Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

How often do you visit your site?

Page 5 of 37
Every day at the moment, but we're waiting for it to go to site (which it did yesterday). I have to drive past the estate to go to/from work, so it's not really that big of a stretch for me to do it. It's also only 7 minutes from where I'm staying, which definately helps a lot.

My parents used to drive up most days when their build was happening and that was about a 20-25 minute drive each way. They had no issues doing it
So far I've visted The Block about 6 or so times in the last 3 weeks, but the first few of those didn't really count cos it was to actually see which blocks were on offer. Can't visit daily even if I want to once building starts cos I'm FIFO, but I'm sure I will be there a fair bit when on my R&R.
If you live nearby, the chances of popping by are more than what we should be doing. We used to pop by twice a week but after construction slowed down, there is nothing much to see.
At the moment I am visiting every week to run data/speaker/home theatre cables. The builder has kindly given me a copy of the construction key to check on progress, drop items off (I am sourcing some of my own tapware, basins, tiles etc) and meet with tradies.

After lockup though if you can only view the outside not much is going to change obviously
I go once a week, usually on the weekend, there's never anyone there so I can have a good look. I drove past on Wednesday but the tradies were on the roof so I didn't stop I just kept driving.
YBBroker
It's really important to visit your site at the early stages, and take a tape measure with you!

When things go seriously wrong in building its generally because mistakes are made with the set-out of the home and the construction of the walls.

I'd suggest the following;

1. Plumbing Prelay - before the slab goes down. Check all plumbing points to make sure waste pipes are in the right position and not in walls and also check that all points are in! Often plumbers leave out a waste pipe for a vanity basin or a floor waste. Mistakes can be made after all, they are only human.
2. Once the slab is poured - Measure the slab distance from the boundary to ensure your setbacks are OK
3. As the walls are going up - Check your brickwork as it's going up to ensure the room dimensions are as per the plans. Good brickies will ping the slab which will show the setout of the walls. That's a great time to run your tape measure BEFORE they lay any bricks.

Steve Fitzpatrick

Thanks Steve - just longing for the day that work finally starts so I can follow your excellent advice!
Every few days/when we expect something to be happening
everyday so far in the early stages.

im glad i do but, as i still havent been contacted by my SS, but have had to sort out a situation with broken concrete on my driveway done by builders from the ajoining lot.

had i not visited and seen the damage, i wouldnt have been able to pinpoint blame to them (we hadnt started building yet), and would have been liable for the damage!
Daily - it helps that we live but five minutes away.
Went 3 times yesterday...
Twiggy
Went 3 times yesterday...

I cannot visit the site as I normally work during weekdays, and the site will be closed after 5pm and on weekends...T_T
hi guys im just about to start building and i have been told that i cannot go on site unless my supervisor is there. The way i see it is that it is my house that is getting built,im paying for it so i will go when ever i want. Has anyone here been kicked off the site by doing this?
That is the norm. It may even be in your contract that you signed.

The general consensus is that smaller private builders (plus Coral) seem to be ok with visiting providing you take care / don't touch anything / don't let kids run around.

Most big building companies will secure the site with a locked fence keeping you offsite unless someone is working there.
I drive past my site everyday as it's less than a minute away and on my way out. Lately I visit daily to take photos as bricks are being done & DH works away
Now that we are getting close.......I am visiting everyday. DH has been doing odd jobs like getting pumps up and running for the water tank......not long now
Currently twice a week as bridling started today. Thankfully we have already made friends with our neighbours and they email me to let us know when things are happening. I live 40mins from my build.
We visited it last night and were visited by the police. Came over to see what we were up to which is good. Took our IDs and called back to base, no convictions so all ok. Had a good chat about the house and the area, everybody driving past was looking as you would. Nice to know the police are watching our new homes. We were told about hot water systems being stolen after hand over by a neighbour passing by on another visit.There are only a couple of bolts holding them on. He suggested getting more bolts attatched and a lock of some sort to give more security. Just thought now I should pass that on.!
Hales
I visit my site twice in a a week but checks my e-mails many times in a day. Because I can't afford to loose any client but neglecting his/her e-mails.
To get ideas I search tools, software and others site

Hales - think you may have misunderstood. The posters are talking about building sites not websites
kyton
Hales
I visit my site twice in a a week but checks my e-mails many times in a day. Because I can't afford to loose any client but neglecting his/her e-mails.
To get ideas I search tools, software and others site

Hales - think you may have misunderstood. The posters are talking about building sites not websites

spam ....gone!!
Related
15/08/2023
I often get asked if now is a good time to build

Building A New House

Well thats a relief! The whole family is sick of waiting.

2/01/2024
In this forum we often rightly criticise builders....

Building A New House

In Victoria you cannot put a caveat on arising from a domestic building contract.

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum