Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Thomas Archer Nouveau 41 Glen Eira Build [2021]

Page 5 of 5
JayxZara
chars0974
Hi, just wondering anyone engaged with TA BC named Hannah? Is she good at coordination? Not sure normally how long your guys get replied from your BC? Thanks

Can't comment on this, but our BC has been awesome. Maybe 2 day reply tops. And the replies have been very thorough and answers everything even if I list 20 questions 😂

Has your build started yet?
Not wanting to hijack thread, and interested to see how your build is coming along also…noticed Insta has also paused atm.

However, has anyone had issues with the second level not being hebel? Ie cracking in render as the blue board / cladding moves? We are also speaking with TA and thinking about asking re doing hebel both bottom and top, but not sure of cost year.
For this build we are doing Hebel both top and bottom. We previously lived in a Hebel home for 12 years and it also can get small cracks where the boards join. Regardless of material, including brick, there will always be small movement.
Hendo88
Not wanting to hijack thread, and interested to see how your build is coming along also…noticed Insta has also paused atm.

However, has anyone had issues with the second level not being hebel? Ie cracking in render as the blue board / cladding moves? We are also speaking with TA and thinking about asking re doing hebel both bottom and top, but not sure of cost year.

our first floor was 152m2 and I believe the extra charge for Hebel was 12k.

just as an fyi re cost and size.
Thank you both, info is much appreciated!
Hi guys. Sorry we've been MIA, have had lots of things come up (like having another kid!) that has made us completely forget about this thread.

A quick update, and may get into more detail if I find the time:

We have finished lockup stage (although we disagree), and plaster is going in as we speak. We have had our fair share of issues and delays.

One thing I'll say is, I can live with delays in the build due to trades and material. I can't live with poor workmanship, lack of quality and an illogical flow of work.

We are quite disappointed with the issues we have dealt with so far, and if we didn't catch issues and constantly kick up a fuss, it would have been swept under the rug (or hidden under the plaster let's say) and we wouldn't have known the difference, except possibly later down the line after having moved in.

Anyway, we are on track to have fixing stage completed before Christmas. Our contract ends around mid April, so hoping they can deliver before that, but I definitely won't hold my breath.
px8
Thanks for the detailed reply. For ourselves - so far so good. But have seen TA getting more businesses and busier - not sure if they could still maintain the expected "boutique" level...

The cost of the tank ($5k+) is really an "OUCH"... I am still very struggling whether we shall move to full electricity and opt for heat pump. Obviously the tank itself would not be able to justify the so heavy investment.

This post of yours has not aged well... Specifically around the maintenance of the expected "boutique" level. 😂
JayxZara
px8
Thanks for the detailed reply. For ourselves - so far so good. But have seen TA getting more businesses and busier - not sure if they could still maintain the expected "boutique" level...

The cost of the tank ($5k+) is really an "OUCH"... I am still very struggling whether we shall move to full electricity and opt for heat pump. Obviously the tank itself would not be able to justify the so heavy investment.

This post of yours has not aged well... Specifically around the maintenance of the expected "boutique" level. 😂

Funny thing about sales renderings they always age well.
they generate sales and suck battlers in for deposits to start the design/construct process.
The pit falls come later, OUCH, generally by design

OT, The disconnect between Green washing and reality is starting to hit home with cost and interest rate increases.
JayxZara
Hi guys. Sorry we've been MIA, have had lots of things come up (like having another kid!) that has made us completely forget about this thread.

We have finished lockup stage (although we disagree), and plaster is going in as we speak. We have had our fair share of issues and delays.

One thing I'll say is, I can live with delays in the build due to trades and material. I can't live with poor workmanship, lack of quality and an illogical flow of work.

We are quite disappointed with the issues we have dealt with so far, and if we didn't catch issues and constantly kick up a fuss, it would have been swept under the rug (or hidden under the plaster let's say) and we wouldn't have known the difference, except possibly later down the line after having moved in.

Anyway, we are on track to have fixing stage completed before Christmas. Our contract ends around mid April, so hoping they can deliver before that, but I definitely won't hold my breath.

Hi.

We have just signed our HIA. It has been and frustrating road to get here. I’m sad to hear about your frustrations. Wondering if you had building inspectors throughout your journey? If so, who? How did Thomas Archer go fixing up all the issues they reported?
If you have any advice for us I would be very grateful.

Thank you

Zoe.
zipzap
JayxZara

Hi.

We have just signed our HIA. It has been and frustrating road to get here. I’m sad to hear about your frustrations. Wondering if you had building inspectors throughout your journey? If so, who? How did Thomas Archer go fixing up all the issues they reported?

Thank you

Zoe.

Hi Zoe,

I think we have spoken briefly in the TA Facebook group. Same names as our username here.

We are using Darbecca. Luckily, our SS has been receptive to fixing issues, although I do feel a general attitude towards 'this is unnecessary but I'll do it anyway to make you happy."

Darbecca have been great with the thoroughness of their inspections, and also general help and guidance with the plethora of building issues that we have come up against.

My advice moving into the build phase is, try to stay on top of what is happening, as I know if I didn't pull them up on all the things I did, they would have moved ahead and covered up the issues.

Best of luck, and feel free to reach out to me on Facebook if you have any questions etc. That you don't get comfortable speaking about in public.

Cheers,

Jay
JayxZara
px8

Would you mind sharing a bit on the major issues you have experienced? Obviously am not after a very detailed list; but would like to be cautious about the big (hidden) problems...

Thanks!!
JayxZara
zipzap
JayxZara

Hi.

Thank you

Zoe.

Hi Zoe,

I think we have spoken briefly in the TA Facebook group. Same names as our username here.

We are using Darbecca. Luckily, our SS has been receptive to fixing issues, although I do feel a general attitude towards 'this is unnecessary but I'll do it anyway to make you happy."

Darbecca have been great with the thoroughness of their inspections, and also general help and guidance with the plethora of building issues that we have come up against.

My advice moving into the build phase is, try to stay on top of what is happening, as I know if I didn't pull them up on all the things I did, they would have moved ahead and covered up the issues.

Best of luck, and feel free to reach out to me on Facebook if you have any questions etc. That you don't get comfortable speaking about in public.

Cheers,

Jay

Hi Jay,

Sorry to hear about your frustrations. We are currently with TA but now seriously considering other builders due to a few factors..
What stage are you at now?
Would you build with them again?
Appreciate your feedback.. we’re at a cross road..
Hello - sorry to jump in .. we are with TA building atm - we would not build with them again. The headache and drama is not worth it. Go with a smaller builder where you are more important and they need your business.
Related
21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

20/07/2023
Building Site Access - Victoria - New Build

General Discussion

For reference, this is the Austlii reference. My take on this is, that they would be breaking the law denying access to a homeowner in Victoria, or their agent from having…

27/07/2023
James Hardie Linea Weatherboard - Issue - Current Build

General Discussion

Does it wipe off? Could be because of dry dirty drips.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum