Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom Build, Pool Update pics 31/5/2024

Page 5 of 6
Our builder is back on deck today completing the last bit of the driveway and footpath concreting. We are about 2 weeks away from handover.

Window coverings installed yesterday. Went with a mix of single and double roller blinds combining a sunscreen and a blockout. Very happy with the result. Some of the blinds are motorised via a solar panel strip / recharable battery motor.

Theres a floor to ceiling sheer curtain yet to be installed over these blockouts

Heres a link to the Staircase blind in action

https://youtube.com/shorts/_3aXwj09KWw?feature=share
Solar system install completed. 11.44kw (26 x 440W panels). Will need to wait until the NBN is connected so I can do the Enphase App setup but the system is active and producing now.

The temp fence has been removed! The final site clean has been done, and PC walk-thru booked for Friday next week.

KnockItDown
Window coverings installed yesterday. Went with a mix of single and double roller blinds combining a sunscreen and a blockout. Very happy with the result. Some of the blinds are motorised via a solar panel strip / recharable battery motor.

Theres a floor to ceiling sheer curtain yet to be installed over these blockouts

Your house looks great, a question for you, you stated "Theres a floor to ceiling sheer curtain yet to be installed over these blockouts", do you mean the track for sheer will be mounted to the ceiling? I see you have cornice there, I was told by the curtain people that I cannot have the track mounted to the ceiling due to the cornice, it has to be on the wall just lower the cornice.
Flamingo
KnockItDown

Your house looks great, a question for you, you stated "Theres a floor to ceiling sheer curtain yet to be installed over these blockouts", do you mean the track for sheer will be mounted to the ceiling? I see you have cornice there, I was told by the curtain people that I cannot have the track mounted to the ceiling due to the cornice, it has to be on the wall just lower the cornice.

We have ceiling-mounted sheers with a cornice. They can do this where the sheers do not need to track all the way to the side wall. If they need to go all the way to the side wall, then they fix on the wall under the cornice as you note. We actually have both methods in our place, and both look good.

Photos:

Thanks for the question, as per the last pic from SJT76, we have space either side of the windows so the track will be mounted to the ceiling in front of the cornice.
KnockItDown
Hi Colin, I did the original designs of the house which I drew myself based on what we wanted. I then approached a number of builders to see if they could build to my design.

As expected, a number of builders weren't interested due to the slope (2.5 metre fall over the build envelope).

I started along the initial sketch / site layout process with 2 builders and then settled on the one that could meet our needs and could also build what we wanted to the budget we had. That builder is presenting their formal tender to us on Monday. All things going well we will progress from there.

Can I just say - thank you SO much for sharing your timeline and experience! I have found it a bit hard to find adequate information on each step that occurs (and a general timeframe or details of what happens) BEFORE you get to starting the actual 'building the house' part.
I find so much advice out there skims right over the very important initial ' how to get finance sorted, find a builder, get quote/s' stage, and talks more about each stage during the house construction. Your blog has given me a nice insight into what can happen from the very beginning.

Something I think I will also share when I get to that stage, because I have been frustrated with the lack of explanation of so many aspects of building a home!!
Cheers thanks. Yep building a house has many elements and challenges along the way.

Before we bought the block we knew it wasn't going to be your typical build, and that it would throw up various challenges to overcome. We managed to kept things in perspective and worked through each issue as they came to light.

A Site Supervisor that knows what they are doing and how to communicate effectively is crititcal to a smooth build. We were extremely fortunate that our SS is fantastic. Knows what he is doing, holds trades to an extremely high standard, and communicates on a regualar basis regardless if its good or bad news.

One thing to remember though, your SS is not your friend or your mate. Keep it profesional (Customer / Supplier) during the build.

Hopefully your build goes smoothly.
Just caught up on this thread and it's amazing to see the results from start to (almost) finish. There's always going to be challenges working with any builder.

Is there any advice you'd give around keeping the SS (and his team) accountable to what they promised to deliver? Should I be showing up to the site quite regularly? What kinds of questions do you tend to ask if you're not happy with the end result?

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Jamassav
Just caught up on this thread and it's amazing to see the results from start to (almost) finish. There's always going to be challenges working with any builder.

Is there any advice you'd give around keeping the SS (and his team) accountable to what they promised to deliver? Should I be showing up to the site quite regularly? What kinds of questions do you tend to ask if you're not happy with the end result?

Cheers thanks, yes we are almost there.

In answer to your questions, starting off on the right foot with your SS is critical. Have a discusion and agree on what each other expects from the releationship of SS and Customer. My SS usually rang or at least texted most Friday's or Monday's as to what was completed or planned and a rough timeframe for that item.

Those weekly timelines are subject to change so dont expect your SS to advise you that for examle, the vanties that were suposed to be installed on Monday this week hasnt happened until Wednesday. Dont sweat the small stuff like this. Pinging your SS over this type of stuff will erode your releationship wit hthem very quickly.

Visiting the site: The official line is you're not suposed to during the build. In reality, we all do it.

My best advice is - Dont run site tours with extended family, friends, or large groups. Dont go in if there are trades onsite doing stuff. You are 100% not covered or insured if you happen to hurt yourself or anyone else as a result of you being onsite breaching the contract conditon.

How often you visit your site is up to you. I averaged 1-2 times per week depending on what was happening.

Talking to Tradies - The tradies are there working for the builder not you. It's best not to ask them any sort of technical question about what or how they are doing something. Some tradies are more than willing to talk to you but just keep the conv light about generic subjects. Any questions re: quality of a particular trade needs to be directed to your SS and not via a conv with a tradie onsite as this tends to end badly for the customer.

The biggest and most important thing to remember is building is not a perfect world and things go wrong all the time. The measure of a good builder is the manner in which they approach those things that go wrong and how transparent they are with you about them.
KnockItDown
Jamassav

Cheers thanks, yes we are almost there.

In answer to your questions, starting off on the right foot with your SS is critical. Have a discusion and agree on what each other expects from the releationship of SS and Customer. My SS usually rang or at least texted most Friday's or Monday's as to what was completed or planned and a rough timeframe for that item.

Those weekly timelines are subject to change so dont expect your SS to advise you that for examle, the vanties that were suposed to be installed on Monday this week hasnt happened until Wednesday. Dont sweat the small stuff like this. Pinging your SS over this type of stuff will erode your releationship wit hthem very quickly.

Visiting the site: The official line is you're not suposed to during the build. In reality, we all do it.

My best advice is - Dont run site tours with extended family, friends, or large groups. Dont go in if there are trades onsite doing stuff. You are 100% not covered or insured if you happen to hurt yourself or anyone else as a result of you being onsite breaching the contract conditon.

How often you visit your site is up to you. I averaged 1-2 times per week depending on what was happening.

Talking to Tradies - The tradies are there working for the builder not you. It's best not to ask them any sort of technical question about what or how they are doing something. Some tradies are more than willing to talk to you but just keep the conv light about generic subjects. Any questions re: quality of a particular trade needs to be directed to your SS and not via a conv with a tradie onsite as this tends to end badly for the customer.

The biggest and most important thing to remember is building is not a perfect world and things go wrong all the time. The measure of a good builder is the manner in which they approach those things that go wrong and how transparent they are with you about them.

Thank you so much for your advice. I figured the SS would play an important role. We met with GJ Gardner today and they said they will try to keep the same SS for the job but if they have to leave for another job then we'll get the director instead. Not sure what to make of it. All the best for the rest of your build!
PC walkthrough conducted today and we did our defect and imperfections mark up with painters tape.

Recevied the Occupancy Certificate this morning.

Handover looking good for 13/14 - Feb.
Phase 2 of the retaining wall has commenced.

The wall is a 9.5m extension of the first wall down the side boundary and then across the width of the block to create a platform area where the pool is going.

There was an exisitng gravity block wall across the block which was poorly constrcuted, no drainage, and wasn't even straight. This will all be rectified by the replacement wall and also create a nice sized usable back yard in the process.

The wall is complete! Over the moon happy with the space it has created.

KnockItDown

you are so close now!

How exciting
Ashington Homes
KnockItDown

you are so close now!

How exciting

Yep the big clean is happening Monday and then the house is clear to handover from Tuesday next week. Just aligning mine and the Mrs calendars to make it happen.
I'll just leave this here.

Congrats. I've recently joined the forum, and have caught up with your exciting journey.
Ideally the pool shell should have been done and then covered before the build. I'm fortunate enough to have 2.4m wide side access down the left hand side of the house.

The pool excavation was going great until we hit an old septic tank. Had to arrange for a separate skip to dispose of it. After that is was smooth sailing with the dig, steel fixing, and plumbing now complete. Concrete booked for this coming Tuesday, 2/4/24.

Related
15/02/2024
Welcome to 2024 - Gyprocking prices have increased 40%!

Building A New House

Tradie may sit at home but will need to get house plastered as well or will you sit it out?

23/04/2024
NCC Changes Coming 1 May 2024

Building A New House

I engaged my builder in December last year and we’ve been working on preliminary drawings for last couple of months. I got a call from the salesperson this morning…

29/04/2024
Best electric hot water system in 2024?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

For our new build in NSW we opted for a heat pump with a 315L storage tank. Early days yet as we only moved in 6 weeks ago. Haven't run out out of hot water though. Ours…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum