Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 408 of 862
ajd78
Claire / MummaDj - your houses looks great.... Both coming along nicely.

Very excited ajd - PCI is next week!
mirz
Serenity_Now
Does anyone have a link to the full range of stairs options from PD? I recall seeing a link before on the forums in the past but I can't seem to locate it

Sorry NVM - found it!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_W9OQP ... t?hl=en_GB

thanks for sharing, but this link isnt working. can you please repost thanks?

Sorry, fixed in my original post and linked below for good measure.

Good luck with your PCI next week MummaDJ. Waiting for tilers to finish at our house at the moment so hopefully not too far behind you.
Just had to share this picture - LOVE our new splashback!
PS: obviously lights need to be fitted now under the cupboards.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

belle10
Good luck with your PCI next week MummaDJ. Waiting for tilers to finish at our house at the moment so hopefully not too far behind you.

Thanks Belle - hope tiling is super, love to see some picks when done.
MummaDJ

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!
MummaDJ

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

your kitchen is looking fab, never seen a green glass spalshback before. TBH its looking really cool
Serenity_Now
Sorry, fixed in my original post and linked below for good measure.

thanks Serenity_Now, will save it for reference
Love the lime splashback!

I'm currently dealing with post-handover hassles that have me grumpy. My splashback had a black dot behind it, so they came back and pulled the thing down to fix the paint on the back of it. In doing so they made it worse. Yay. Then they told me somebody would stop by, remove it and take it away for a week so they could repaint it, leaving me with an unusable kitchen!

The same company does the shower screens, and had to come out today to replace most of mine because they had machining marks on it. Something that was noted at handover, but took a couple of weeks to get actioned. Unfortunately the guy doing the job shattered one of the doors, resulting in a huge mess of broken glass across my bathroom. I wasn't home when all this happened, my partner supervised, and I was fully prepared to write it off as bad luck but then I returned to find a two inch chunk taken out of my bathroom wall where he banged something into it.

Not only did the guy leave broken glass all over my bathroom (he didn't actually clean up properly after himself), he broke my wall and didn't bother telling anyone. Come Monday I'll be making one seriously irate call to my former site supervisor. I have so many outstanding items it's not funny, and can't get anybody to return my emails or calls this week.

Small tip - don't accept handover unless things are 100% perfect. Even little things can turn into a nightmare (I've had to be home three days in two weeks to facilitate access, still don't have my fly wire door screens, am waiting on my replacement splashback, have a few broken roof tiles, never saw my doorframes re-finished despite being assured it would be done, have a bunch of paint defects, and various other issues). I should have gone home on handover day and made them get it perfect before making that last payment.
thats one disturbing post Lurgen. cant believe company like PD gives a crap like this to its customers.

no matter what tradies done, PD is fully responsible for everything. you are paying PD not trades.
Mummadj, looks fabulous! Love green, such a nice shade too. Did you have to get starphire?

Lurgen
Love the lime splashback!

I'm currently dealing with post-handover hassles that have me grumpy. My splashback had a black dot behind it, so they came back and pulled the thing down to fix the paint on the back of it. In doing so they made it worse. Yay. Then they told me somebody would stop by, remove it and take it away for a week so they could repaint it, leaving me with an unusable kitchen!

The same company does the shower screens, and had to come out today to replace most of mine because they had machining marks on it. Something that was noted at handover, but took a couple of weeks to get actioned. Unfortunately the guy doing the job shattered one of the doors, resulting in a huge mess of broken glass across my bathroom. I wasn't home when all this happened, my partner supervised, and I was fully prepared to write it off as bad luck but then I returned to find a two inch chunk taken out of my bathroom wall where he banged something into it.

Not only did the guy leave broken glass all over my bathroom (he didn't actually clean up properly after himself), he broke my wall and didn't bother telling anyone. Come Monday I'll be making one seriously irate call to my former site supervisor. I have so many outstanding items it's not funny, and can't get anybody to return my emails or calls this week.

Small tip - don't accept handover unless things are 100% perfect. Even little things can turn into a nightmare (I've had to be home three days in two weeks to facilitate access, still don't have my fly wire door screens, am waiting on my replacement splashback, have a few broken roof tiles, never saw my doorframes re-finished despite being assured it would be done, have a bunch of paint defects, and various other issues). I should have gone home on handover day and made them get it perfect before making that last payment.

Hi Lurgen,

The Building Manager has been made aware of this matter. He will be in touch ASAP.

Cheers, Helen
oooh, mummadj.. that looks fabulous... and good luck with PCI next week...
Mumma DJ - your splashback is beautiful, makes very certain we made a wise choice we wnt young leaf which is a bit brighter but with the dark benches will hopefully be just as spectacular as yours! Very excited for you
please keep up with pics of things afterwards too can wait to see backyard with full pool glory!

I would be upset too Lurgen, had that advice about not handing over cheque aswell but it must be hard to resist when the house is so close...will have to remember that down the track!
meowsy
Mummadj, looks fabulous! Love green, such a nice shade too. Did you have to get starphire?

No we didn't, an advantage of picking green is it doesn't matter if it has a green tinge. Save some $$$
clairemumto5
Mumma DJ - your splashback is beautiful, makes very certain we made a wise choice we wnt young leaf which is a bit brighter but with the dark benches will hopefully be just as spectacular as yours! Very excited for you
please keep up with pics of things afterwards too can wait to see backyard with full pool glory!

I would be upset too Lurgen, had that advice about not handing over cheque aswell but it must be hard to resist when the house is so close...will have to remember that down the track!

Claire, yours will be fab too, it looks so fresh. Amazing how different the green looks from different angles. Can't wait to see it all cleaned up and with our stuff.
Still working on the "pool glory". I tell you - picking pavers for this area has given me a headache. Thinking now that we will go for white sandstone as we want the real deep blue of the pool to stand out. Little baby steps, getting there. Spent the evening trying to compare energy providers - NOT fun!

Lurgen - once again, thank you for your advice.
We went to see Marbella 42 today to compare with Hoffman 39 to find out which one would suit better for our family.

I would say decision isn't easy, as both have own features and benefits. Both with standard alfresco and bronte facade look pretty much perfect. At this stage trying to ignore other options from Henley (Sahara q1, and mercer q1), or it will become even harder to decide.

One thing we noticed about third time visiting PD displays, sales persons are very happy to help and try to provide information till they find out that we already have a PD sales person. Whole atmosphere changes in a blink, been ignored, and advised to contact our sales person.

We found this very unprofessional. If we are driving 50 Kms to the other side of Melbourne to see a display house in person and need to clarify few things from local sales person, what's wrong with that?

We haven't signed and paid anything beside $1,000 initial deposit, and believe that we have right to choose a different house from PD range.
Mirz - go on, have a look at the floorplan for the Wembley. We have it as a 5 bedroom house - one of their standard variations is changing the loungeroom (next to front door) to a Guest Bedroom. Then laundry is then altered to be a different shape - you don't have to access it through the kitchen/galley - enter from hallway. Upstairs has 3 kids rooms at back, parents room at the front with a games room separating them. Anyway, just to confuse you even more......everyone has different things they are looking for.

Bit of a shame the Sales Person wasn't helpful. When we were very interested in the Wembley, we had to drive over to Geelong to look at the only display. However our Sales Consultant called the SC over there and asked them to help us out to point out what was standard and what was not etc etc. You can absolutely choose any house you like. You can also talk with your SC about both houses you like and draw up prices for both with any particular variations - they would do this. Our Sales office said that sometimes people do that for 2-3 houses to work out the one they want. Good luck.
mirz
We went to see Marbella 42 today to compare with Hoffman 39 to find out which one would suit better for our family.

I would say decision isn't easy, as both have own features and benefits. Both with standard alfresco and bronte facade look pretty much perfect. At this stage trying to ignore other options from Henley (Sahara q1, and mercer q1), or it will become even harder to decide.

One thing we noticed about third time visiting PD displays, sales persons are very happy to help and try to provide information till they find out that we already have a PD sales person. Whole atmosphere changes in a blink, been ignored, and advised to contact our sales person.

We found this very unprofessional. If we are driving 50 Kms to the other side of Melbourne to see a display house in person and need to clarify few things from local sales person, what's wrong with that?

We haven't signed and paid anything beside $1,000 initial deposit, and believe that we have right to choose a different house from PD range.

Mirz, if you like the Hoffman, you can have the same option MummaDJ talked about in the Webley, you can change the loungeroom down the bottom to a guest bedroom either without or without the extended area for the loungeroom. Get your SC to call the sales person at the display and make a time to go through the house with you personally and have a list of questions. That really worked well for us, because we had the same issue at one hoffman display but not at the other.

MummaDJ is also right about the houses. We had three different houses drawn up with prices and plan outlines before we decided on the Hoffman. It's your house and it has to be right for you and your family, you will be paying for it for a long time so you have to be happy and comfortable with it. Also, don't be afraid to ask for changes to make it what you want.
These are some of the things we did to the standard Hoffman that made it right for us. (we did a bit)

Extended the lounge and turned it into the guest suite with a guest ensuite. (std option)
Extended the downstairs "study" into the family room to make a lounge room since we turned the lounge room into a bedroom
Changed the Master ensuite to have a separate toilet with a door (std option) Major win as it was only $449 to do this!

Put more cupboards in the laundry
Took out cabinets in the galley so there was room for a fridge and a freezer
Put a wall between the stairs and dining with double doors so sound would not travel from upstairs to downstairs or to the bedroom at the front

Took out bed 2 upstairs and made bed 3 and bed 4 bigger with WIRs and then turned the remaining bed 2 area into a study area and changed the wardrobe in the old bed 2 into another linen cupboard
Changed windows, locations and sizes
and other things...

We made quite a few changes. Not to mention that PD came to the party and enabled us to have an ensuite on the ground floor that has a "walk in" type shower with no step as my mum is disabled.
It took a bit of compromise along the way, but this was a non negotiable for us. So we worked around it and came up with a compromise that worked for all of us and did not cost the earth.

PM me if you would like to see the plans or more info. Our roof is now on and the brickie should start this week. All the dramas are really before you get to site.

Good luck with it all
Mirz - We choose the PD Chadwick because it met two of our criteria. Design and site orientation. In the design we were looking for study, guest bed option, rumpus, dining next to kitchen, alfresco, a u shaped staircase and upstairs the master separated from the kids bedrooms (like mummadj). Mind you we had to compromise on the WIR in the master being a bit on the small side. I have seen a design where someone added a second WIR but unfortunately did not think of this until too late. There were a few houses that met this but what really made our decision easier was site orientation. We needed the garage on the left and wanted all main living areas north facing to get as much natural light in as possible. One of the bedroom windows was west facing so we moved it to be south facing to avoid the harsh west afternoon sun. We also put in doors in the hallway after the stairs to zone our heating. Once we considered this we were left with 2 options one was PD and the other with another builder. When we walked through the Chadwick we knew it was the right house for us. Good luck with your decision!
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum