager or operations manager..they love it ..

Yeah, we did that last week as well. Still no response. We have involved the Operations Manager, and he has now gone silent as well. So frustrating
thewoodies
Honestly I find the process of having to bleat here or on social media to get anything done with PD to be most disturbing. I'm sick of it. I wish their staff could do their jobs without Joanne having to forever intervene. She's brilliant at it, but it shouldn't take that sort of action to get them to offer basic customer service. Our BC had the gall to challenge me on doing that with issues we had yet she is completely hopeless and going through her is a no go, so what else should we do? Very frustrating and I certainly won't be recommending PD to anyone after our build.

We have been holding off doing it for such a long time, hoping they would just do what they say. But like you, lost complete trust and faith and felt like no other option. They certainly don't respond to emails, calls or requests to work it out. Very frustrating, and after this experience, I have no confidence in recommending them either.
I must say we did hear from our site supervisor without prompting this morning about our latest issue which is good (more details in the main PD thread). But regardless we're left feeling very underwhelmed by PD in general.

3027WL
deefeez46waldorf
put this on product review, joanne will just send a message and tell you what you want to hear ..contact the area manager or operations manager..they love it ..

Yeah, we did that last week as well. Still no response. We have involved the Operations Manager, and he has now gone silent as well. So frustrating

Joanne has contacted today, we have emailed our job address etc.
yoyo72
so nearly went for the grange but one of my requirements was a spa bath in the ensuite and the grange just couldn't deliver.

I am building Waldorf Grange and am hoping for a spa in the master ensuite. Last time we were at World of Style I asked them and they said it shouldn't be a problem?
Hi fellow waldorf residents

After going backwards and forwards for over a year the construction of our waldorf has final begun..............and so have the disagreements on interiors
So here for some suggestions
Main issue at the moment is trying to finalise the lounge layout, Because we have seen so many waldorf displays "n" number of times we are struggling to think outside the box and can't get past the standard layout of 3+1+1 with a fireplace. Thinking logically though 5 seats are not enough even for a small group of friends, We want the room to look spacious but at the same time it will be crazy having such a big house and not even have a single room with decent seating for entertaining. (We can't have many options in the family because we opted for the full wall stacker door)
The other question is how to best utilise the bulkhead, a console or buffet? Console is elegant but waste of money...
I feel like I have lost my creativity with the overdose of waldorf displays

Anyone wants to share how they have laid out their formal lounge
garimasanchit
Hi fellow waldorf residents

After going backwards and forwards for over a year the construction of our waldorf has final begun..............and so have the disagreements on interiors
So here for some suggestions
Main issue at the moment is trying to finalise the lounge layout, Because we have seen so many waldorf displays "n" number of times we are struggling to think outside the box and can't get past the standard layout of 3+1+1 with a fireplace. Thinking logically though 5 seats are not enough even for a small group of friends, We want the room to look spacious but at the same time it will be crazy having such a big house and not even have a single room with decent seating for entertaining. (We can't have many options in the family because we opted for the full wall stacker door)
The other question is how to best utilise the bulkhead, a console or buffet? Console is elegant but waste of money...
I feel like I have lost my creativity with the overdose of waldorf displays

This is not really the dimensions of the Waldorf formal lounge but could give you a different perspective with furniture layout if you're happy to somewhat block the thoroughfare from the entrance.

I myself am nowhere near the furniture stage as its been 9 months since sales and still no PCV or build permit, but this photo has been in my ideas notebook for a few years!

On another note, has anyone who has moved into their Waldorf feel the standard 5.7m wide garage is sufficient? I had a 0.7m width extension ($1507!?) to be built on boundary line that now needs to be removed and entire house shifted by a metre due to the south boundary neighbour objecting to overshadowing by the garage. I'm concerned the standard 5.7m just isn't sufficient for comfortable use especially with SUVs and baby car seats in use.

garimasanchit

We walled it in and made it our cinema room, as the 'normal' cinema room was converted to a guest suite.
Momiji
On another note, has anyone who has moved into their Waldorf feel the standard 5.7m wide garage is sufficient? I had a 0.7m width extension ($1507!?) to be built on boundary line that now needs to be removed and entire house shifted by a metre due to the south boundary neighbour objecting to overshadowing by the garage. I'm concerned the standard 5.7m just isn't sufficient for comfortable use especially with SUVs and baby car seats in use.

Huh? I've seen many a house garage built to the boundary. It is less than 3.6m heigh. I'd have thought that is within rescode, so no reasons to object.

Have you checked/obtained a second opinion.

We added 2m to the garage width. The width of the door is 5.7m. We ended up with 1m on both sides to centre the door. Only have one car in it at the moment, as it still has lots of boxes etc. So I can not even answer if 2m is enough extra.
ChrisHeli
Momiji

Huh? I've seen many a house garage built to the boundary. It is less than 3.6m heigh. I'd have thought that is within rescode, so no reasons to object.

Have you checked/obtained a second opinion.

We added 2m to the garage width. The width of the door is 5.7m. We ended up with 1m on both sides to centre the door. Only have one car in it at the moment, as it still has lots of boxes etc. So I can not even answer if 2m is enough extra.

Thanks, ChrisHeli- i insisted the house could be lowered but it took 6 weeks after the application was rejected by council for PD to simply say "nope", and that it won't help with overlooking even though the issue at hand is overshadowing! Communication is just terrible with my new BC since their internal restructure. We fought back and forth on email for another two weeks till I was too disheartened to fight anymore even though council suggested I lower the house me is a simple fix. What can u do when PD is insisting they've explored everything and provide no explanation.

Although you've given me a bit of encouragement now to seek further advice
. I might post my drawing up to see if anyone as any advice and also engage in my own building surveyor. More money spent just to keep your builder honest

I wish I could've extended my garage like yours but sales insisted they could only offer 700mm before it becomes a triple garage?? Have I been duped?

I should clarify that it's reg 417 (solar access to habitable windows) that we applied dispensation for. PD took the easy solution and moved the house one metre from fence line to comply rather than looking for alternate and applying for dispensation again.

How's everyone's Waldorf/Marriot's going? What's everyone's latest stage?

we had our cut done a few days ago, slab going in, in a week or so apparently. we building the W 48
That's an exciting time, yoyo! Official site start. How long was it from signing you contract/PCV till your site cut?

quite a while as we were in a bushfire zone so had to get a planning permit before we could apply for building permit. once we got that sorted pd was onto it all fairly quick maybe 2 - 3 weeks to have diggers on the land whats a PVC?
I see... PCV= post contract variation. I'm still trying to get the contract 100% correct with a second PCV and build permit not applied for yet.

For anyone with the higher ceilings on the ground floor, did you increase the height of all ground floor doors to 2340mm? We had an extremely painful experience with the entry and extra hallway doors in order to do this. So much so that I had to call Corinthian three times myself and select a door without a quote and waiting for the 4th post contract variation to fix it! Was it just us with this problem? What did others do with door heights?

We selected the PCL 4G and WIN40 for entry and hallway.

Momiji
For anyone with the higher ceilings on the ground floor, did you increase the height of all ground floor doors to 2340mm? We had an extremely painful experience with the entry and extra hallway doors in order to do this. So much so that I had to call Corinthian three times myself and select a door without a quote and waiting for the 4th post contract variation to fix it! Was it just us with this problem? What did others do with door heights?

We selected the PCL 4G and WIN40 for entry and hallway.

We increased the height of our doors in line with extended ceiling. Our front door has been an issue too in terms of cost and getting it right. In the end I just picked one of the included ones and plan to replace it at a later stage
We are in the lock up stage still in the practical completion stage lol

The brick work is not finished yet due to an issue with the facade pillar but they have completed the fixing stage inside and are moving to paint.

How long did it take on average for people from paint to handover?

Can't wait to get in, life is all about planning interiors at the moment.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

22/06/2023
7 Steps - For a successful building project

Renovation + Home Improvement

Following these simple steps will help you mitigate unwanted costs, have your expectations met and give…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum