Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Metricon

Page 351 of 433
Doulton777
Are you sure they are not the old ones? And since then replaced them?

viewtopic.php?t=86597

Definitely. We saw it on Wednesday and then saw it as they were plastering. Ones that had previously been on the wall were not. My SM says they will fix it and he explained how. I only hope he isn’t just saying it but actually they don’t do anything.

emmyawards
Doulton777
Are you sure they are not the old ones? And since then replaced them?

viewtopic.php?t=86597

Definitely. We saw it on Wednesday and then saw it as they were plastering. Ones that had previously been on the wall were not. My SM says they will fix it and he explained how. I only hope he isn’t just saying it but actually they don’t do anything.

Oh I really hope they fix it for you. I wonder if your inspector can check it? I wouldn’t chance it

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Hi All,
For those that knockdown and rebuild in Melb.

Do you demolished your house before the building permit been approved for the new house or do you wait until the building permit has been issued.

Thanks
MyFirst
Hi All,
For those that knockdown and rebuild in Melb.

Do you demolished your house before the building permit been approved for the new house or do you wait until the building permit has been issued.

Thanks

I waited till the building permit had been approved before demolition even the builder recommended that.
Or else in their words" you could be left with an empty piece of land". So I waited till the permit was issued.
We did ours way in advance - our property value increased when we knocked down the old house

Having an issue with Metricon at the moment. They believe that this is an acceptable standard for a gloss painted door. Obviously I do not think so. Am I being too critical.

Write re

ply...
stanus
Seems like the SS not doing his job to regularly check the site.
I agree a facebook post on their facebook page is in order.
If i was the manager of the SS i would be annoyed at the thousands of dollars of waste.
The SS are just as bad, I had to get them involved with my build towards the end.

Now it makes sense where the SS get their leadership from lol

p76rangie
Having an issue with Metricon at the moment. They believe that this is an acceptable standard for a gloss painted door. Obviously I do not think so. Am I being too critical.

Haha. I thought I was looking at frosted glass. It’s called Paint Orange Peel effect. Happens when using incorrect nozzle or too low pressure when spray painting. The fix is to sand it down with 1200 grit paper to smooth the surface and respray.

Can’t remember the standard. I think the building code is if you can’t see it from 1m away, then it’s acceptable. Double check the building code.

Nabeelc
p76rangie

Haha. I thought I was looking at frosted glass. It’s called Paint Orange Peel effect. Happens when using incorrect nozzle or too low pressure when spray painting. The fix is to sand it down with 1200 grit paper to smooth the surface and respray.

Can’t remember the standard. I think the building code is if you can’t see it from 1m away, then it’s acceptable. Double check the building code.

I think it’s 1.5 metres away.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
For fixture and fittings, such as doors, the standard viewing point is 600mm away. But Metricon insist that while the door is a fixture, the paint on it is not. You can try a figure the logic in that out because I cannot. Therefore, they claim that the correct viewing conditions are 1.5m away in a dark passage with no light reflecting on the door.

Of course we are being punished now. This is the Metricon way. If you dare raise an issue with them, they will stop the build or other punishment until you drop the complaint.

It is illegal for Metricon in Victoria to demand payment of the deposit for the house without having Domestic Building Insurance in place. Metricon openly admit in writing that they do not get DBI until after the deposit is paid. But if you query them not having it, and your deposit being at risk, they simply refuse to go ahead with the contract.

In Victoria many councils charge a development levy. This levy is only ever payable when you apply for a building permit. It can be several thousand dollars. As it is a cost associated with obtaining a building permit, under the contract, Metricon is obliged to pay for it. But of course they refuse and again refuse to move forward with the build until you pay the levy.

So expect threats and intimidation if you ever try to raise an issue with anything Metricon does on your home.

They had agreed to allow us to get fencing people on the property to put up the side fencing. The have now withdrawn that offer due to our compliant about the doors.
p76rangie
For fixture and fittings, such as doors, the standard viewing point is 600mm away. But Metricon insist that while the door is a fixture, the paint on it is not. You can try a figure the logic in that out because I cannot. Therefore, they claim that the correct viewing conditions are 1.5m away in a dark passage with no light reflecting on the door.

Of course we are being punished now. This is the Metricon way. If you dare raise an issue with them, they will stop the build or other punishment until you drop the complaint.

It is illegal for Metricon in Victoria to demand payment of the deposit for the house without having Domestic Building Insurance in place. Metricon openly admit in writing that they do not get DBI until after the deposit is paid. But if you query them not having it, and your deposit being at risk, they simply refuse to go ahead with the contract.

In Victoria many councils charge a development levy. This levy is only ever payable when you apply for a building permit. It can be several thousand dollars. As it is a cost associated with obtaining a building permit, under the contract, Metricon is obliged to pay for it. But of course they refuse and again refuse to move forward with the build until you pay the levy.

So expect threats and intimidation if you ever try to raise an issue with anything Metricon does on your home.

They had agreed to allow us to get fencing people on the property to put up the side fencing. The have now withdrawn that offer due to our compliant about the doors.

Are you getting your independent inspection? If so, clarify the issue with them. If they say it’s a proper defect, then you have something to stand on. Otherwise it comes down to your relationship with your Site Supervisor.

p76rangie

We get told 1.5M away with no light source on a daily bases.

Of course that is what Metricon want to be used as the further away the better. However, for fixture and fittings it is 600mm at a maximum angle of 45 degrees.

http://www.vba.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... s-2015.pdf
p76rangie
Of course that is what Metricon want to be used as the further away the better. However, for fixture and fittings it is 600mm at a maximum angle of 45 degrees.

http://www.vba.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... s-2015.pdf
Example where this is the case.

Do you think that finish is acceptable for something that the owner has gone into debt for life to pay for?

I get tired of the term "acceptable standard" when the only person that thinks it is acceptable is the person that did it and does not want to redo it.

A "tradesman" finish use to mean a quality job. Now it simply means the lowest standard that they think they can get away with so they can get the work done in the minimum time and get onto the next job.

While people accept the word of people like Metricon and do not do their own checking, it will continue to happen.

The best thing you can do is become a member of the State Library. Once you are a member, you can view the Australian Standards online. Otherwise they are around $180 to $200 EACH to purchase.
p76rangie
Do you think that finish is acceptable for something that the owner has gone into debt for life to pay for?

I get tired of the term "acceptable standard" when the only person that thinks it is acceptable is the person that did it and does not want to redo it.

A "tradesman" finish use to mean a quality job. Now it simply means the lowest standard that they think they can get away with so they can get the work done in the minimum time and get onto the next job.

While people accept the word of people like Metricon and do not do their own checking, it will continue to happen.

The best thing you can do is become a member of the State Library. Once you are a member, you can view the Australian Standards online. Otherwise they are around $180 to $200 EACH to purchase.
I don't think is acceptable in any way, but unfortunately I am looking at it on a angle and have a side light source.

This is what M and any other builders considers within tolerance.

Renman
p76rangie

I don't think is acceptable in any way, but unfortunately I am looking at it on a angle and have a side light source.

You would love my ss then Ren. He puts tape on the smallest of marks. I think he thinks of himself. If that was his house he wouldn’t like it. So he wants it fixed.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Doulton777
Renman
p76rangie

You would love my ss then Ren. He puts tape on the smallest of marks. I think he thinks of himself. If that was his house he wouldn’t like it. So he wants it fixed.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
If only we all could get someone like that.

Hi guys, as mentioned before I've signed the contract for a sentosa 45. Pretty much all the variations that I wanted are not allowed. A little bit puzzled. For example one of the changes I wanted as an extra entrance to a room which is not allowed.

But the main variation I wanted was to increase the height of my outdoor room to the top floor and close it up with walls which will create a void like in the following pictures. But my sales consultant told me it was not possible "as that is something that a only custom builder could accommodate but unfortunately we are not a custom builder and we are unable to alter the plans that much."

I find it puzzling when I see so many people building with Metricon making so many changes, yet it's impossible for me to increase the height for an outdoor room to the top floor (which should be easier than all the other internal changes I've seen other people do) and build walls around it. Can anyone advice?

I've been told by some people on facebook building groups and a former employee that my change is very simple and should be do-able. I even approached small independent builders about the addition I wanted to make and they actually told me to just ask Metricon to do it.

I did purchase it as a house and land package but have been advised that it shouldn't make a difference.

My unit is a corner unit, however it is separated form the next house by a road, a stretch of trees (it's a small park walkway?) and another road. So I don't believe it would have been a privacy issue.

Any input would be very much appreciated. I would very much like to settle this soon. Thanks guys!

Freak_Zombie
Hi guys, as mentioned before I've signed the contract for a sentosa 45. Pretty much all the variations that I wanted are not allowed. A little bit puzzled. For example one of the changes I wanted as an extra entrance to a room which is not allowed.

But the main variation I wanted was to increase the height of my outdoor room to the top floor and close it up with walls which will create a void like in the following pictures. But my sales consultant told me it was not possible "as that is something that a only custom builder could accommodate but unfortunately we are not a custom builder and we are unable to alter the plans that much."

I find it puzzling when I see so many people building with Metricon making so many changes, yet it's impossible for me to increase the height for an outdoor room to the top floor (which should be easier than all the other internal changes I've seen other people do) and build walls around it. Can anyone advice?

I've been told by some people on facebook building groups and a former employee that my change is very simple and should be do-able. I even approached small independent builders about the addition I wanted to make and they actually told me to just ask Metricon to do it.

I did purchase it as a house and land package but have been advised that it shouldn't make a difference.

My unit is a corner unit, however it is separated form the next house by a road, a stretch of trees (it's a small park walkway?) and another road. So I don't believe it would have been a privacy issue.

Any input would be very much appreciated. I would very much like to settle this soon. Thanks guys!

Are you kidding me they are still fighting you on this? You should see how many changers I have made to our home. It’s the biggest structural changers Metricon has ever made to any home. We added two extra bedrooms. 2 jack and Jill’s,a lounge room over the alfresco which at that stage Metricon didn’t like building over alfresco area. Now they are doing easier for other people.

First off who did you speak too? Was it your Csc? If so i would go higher up. There’s no reason why they couldn’t do it.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum