Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Arden Developments

Page 5 of 163
Hi Laijer

We had our colour appointment on 19/1/17. We too will need to change a couple of light points. The pricing for electricals is good in comparison to other builders so far.
We were expecting atleast the price for some fixed items like towel rail, toilet holders and Door to be told but they did not and that just makes budgeting hard.
laijer
pEast
Hi Jeeta23

we hardly got any pricing for the things we wanted in colour selection for e.g. a price for a 1200x2400 front entrance door -
the electricals came as expected - we had worked out from the help from this forum since July 16.

Our land titles Aug 17. So still some time to go.
Floor plan we changed a lot

We had our colour appointment on the 18/01 and didn't get much on definitive pricing either, was told you will get exact pricing at tender appointment.

At the colour appointment, I noticed that the garage extension dimensions were still incorrect, had requested a 3000mm widening, they initially widened it by 2300mm when we received the initial sales quote, which we brought to the attention of the sales consultant, which he re-sketched and noted in 3M and it was still incorrect at our colour appointment. The colour consultant noted it on the sketch/plans again and hopefully it will be right at tender appointment, but I am a bit nervous about the quote as it was already quoted at about $14k for a 14.91sqm increase!!! That's almost $1000 per sqm! More than the per metre cost of the house! I've noted that others who have extended their garages only cost them just under $500 per sqm.

A few days later, my wife and I got some time to really sit down and go through the documents/electrical plans and noticed a few errors and also in hindsight wanted to make alterations to the electrical plan. I'm hoping that can still be amended.

I've read from posters who built in 2016 that adding batten lights was $30, but prices are about $55 now. we paid our deposits in 2016 and was hoping to get 2016 pricing or is that not how it works?

A little bit anxious about the tender appointment now as we (wife) upgraded quite a few items to higher categories.

I highly recommend you look in detail to every plan drawn up - we had some additional bulkheads appear, due to our upgrades that required additional plumbing and down stairs cooling vents etc. Also have any changes documented. Whilst the bulkheads were required, I provided feedback in relation to where I wanted the bulkheads, hence the changes.

I also had some changes that I wanted made at contract signing, which were documented.

You can definitely change electrical plans at tender, and even post tender - to a extent.

BTW I also paid $55 per batten (colour was in October 16), but didn't realise that was a circa 180% price increase

But I do agree with pEast that electrical costs with Arden still seemed reasonable compared to others we shopped around with.
Hi Jeeta23

We were too planning on 2 cooling vents downstairs but talked out by the SC. Can you please let me know how much they charged for the vents downstairs. I think I can then add them at tender.

Regarding - the changes - the major change we made is adding alfresco, removing laundry linen storage and adding a Shower 1600x900 and moving garage door to hallway and making the understair door move to near the stair giving us a bigger storage downstairs.
Hi - Has anybody got a idea regarding hanging Pendant lights in the kitchen - because I want something better and solid than just a batten point - something extra strong like a noggin they show in videos
pEast
Hi Jeeta23

We were too planning on 2 cooling vents downstairs but talked out by the SC. Can you please let me know how much they charged for the vents downstairs. I think I can then add them at tender.

Regarding - the changes - the major change we made is adding alfresco, removing laundry linen storage and adding a Shower 1600x900 and moving garage door to hallway and making the understair door move to near the stair giving us a bigger storage downstairs.

Hi pEast

On my contract the cost of the 2 downstairs vents is $462, however that includes a additional heating vent into the laundry (so it can be used as a drying room), so the 462 was actully a cost for 3 vents (one for heating). We were also advised, to make the cooling downstairs effective, we needed to upgrade our cooling system. The upgrade cost $578. So all up $1,050 to have two cooling vents downstairs (i.e $462+578).

We have made similar changes to you down stairs (the shower and alfresco and slightly reduced the downstairs rumpus for a bigger alfresco), and then adopted he floor plan used in the Beaumont for the remainder of the ground floor. Our 1st floor is completely different and customised significantly.
Hi Jeeta23

Thanks for the price - it just helps with budget for the tender. I think it is very reasonable as another large builder starting with S charge $250 per vent and $170 for heating vent.

I have chosen 300x600 tiles. Not sure about the laying charges for them especially in brick pattern similar to the one at Wollert display home.
pEast
Hi Jeeta23

I have chosen 300x600 tiles. Not sure about the laying charges for them especially in brick pattern similar to the one at Wollert display home.

Hi pEast

I know the ones you mean. They have a wooden appearance at Wollert.

Contact your SC and ask for a upgrades list for the Wollert display. That list will tell you how much the laying cost is. In fact my SC Allan is now based there, I'm sure he could help if you gave him a quick call.

I wouldn't think the cost would be to much, provided the tiles don't have rectified edges.
Hi Jeeta23

We made a slight change on level 1 - made Bedroom 3 and 4 WIR into 1. Decreased the activity area by 1.25 and made the WIR for that bedroom into a large one going into the activity area
Thanks for all your responses pEast and Jeeta23.

pEast
moving garage door to hallway and making the understair door move to near the stair giving us a bigger storage downstairs.
That's a good idea! I think I'll steal that one and see if they can apply it on my plans before tender.
laijer
Thanks for all your responses pEast and Jeeta23.

pEast
moving garage door to hallway and making the understair door move to near the stair giving us a bigger storage downstairs.
That's a good idea! I think I'll steal that one and see if they can apply it on my plans before tender.

I believe the change can be made before tender or even at Tender, but I would suggest you get on the front foot first and request the change now. That's what won me over with Arden, you can make custom changes without being charged - unless additional materials are required.

I have my site start on Friday - I'm hoping the construction side of things can go as smooth as possible
Hi Laijer

I think that is good way to get more storage downstairs - that space is just left for 2 doors to open. Moreover because we lost the laundry linen storage as we added a 1600x900 shower - we were looking for that extra storage. The only drawback is when u enter the storage it will block the way to the stairs - but then only till you get the stuff out.

When is your tender. We scheduled for 10th Feb - wish we could move it further a couple of weeks.
Hi Jeeta23

Wish you the best with your build. Hope you keep us posted.
Did anybody submit landscape plan to the developer through Arden homes and how much was the cost.
Jeeta23
I have my site start on Friday - I'm hoping the construction side of things can go as smooth as possible
All the best with the build. Will you be engaging an independent inspector for your build?

pEast
When is your tender. We scheduled for 10th Feb - wish we could move it further a couple of weeks.
Ours is on the 8th of Feb - wish we had more time too.
Anyone installing the Tesla Powerwall package Arden is offering? It's now the new version of the Tesla Powerwall. I recall the Powerwall v1 with solar panels was about $14k installed. Would be interested in the v2 price.
laijer
Anyone installing the Tesla Powerwall package Arden is offering? It's now the new version of the Tesla Powerwall. I recall the Powerwall v1 with solar panels was about $14k installed. Would be interested in the v2 price.

Laijer
I cannot answer your question. However the sales person at the point cook display told us that the Tesla power wall and solar panels are not optional. Can someone confirm this please?

Also we were asked to get a finance pre approval from Arden's finance broker before even being considered as a client. This is our second home (first time building though). Quite an unreasonable requirement imo.

Anyways good luck guys, I wish you guys well. Will need to look at other builders now.

Cheers

Hi has anyone had any experience with Ardens bespoke range? Or specifically, building a custom home ?

We're finding it frustrating that they have only one design in their bespoke range
acharyaji
laijer

Laijer
I cannot answer your question. However the sales person at the point cook display told us that the Tesla power wall and solar panels are not optional. Can someone confirm this please?
I paid the deposit back in Oct 2016 when it was under the previous pricing and the Powerwall v1 was an optional extra.

acharyaji
Also we were asked to get a finance pre approval from Arden's finance broker before even being considered as a client. This is our second home (first time building though). Quite an unreasonable requirement imo.
That's a bit weird. We weren't asked that until after we paid the initial $500 deposit, but it wasn't even a formal thing, it was just a quick chat with the Loan Studio guy over the phone with some ball park figures and he relayed info back to the SC whether we would be approved for what we budgeted for. We are going for tender tomorrow and we don't have a formal pre-approval as our land is not even ready for title until late April or early May. Pre-approvals only last 90 days I believe.
Special_K
Hi has anyone had any experience with Ardens bespoke range? Or specifically, building a custom home ?

We're finding it frustrating that they have only one design in their bespoke range

They only show one example floor plan in the bespoke range. The word bespoke means 'custom'. I think the idea is that you create a custom house. I know they have more than one floor plan if you ask them though because theres at least 3 bespokes listed on their price list.

acharyaji
laijer

Laijer

Anyways good luck guys, I wish you guys well. Will need to look at other builders now.

Cheers

Are you sure they asked for a pre-approval and not just a finance health check? I had their broker ring me and ask me a couple of questions to make sure I'd be able to service the mortgage. He was feiendly and the call lasted all of 2 minutes.

Not unreasonable I thought as Arden don't want to waste months of admin work for you to end up a tyre kicker and not able to get finance.

Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum