Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our Custom Hamptons Inspired Home - We are in!!!

Page 34 of 40
love those lights dani! they look great.

so your sparky is all good to adjust them to local voltage?

with ours for the bathroom, we had to get the sparky to modify the voltage down to 12v as it was in a wet area so 240v was a no no apparently.
Christoshizz
love those lights dani! they look great.

so your sparky is all good to adjust them to local voltage?

with ours for the bathroom, we had to get the sparky to modify the voltage down to 12v as it was in a wet area so 240v was a no no apparently.

Thanks mate. I don't think they need to be low voltage. If you are referring to the IP rating, I think that really only comes into play if the lights are directly above or close to a water source such as a shower or bath.

The pendant in our powder will be offset to the side, so not above the basin. And our sconces in the ensuite will be high up on the wall. But I guess I'll find out for sure when the time comes!
Annoyed today to find out our kitchen might not be in until mid April due to a delay with the manufacturer (Laminex). We’ve already been waiting for six weeks and this is going to continue to hold up our painting and tiling. Just so frustrating as it feels like we’ve made hardly any progress since Christmas.

It’s coming up to almost year now since our site cut so my patience is starting to run out...

On a positive note rendering will be done next week. So this weekend we’ll be digging up the neighbours garden alongside the garage to give the renderer proper access. Lucky the neighbours have been understanding about it and fingers crossed we can nicely reinstate it all the following week.

Oh and the additional pendants I ordered from the UK arrived yesterday. Great products and value for money, and only 10 days from ordering to delivery - can’t beat that!
I feel your pain Dani!!

Don't worry you will get there. Post some pics of your lights when you get a chance !

Omg. This week just got worse!! So apparently we can’t have the cabinets we want in the ensuite and powder room. We asked for pearl grey in the colourtech (2 pac) satin finish with a shaker profile and apparently it can’t be done.

This is what the cabinet makers have said:
Laminex IND are unable to do the Pearl grey Satin on the Shaker door. They never do it but for me they tried 4 times and it is not coming out right. The reason for this is the very fine chamfer on the door and there is nothing for the paint to stick to being that Satin is a lot thinner paint then the other finishes and that a darker colour stands out that is why white is O.K to use

So they've said they can only do white in that profile and finish, or we need to go with a textured finish, or else no profile to keep the colour and finish.

Has anyone heard of this? Or has anyone has similar cabinets installed that disproves this? I've seen similar stuff in display homes so idea why they are having trouble with it.
Sounds like BS to me. The doors would need an undercoat/primer: that is what the paint would stick to. The colour would not have anything to do with it.

Our profile is shaker with a chamfer, and the colour is Hog Bristle 1/4. I think it's satin.

Ask for them to courier/post one of the samples to you so you can see in person how the paint has not taken. I'd also go to a kitchen place and ask if there are any limitations with colour when using a satin paint on that profile door.

Good luck.
SquirtyChookGirl
Sounds like BS to me. The doors would need an undercoat/primer: that is what the paint would stick to. The colour would not have anything to do with it.

Our profile is shaker with a chamfer, and the colour is Hog Bristle 1/4. I think it's satin.

Ask for them to courier/post one of the samples to you so you can see in person how the paint has not taken. I'd also go to a kitchen place and ask if there are any limitations with colour when using a satin paint on that profile door.

Good luck.

Thanks SCG. That’s makes sense and thanks for advice. Good idea to check with another place. Might even give Laminex themselves a call. Surely they’d know if there are any limitations!

This week internal painting has started as well as the outside render. Happy to see some progress while waiting for the cabinets.

In the end we just decided to go with a textured finish on the cabinets. Saw them in a display home and didn’t mind them so not worth the hassle of insisting on the satin finish. We’ve still got the satin finish in the kitchen which is the main thing, more just for ease of wiping down the smoother surface

Another pic from today. First coat complete. Looks like a completely different house! So happy to finally cover up those ugly red builder’s bricks

I assume it still needs another coat/ to be painted and then sealed as the colour should be a darker grey (shale grey).

Painting of staircase also started today. We’ve gone with a stain called brown japan for the handrail and steps. Second left from bottom in pic below.

Dani_J
Another pic from today. First coat complete. Looks like a completely different house! So happy to finally cover up those ugly red builder’s bricks

I assume it still needs another coat/ to be painted and then sealed as the colour should be a darker grey (shale grey).

Painting of staircase also started today. We’ve gone with a stain called brown japan for the handrail and steps. Second left from bottom in pic below.

Looks great. How exciting.

www.waldorfgrangebuild.wordpress.com
Wow it looks fantastic

Is it shale grey all over? We have shale grey on our cladding and it looks like that, its a very light grey, that photo looks about right to me
allblaqk
Is it shale grey all over? We have shale grey on our cladding and it looks like that, its a very light grey, that photo looks about right to me

The cladding is in Dieskau and the render should be Shale Grey but it looks too light to me compared to other houses I've seen. Though it does really depends on the light. In the afternoon sun everything just looks beige!
Dani_J
allblaqk

The cladding is in Dieskau and the render should be Shale Grey but it looks too light to me compared to other houses I've seen. Though it does really depends on the light. In the afternoon sun everything just looks beige!

We have shale grey pillars and it’s really light we have it near surfmist render and I wish we’d chosen a bit darker

Your place is looking great Dani!

BrownDog77

We have shale grey pillars and it’s really light we have it near surfmist render and I wish we’d chosen a bit darker

On the colour chart surfmist and shale grey are definitely quite different. Are you sure they got the colour right?

Shale grey should look quite dark when it's overcast, but looks a lot lighter in bright light.

Will be checking with our SS to confirm.
Dani_J
BrownDog77

On the colour chart surfmist and shale grey are definitely quite different. Are you sure they got the colour right?

Shale grey should look quite dark when it's overcast, but looks a lot lighter in bright light.

Will be checking with our SS to confirm.

You can see they are different but shale on large scale is a very light grey

Main lot of painting has finally been done. I love the colour. Just the right shade of light grey we were aiming for. Definitely glad now we tested all those sample pots!!

Third pic down is bathroom which is a darker shade. Hope this will really pop once half height wall of white subway tiles are installed.

Also really happy with stain of the hand rail. It looks black in the photos but is actually a nice chocolate brown in person. All it needs is a coat of clear gloss. Steps also still to be stained in same chocolate brown and risers painted white. These will be done later to avoid getting damaged.

Gorgeous
Amazing!!!!

Related
27/09/2023
Custom home builder in north east Melbourne

Building A New House

Hi, can anyone recommend a custom home builder who can build in north east area? Looking to build a custom 4-br energy-efficient home with a max budget of 750k. If they…

1/01/2024
Custom Home Design - Suggestions and Recommendation

Building A New House

ideal house depends on the site and location as much as internal floor plan....what is the distance from the house to all four boundaries, where is north, describe your…

16/06/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Sadly no movement on site since soak wells went in. There are also missing/wrong storm water drains which need to be sorted, along with a broken pipe. Plumbing has been…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum