Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Plantation Homes/ Molto Riviera/ Ormeau Ridge Qld

Page 5 of 6
Great news Imm...
Help!

I have now been told that are going to cut an expansion joint through the middle of my tiles in the living area. My tiles are a staggered layout so would be through the middle of every second tile right across the middle of the one room where the tiles won't be covered by furniture so thinking it will be highly visible. Does anyone else have this on staggered tiles, does it look ok or is it an eyesore?
lmm70
Help!

I have now been told that are going to cut an expansion joint through the middle of my tiles in the living area. My tiles are a staggered layout so would be through the middle of every second tile right across the middle of the one room where the tiles won't be covered by furniture so thinking it will be highly visible. Does anyone else have this on staggered tiles, does it look ok or is it an eyesore?

Why do they need to cut an expansion joint?
Mec06
lmm70
Help!

Apparently because the room is over a certain size, really annoying as I am not building a massive house. just so concerned it is going to run right through the middle of the main entertaining area and look really obvious. They say they can't run it in line with the tiles (so it could be done down a grout line) they have to cut across them.
lmm70
Mec06
lmm70
Help!

Apparently because the room is over a certain size, really annoying as I am not building a massive house. just so concerned it is going to run right through the middle of the main entertaining area and look really obvious. They say they can't run it in line with the tiles (so it could be done down a grout line) they have to cut across them.

I spoke to my dad who is a builder and he said this should have been done at the very start of the build with the Brickies and can't understand why they need to do it now unless they made a mistake initially and believes there are other options than cutting tiles.

I have never heard or seen of this in any builds. I certainly would be seeking second professional opinions.

Mec06 & Bec thank you for the comments, going to see what I can do. We have been fighting this and they have said no other option, just going to ruin the main entertaining space which is so disappointing!
The missed items are starting to mount up. They completely missed the waste drain in the laundry until I pointed it out, but I had accepted that and was letting it go only to find out last week they have pulled up the laundry tiles and are now drilling through the slab and coming in through the side of the slab to add it in which I can only think will cause more problems than it's worth in the future. They also completely missed all power points in the en suite until I pointed that out, they still haven't addressed this and I think hope I will just accept it with none in there.

just wonder what else I am not noticing yet....
That's awful! Have you had independent stage inspections??

Mec06
That's awful! Have you had independent stage inspections??

No, I haven't been. Thought they were doing well but now not so sure. Latest update is could be waiting up to a month for an electrician so everything is starting to become a steaming pile of ......

On a bright note the one thing we were organising has happened, so now I have a fence!

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg500/lmm70/56508D7A-F6EA-49F7-AA2D-DDB5FE8DF980.jpg
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg500/lmm70/413A828F-D95D-454A-8E4C-FE0F81AA1460.jpg
Hmm.. might be worth engaging with a private inspector regarding the expansion joint and while they're at it see if there is anything else that's going to cause a headache later.. it's really disappointing to hear that it's all s$&! for you at the moment, especially when it was all going so well!

However - fence looks great!

well I thought things were bad the other day, just got the phone call that the SS has been sacked or as described " no longer the right fit". Have been advised they will be back in contact when a new SS is allocated. Who knows when that will be ........
lmm70
well I thought things were bad the other day, just got the phone call that the SS has been sacked or as described " no longer the right fit". Have been advised they will be back in contact when a new SS is allocated. Who knows when that will be ........

Oh no... that does not sound good. I'd be livid as well! It must be serious if he's been sacked.. I really hope you get someone new pronto. In the meantime might be worth getting the independent inspector to check out what your old SS was dropping the ball on.

So s$&@!!!!!!!!!!!!

went for a look through the windows Saturday morning and discovered even though don't have SS they mirrors, splash back and shower screens have been installed, which was great, though I'm assuming not checked by anyone? Would love to know who we can talk to so we know what is going on. Have lights we must have to drop off soon but have no idea! But any progress is good at this stage! Please ignore the very unattractive window reflections!!!

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg500/lmm70/CC464EC1-EDB5-4A40-BB85-ECEC63441AC9.jpg
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg500/lmm70/FF5DC20A-C85E-4611-B423-25F918B444BB.jpg
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg500/lmm70/3AA66A45-451B-474D-B04C-C34D4837AE7E.jpg
Looking nice Imm.. love the overhead cabinets that goes all the way to ceiling...

It is a challenge to avoid reflection, isn't it...we come up with great ideas we never dare to try... lol
Well what a week! completely confused and not sure if I am happy,mad or what!!

Got an email on Wednesday afternoon giving me a handover date of 13th March. In it's own right fantastic but at that stage I didn't have a site supervisor nor had I had a PCI, have no plumbing, no electrical, no air con, no HWS, painting not finished, tiling not finished, no carpets, no driveway, just to name a few. Rang up head office to suggest they had made a mistake and told no mistake. When questioned how much was to be done and hadn't had PCI was told we (being Plantation) review it and we won't miss anything, so no PCI is occurring. Explained the things that had been missed so far and all picked up by me, had no response to that. Found out I had a new SS and arranged to meet him on site Thursday morning to find out what is going on.

When we got to site on Thursday the gate was open and the house being built next door had their power cords plugged into my box to power their tools. We stayed on footpath and never stepped inside. However from the moment he arrived he was so aggressive accusing us of disrespecting the company by opening the gates (tried to point out to him the power cord going next door!), having never met the guy it was quite scary and he basically yelled at us (thank god I took Dad with me!) for an hour (though think that might be his normal talking voice!), we could barely get a word in at all, it was unbelievable. Tried to ask why even though I have a handover date I still didn't have a date for when I can give them the down lights to be installed. Also tried to ask what was happening with the expansion joint only to be told that it was not one but about 6 they are doing, 3 in the main living area and 3 in the passages. Main living area will go in both directions. When we tried to talk about where they might go to minimise the visual impact was told he and only he decides that. Also tried to ask how I will be able to get a bank valuation to get the final money with so much undone and just got stories of how many valuers he had thrown out of houses and how much fun it was. He also suggested I don't move in after handover and they could then finish everything they needed and come and go as they needed so they would keep their locks on the doors to give them access.By this stage I was in tears and told him I give up!

Question for people though, if handover has happened but they have full access to house if things get damaged or go missing it is my problem not the builder?

The sum up was I have to have money ready for 13th to get the keys and can not go on site prior to that date.

So yeah for handover, I think? so so confused......
None of that sounds right or OK at all - I'd be demanding someone higher. handover should not happen if they have not finished the job.
How disgraceful that he spoke to you in that manner!

I'd be calling Head office.
Any update Imm?

Lots have been happening, they are powering on to handover regardless of issues! We are trying to sneak on site whenever we can to do mini PCI's so we can raise the issues we are finding.

The electrician picked up a huge one yesterday. As everyone comes and goes through garage door no one was really using the front door. When he went to do switches he noticed the front door and glass insert are in the wrong way. The way it is currently when the door is open it blocks access to a bedroom, the light switches are behind the door and you also couldn't put a door stop for door as it ends in the room's doorway, what a mess! They wanted us to leave it that way even though we didn't change the direction and all of there drawings have it going the other way, we considered it but thought we have had to accept so many other missteps that we wanted this one fixed so not sure what is going to happen there. He also picked up that the beading around the door frames has only been done in a couple of rooms and missed in most of the others including the bathrooms meaning you could see into the wall cavities in those rooms.Not sure what there intent is re fixing that.

On a high note - electrical finished yesterday, air con went in today, Roller Doors are tomorrow and carpet on Friday so really looking like a complete house now. Driveway and outside painting etc is mid to late next week.

So still not sure if handover will be on 13th or not....
Glad you stuck to your guns on the door - you should not always have to be the one that compromises! Glad things are still coming along - I hope they can pull it all together for you by the 13rh

Related
5/09/2023
QLD Owner Builder Legislation.

General Discussion

Hi all. Anyone know when the $11,000 limit was set in legislation for renovations in QLD? Ive been renovating for 5 years now and this was the limit back then. As we know,…

15/02/2024
QLD - Builder finished without notifying Building Certifier

General Discussion

Hi, I contracted a Builder to do a Garage to Bedroom + ensuite conversion (Class 1a), the Builder engaged the Certifier and Engineer and received BDA from the Certifier…

5/03/2024
Looking for the perfect design - 2 storey in Qld

Building A New House

We used a smaller qld builder who went bankrupt about 12 months after completion of ours. It was a shame as they were good and relatively cheap and I would have used…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum