Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building the Waterfall by Clarendon in Sydney

Page 41 of 59
Hey GFdo or meatpie. Do you have any pics of the top of your porch roof.? Still trying to work out the drainage situation.
Hi Infocus ,

Sorry our porch roof hasn't been done yet .
Thats cool no worries.....MP, yours has from memory. Can you take a photo if possible?
Happy New Year to all.

We're building with Clarendon in Carlingford. I feel pretty upset when I reading the progress of Mel and John's houses.

By comparing to Mel's house, ours started one month later but we're 2 months behind at the stage to roof tile. There was a lot of rain we understand however we also waited for almost one month for the brick labor to finish another house in nearby suburb before they can move to our house to start the brickwork.

Mels House....................................................Johns House ---------------------Susan House

Roof Tiles 22nd October............................Roof tiled 20th October --------- 15th Dec (partially, no roof tile for half of the garage yet!)
Brickwork 15th October..................................Brickwork finished 11th October---26th Nov
Top floor Frame: 20th August..............................19th August ----------------8th Oct
Frame: 19th August...........................................Frame started 16 August-------29th Sep
Slab: 5th August ..............................................Slab laid 25 July ---------------6th Sep
Signed Contract: 7th July...................................Contracts signed 28 April 2010---July 2010
Hey Susan

Can I ask if it is the Waterfall you are building. If not, then it's hard to compare. And even if it is, sometimes there is a lack of tradies or some are slower than others plus weather plays a big part. It all adds up.
infocus
Hey Susan

Can I ask if it is the Waterfall you are building. If not, then it's hard to compare. And even if it is, sometimes there is a lack of tradies or some are slower than others plus weather plays a big part. It all adds up.

Ours is Waterford, similar to Waterfall. Yes I understand your point. One month delay is not the worst and hope everything gets smoothly in the new year. Good thing is, with the roof on, we don't worry about the rain any more.
infocus
Thats cool no worries.....MP, yours has from memory. Can you take a photo if possible?

hi infocus

i am away on holiday at the moment, i will take pics when i have the opportunity to do so.

happy new year to all of you!

mp
No worries MP. Hope you had a good Xmas and New Year.
Happy new year all!

Spoke to our ss this morning and we have our walk through on the 21st Jan then handover a week later... Can't wait!!!
Excellent news! happy for you. Better start packing!
Hi Guys We are currently in the process of building with Calrendon we are doing the Waterside 34. Just wondering on average how much did people pay for their electrical upgrades? We have done our kitchen and other upgrades and have gone a little over budget already
and wondering how much we should allow for this next thing? We want downlights mainly downstairs and double power points? Any one got any prices?
feeg
Hi Guys We are currently in the process of building with Calrendon we are doing the Waterside 34. Just wondering on average how much did people pay for their electrical upgrades? We have done our kitchen and other upgrades and have gone a little over budget already
and wondering how much we should allow for this next thing? We want downlights mainly downstairs and double power points? Any one got any prices?

An average is really hard, everyone is different, depending on how many power points you require, Cat 5 or 6 wiring, TV points, speaker wires, it all mounts up.....

$5000+ isn't unreasonable and $10,000 is quite possible, it all depends on your budget, if its tight just do the things that are hard to retrofit.

Our electrical appointment was excellent, we were told a few things which helped us, just ask for everything you can think of and then work backwards if the budget doesn't stretch that far..

Cheers
Guys,

I'm doing a demolish/rebuild, got a question on fencing.

I'll be getting fencing for the duration of the Demolish as I'm undertaking that project but will I also have to provide and pay fencing for the construction phase as well? Would appreciate your experiences.

Thanks
RB
Hi Royboy ,

C's standard allowance is for 27 lm for construction . Was chrged a extra $1065 back in April 2010.

GFdo
Taspost
Meatpie, looks good. I can't wait until we are at that stage (or any stage, we are waiting, waiting, waiting, nobody tells you the tender process is long and drawn out)

From memory, after you have your tender presentation you are sent an email survery about your experience so far, I was wondering has anyone received any other surveys and at what stage did you receive them.
Thanks Taspost

Well the other day we received our second survey asking questions that happened 6 months ago! Anyway in it, it asked about your tender presenter and your contract presenter. My question is - Did anyone have a contract presentation? or did it just turn up in the post?

Just curious.
Thanks
Hi All,

Yes, Clarendon are the masters of wait wait and more wait. They thrive on it and for very good reason, they are trying to eat into the 6 months tender period and get you as close as possible to the end, always remining you that the have the right to increase the tender price if all not agreed at the end. However at the eleventh hour the will throw in a few extra post contract variations for you to sign of on and no discussion will be entered into. The PCV will be for cranes to unload material, extra piering, extra fill, extra this and extra that. It will not be a good experiance for you.
I myself am going through this and if I had another chance I would never have gone with Clarendon, they are the masters of extracting the last ounce of blood out of you. So be very careful when you go out to Baulkham Hills to see the tender presenter, have a high collar and carry a cross and some garlic in your pockets.
And don't forget the tender and contract price means nothing to them.

gav2233
Hi ,

We had the initial Tender Presentation which we took more than 6 hrs to discuss . There was another Contract Tender presented to us with the variations and costs from the initial tender which took about 2 hrs . Both at the HO .

Gav , sorry to hear about your situation . I caused all the drama before the tender was presented but since that I had a good run so far .Most of the things depend on the site supervisor . BUT what I realised is that the more you show them that you know a bit about the construction industry they try less with you . I would still consider building with them as long as I get the same supervisor .

GFdo
Hi gav

it really depends on your CSO as well. a lot of times you dont know what happen behind the scene. if you get incompetent one then you have last minute additional into your PCV and they hope it will just "slide" under your nose.

our hiccup has been on the hydraulic plans which was delayed by 1 month and the consolidation of the colour appointments which took another 1 month. not sure what is so hard about consolidating what we have ordered.

i agree with GFdo, you need to show them that you know whats happening and dont be afraid to confront them and insist to get it fixed if it is somthing that you must have for your house.

there will be minor thing that we let it "slide" as it is not too important. my approach is always be polite but firm. but sometimes unfortunately you need to be firm to almost be "rude" to get things done.

will i do with C again? hmm, i am 50/50 to be honest. i heard the other builder is no better. the grass always looks greener on the other side.

i think the key really is to get good Site supervisor (again agreeing with GFdo), brand name means nothing. Your SS hold the key to your house whether it is going to be the house of horror or your home sweet home. unfortunately who will be your SS is not your choice.

so the best would be to look at the area that you are going to build and see what project they have done and if people are happy about it. chances are, you will get the same SS.

mp
Our contract was posted to us. I agree with the others, it all comes down to your ss.
Hi Mellarnie / Meatpie ,

What really is left to do after lock up ? . Our Gyprocking finished today , I guess I'm not far from lock up .
Related
8/05/2024
Clarendon Boston or Saratoga

General Discussion

It is Genneral stairs, but they won't deal with anyone off the street. They will only work with clients of project home builders. I tried to but some of these exact…

22/12/2023
Clarendon Eaves and Guttering Issue

General Discussion

The two 15mm holes are obviously not compliant. The Dept of Fair Trading would love to see this one! Do the gutters pool water after it stops raining? Although it's…

5/11/2023
Building a 39 square house in Schofields Sydney

General Discussion

No idea about the driveway question, but your price for a house that size including landscaping seems very good!

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum