Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Anyone Built with Langford Jones (Melbourne)?

Page 5 of 6
TeresaYoung
cheryl charilaou-ung
Does anyone know if variations are covered with insurance?

Yes I have just filled in my insurance claim and there is a section for variations

did you put in any other charges like rent or temporary fencing
cheryl charilaou-ung
TeresaYoung
cheryl charilaou-ung

Yes I have just filled in my insurance claim and there is a section for variations

You would do best to get legal advice from an insurance lawyer before you fill out the forms.
AFAIK, Variations post contract, ie, builders requesting price increases for unforeseen circumstances may push the build contract into a higher premium bracket. The builder is required to update the insurance policy and you should get a copy? Unfortunately most don't ?
Cheers
Chris
John Daly from ABC radio wants to know if anyone wants to do a prerecorded radio interview with him this morning?
TeresaYoung
John Daly from ABC radio wants to know if anyone wants to do a prerecorded radio interview with him this morning?

For people building with Langford Jones Homes. Donna Taylor from Phillip Island had a great interview on ABC TV this morning trying to let everyone know what Langford Jones Homes has been ripping people off with unethical behaviour for asking for advance payments on Post contract variations
ANJ1
Yep got the email this morning, they're going into liquidation.
:( I'm in the middle of the build with them in San Remo (framing almost done), does anyone know exactly how the domestic building insurance works in this situation? The VMIA/DBI information isn't that clear. I'm also keen to see if I can get the construction drawings back so I can pass it onto future builders. Anyone knows how this can be done? Pointless contact LJH as no one is there anymore.

Are you wanting to join our support group for the bass coast home owners building with LANGFORD
sarah.c
Debbiep6625
cheryl charilaou-ung
I'd be threatening them with the DBDRV or starting an application - they don't give a crap about customers. Paul is trying to start a design business and failing miserably.

Please email me debbiep6625@icloud. Com

Hi Debbie, we're mid build LJ Homes, can I send you an email please? Cheers

Where are you building?
cheryl charilaou-ung
TeresaYoung
cheryl charilaou-ung

No we haven't. Only spoke with fencing company yesterday and now they have sent us an invoice to pay
If anyone is interested his name is John Daly ABC radio m. 044794679
He only asked for my name and where I lived.
He might even let you be anonymous, maybe ask?
Japevias67
toocan 23
LJH took our money for preliminaries, BP, and variations back in mid 2021, then started to mess us around with no communication, no responses, then when you did hear from them, they just give COVID excuses, its all crap and they are dishonest. Keep away from them is an understatement. Kiss my deposit and variations payment goodbye most likely. Don't know how to get any money back from the crooks?

Hi Toocan
I’m in the same boat. Contract signed Aug21 after delays. Paid deposit then For variations then the silent treatment since December. No construction has started. Was building insurance organised?

I got the insurance in May 2022, after 10 months from signing!! They obviously had no money for the important things.
toocan 23
I got the insurance in May 2022, after 10 months from signing!! They obviously had no money for the important things.

The builder is a recognised OAM (Other Australians Monies) recipient (humour)
OT, Contract is not enforceable until insurance is paid,
You pay him $50K and he pays $5K insurance
where's the other $45K?
Correct starting your build wasn't important? (humour)
Badluck... better luck next time, maybe not?
I really feel for everyone impacted. From the stories here it sounds like all the usual rubbish by a builder prior to an insolvency event.

AVM470
I really feel for everyone impacted. From the stories here it sounds like all the usual rubbish by a builder prior to an insolvency event.

• I noticed some people unsure about having all their drawings and documents. Remember that the building surveyor in theory works for you the Owner, not the builder (even though the builder needs to liaise and work with them). This is by law. So you should have no issues asking the building surveyor for all permit documents, and they should give it to no questions asked, and no fees. The permit documents would basically be everything needed for another builder to take over. They will usually just give you a link with all the stamped documents. This is assuming you are at that stage. If you don't yet have a permit, it's a different issue, but you hopefully haven't yet spent too much.
  • I've also seen some queries about whether another building permit would need to be issued. There answer is yes it does. The completion builder would need their registration on the new permit.
  • This probably sounds obvious and I'm sure your lawyers, the VMIA and you yourself will or have told you this, but act fast in getting your claim in etc - particularly if you are at frame stage or aren't locked up. A grey/rotting frame, a messy and abandoned site is much less attractive to take on by a replacement builder as there's more perceived risk. More risk = higher cost on top of what is going to be additional costs as it is.

I was told by the surveyor yesterday that we can still use the permit we are under but the new builder has to do a new contract and warranty insurance?
They probably mean none of the documentation needs amendment and so all of the drawings and reports can simply be re-used (unless you are planning to amend). The permit would need to be re-issued with the a new builder's registration.
AVM470
They probably mean none of the documentation needs amendment and so all of the drawings and reports can simply be re-used (unless you are planning to amend). The permit would need to be re-issued with the a new builder's registration.

Okay thanks
If you have not started your build can you claim increased costs with a new builder for a new contract under VMIA? I'm guessing not as this would fall under damages.
No Cheryl. You can only claim costs related to your current contract (including costs related to making the claim).

Read the full insurance policy found here: https://www.dbi.vmia.vic.gov.au/policies

Also, a neat summary of the policy here: https://www.dbi.vmia.vic.gov.au/-/media ... 1331DA851B
Hi all I just spoke to an insurance claims officer today. Technically you are not covered for variations unless the build has started. If you have any emails which state they will not issue a building permit or start the job unless variations are paid upload it to your claim. They are investigating so the more evidence we can show of misconduct the better
How do I join the Facebook page? I have asked with no help. What is it called?
Hey there,

Is anyone here has any feedback for Beach House Constructions? We are now very cautious about choosing our next builder. I have checked the Phillip Island community page but not much info there. What other pages in Bass Coast you guys using to get info?
Beach House Constructions did/do higher end homes haven't seen any builds by them in a while I think they do more around Inverloch. Lamar Homes also did some builds around Smiths Beach not sure if they are still building. I have not used either and have no connection with either. Beach House Construction always great looking houses. Lots in Silverleaves.
Related
23/04/2024
Omaxe homes - Melbourne - anyone built with them?

Building A New House

I haven’t. But have a Lowe Design home. Not only did I find Matt Lowe patronising and a bully, but the home is NOT TO CODE. I have water coming through the bricks…

26/10/2023
Building with Mcdonalds jones home

Building A New House

Hi AKG, We had a base tender of $592 for 31 squares from MC Donald Jones. It looks relatively cheaper than other builders. But I assume there are many hidden things that…

21/11/2023
Has anyone built a home with Masterpiece Builders?

Building A New House

Hi All, we are starting to think of building with Masterpiece Builders in Victoria, has anyone had any feedback or experience with them

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum