Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our Sekisui House Meridian - carpet and electricity

Page 5 of 5
Yesterday was another one of those exciting days at the house where people seem to come from everywhere

The electrical fit off has been almost completed. The oven and cooktop and rangehood have been delivered but not yet installed. Here are some pics of our lights.

In the main bedroom

Formal living room

Kitchen pendants and our dining room feature light. The kitchen pendants look amazing when they are on. The chrome goes a smokey black see-through glass and you can see the bulbs inside them.

The plumbing fit off has been finished. Our bath is finally in, and I never thought I'd be so excited about a toilet!

The hot water system has been delivered but not yet installed.

And the rainwater tank people have come and installed our pump and connected the tank. Happily it is due to rain all week so we might actually have some water when we move in!

SS has confirmed we are on track for handover at the end of the month.
Wow what progress you've made! It's strange what your builder has done with the second pantry, they must think you wear a load of aprons or something as I am not sure what else you'd use it for like that. :s

Loving the dark floor tiles, that's what we've planned for our house too, ours are a mocha/grey colour.
Thanks Jem. I had a giggle at your apron comment! Im really happy with our tiles. We have mocha brown/grey in the main bathroom and a darker charcoal grey in the ensuite. The entry to the ensuite transitions from black carpet and the entry to bath/toilet/laundry transitions from creamy tiles so we wanted different colours in the bathrooms to suit. The wall tiles are different too - very similar but slightly colours to better suit each floor tile and a bigger tile in the ensuite to suit the scale of the showers.

Oven, cooktop and rangehood have been installed. I can't wait to use my induction cooktop and can't wait to clean it! I HATE cleaning baked on food and little knobs and nooks and crannies!

and a clean pic of the kitchen the other way.

Sekisui have agreed to refit the second pantry properly after I pointed out our contract clearly states we paid for two pantries not one pantry and one extra 'cupboard'. They have also already noted that the wrong handles have been put on (normal door handles rather than matching the kitchen, which is clearly noted on the plan) and will be replacing the entire doors before handover.

Air conditioning and solar hot water fitted out in the last few days, half the flyscreens are on and tiles delivered ready to start tomorrow. Carpet scheduled for Friday.

Only big things left are the fire sprinker fit off, sewerage pod install and insulation to the roof cavity - the bats have been up there in their bags since frame but not installed.
Floor tiling now complete! There are only a handful of things left now - carpet, electrical inspection & connection, sewerage pod inspection & connection and then fixing up little bits and pieces they have gotten wrong along the way. We are doing the splashback ourselves after handover. I think we are 3.5 weeks away from keys!

wow looking good ribbon not long now
watching to see when you have handover as we are also getting close.
painters finish this week then the electrical etc.
Well I am glad to hear you don't have to start an apron collection, I don't care how practical aprons might be I still think they're ugly.

I love your stove too, soo clean looking. I am hoping ours will be the same. We're in a rental at the moment with the old fashion electric elements and it drives be nuts cleaning around them.

Very jealous of the hand over date, ours is no where in site as yet, hubby has a lot of work to do between them and now.
Thanks Rocky - my best guess at the moment is 8 May. I need to call SS today to ask if we are still on track for PCI next Wednesday. SS has been and put heaps of blue tape everywhere that requires touching up, so he must think we are close too! I'm really impressed with his attention to detail on the paint finish - he picked up alot more than I would have! Though there are a few extra things we noticed that we will raise too.

Jem its funny how similar we are! DH has done alot of work on our build (internal wall sound insulation, electricals and a 230m2 garage and carport) and I am SO looking forward to getting time with him back when we move in! Not that the work will be over for him (far from it!) but at least he won't be travelling 1 hour each way to get there, and I can just pop out and see him or ask him to hold the baby when I need it. I felt like a single parent for a month or so there and although its all for a worthwhile end our little one also picked that time to have major sleep problems and it was very trying!

Yesterday was the best visit to the house yet! We knew the electricity was on so went late in the afternoon so we could hang around until after dark. As we arrived the site fence was being removed, and on walking inside we were greeted with carpet! Only a few things left now. The major one being the sewerage pod, which has been mostly installed and is waiting inspection. With the lights on and the heating going the house was really starting to feel like home. The sunset didn't disapoint either.

yay for the 8 may
and the house is lovely so gorgeous with all the lights on
love the carpet
we are looking at 10 may
It looks great!
your house look absolutely wonderful! and this view from each and every room is amazing
Thanks everyone! Ragnarswife - we were so pleased to find a standard project home that we loved the layout of and that just worked so well on our block. There is a view from every window and its one of many things I really love about the house and the area. Only one bedroom has a sub-par view of a retaining wall (yet to be built) and the garage but even then you can still see into the open paddock behind from the right angle.

Spoke with the SS yesterday and yesterday, today and Monday are scheduled to be very busy days finishing off the house. We need to confirm on Monday in case someone doesn't show to do their job on time, but have tentatively scheduled PCI for next Tuesday, 23 April!

We have been told there is then no set time for handover - it is as quick or as slow as it takes to get the certificate of occupancy and receive the funds from the bank. All going well, we could be getting keys as soon as next Friday, but most likely the week after that.

I just can't believe that this gorgeous house is our house, and we will be moving in about a fortnight! Its been such a long bumpy road to get here I just couldn't imagine that there ever was such a happy ending to the entire thing.
Just a quick update to note we completed our PCI on Tuesday. Nothing major at all, just one or two things still being finished (which we knew about but wanted PCI anyway) and two glass panels in the windows to be replaced.

I was quite disapointed every single window has scratches and many visable past the 1.5m standard but I
didnt insist on them all being replaced, just the two
really bad ones. Some are on windows that will almost never be looked through anyway (ensuite or bathroom) or only noticeable because of the sun and I felt a compromise was fair given how well the house is finished off - we really are very happy with the quality overall.

Still not 100% on when we will get handover but have confidently booked our move for 11th May. Two weeks!
I've just read through your whole thread! Beautiful views and the house looks lovely. I love your kitchen tiles, they look great, love the shape and colour.
Thanks Tina! i think rectangle tiles are much more interesting than square and we love the pattern in them too. The best part is that they were within the standard allowance so we got a tile we loved without paying for upgrades!

Unfortunately there has been a hold up with our sewerage. Not the builders fault as it is a monolpoly supplier and out of the builders control but quite frustrating nonetheless... its held us up by three weeks already and it is looking like we might not have keys for 11 May. Quite disapointed but trying to remember the big picture.
Just read through your thread. What a beautiful house. Love your blue bricks !! Hopefully you will have the keys soon
Ribbon! Congratulations! Handover pics please.......
Excellent result

Related
17/10/2023
Building with Meridian Homes

Building A New House

We are discussing plans with Meridian homes and it is shaping up nicely. Anyone has any experience to share? Have gone through forums but no recent feedback or experience found.

8/11/2023
Our house was beautiful until Distinctive Homes destroyed ou

General Discussion

of course there are legal avenues. You've already mentioned it. Sue them. I find it odd that lawyers wouldnt be willing to take on the case, given CCT evidence and…

17/08/2023
Carpet in the bedroom vs Tiles vs Hybrid Flooring

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi Yash, Have you made a decision yet?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum