Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Re: Commodore Homes, Whiteman Edge: Retaining Wall

Page 34 of 42
when my wife was explaining it via text I just thought it was the odd plaster lumps on the floor from when they did the inside walls, which I thought I could easily scrape off myself. But she is saying that they're saying its the actually render product that they use at the front of your house.... and because they can make a mess inside when they do it they make a thin layer equally through out your house. I have not noticed this at, So I am a bit baffled myself. But as long as it isn't lumpy or uneven it shouldn't really even matter should it?
Ummm they wouldn't do thin layer over the whole floor of house. They trying to get extra money from you. Crazy!
Hi ac, just sent a massive reply and it didn't post! So sorry if I'm brief this time.

Husband is in building trade and have been talking to him about your woes. Re the pillar with the crack at the top, he says it looks like they've not put 'ties' in, which are metal things that give support. As a result the pillar may not be giving the amount of support it should. Didn't know whether to tell you, as you seem stressed enough! But he said its not a big job - they can just take the offending bricks out, put ties in and rebrick - an hour's work. And they could even do it once you've moved in - nothing's about to collapse because of it.

re flooring, he reckons no builder would let anyone mix render or anything like that in the house, it's mixed in a cement mixer outside.

If its a laminate floating floor it can stand quite a bit of imperfection underneath. If its a hardwood floor it doesn't need the floor underneath to be 100%. We got quotes for stick down vinyl planks which do need floor to be 100% as they're stuck directly on to it, and flooring co quoted $400-$500 to lay a self-levelling screed if needed.

Maybe ask another flooring co for a quote and for advice re need for sanding, and maybe see if you can get a quote from a company that does the sanding - flooring co may be contracting that out and putting a mark-up on.

Please bear in mind my 'old man' isn't a brickie or a flooring fitter, and he hasn't seen your pillar or floor, it's just the way the situations seem to him from the website.

Hope i have been of some help and I haven't alarmed you or stressed you out even more! It's all fixable, it's just hard to see it sometimes when you're so close. Good luck mate.
Good advise Mandy67
I find it bizzare too they would say the there is render on the ground and I'm not in te building industry. Our home is a few weeks behind AC27 with same builder and haven't got any render on our ground.

aC27 I really think you should get rid of this vendor and start looking elsewhere, they are out o ake a few extra bucks, thieves!!!!!
I have to agree with everyone above also. It sounds fairly ridiculous.
I'm in the construction industry myself, and although I'm far from an expert, I'm fairly confident that if there was any kind of render on the slab, you would be able to see it quite clearly. It's not transparent! :p
Definitely speak to another supplier/contractor.
Also as Mandy said, the likelihood of mixing render inside is next to none.
They need a large quantity of sand and water to mix. Who would be crazy enough to keep pushing in wheelbarrows of sand into the house, just to push it all back out again.
Good points jaceb! I find the stories some people in customer expect you to believe quite gob-smackingly ludicrous sometimes!
Thanks alot everyone for your input. going to ask for refund tommorrow as they can't meet what we got qouted for! I am already frighten about them refusing to refund and making this difficult. Surely if their intentions were true they would of told me a month ago they didn't have the product and that would of saved them going out last week to do the measure. Which I am going to guess they're Gonna claim as an expense! Even though they should of never gone out and measured as they knew they didn't have my product!
Thanks alot everyone for your input. going to ask for refund tommorrow as they can't meet what we got qouted for! I am already frighten about them refusing to refund and making this difficult. Surely if their intentions were true they would of told me a month ago they didn't have the product and that would of saved them going out last week to do the measure. Which I am going to guess they're Gonna claim as an expense! Even though they should of never gone out and measured as they knew they didn't have my product!
all the best ac27
Don't think I am going to get my money back with out being nasty. We have been getting qoutes from other floor places and told them of our troubles. They all said they know of this mob and have been doing this for a while!. I have been private messaged by someone with newspaper articles about these guys. I will upload the news paper articles tonight. They have been ignoring my emails today.
AC27 you gotta report them to consumer affairs, don't let them get away with it!!
You did the right thing by giving them the deposit for a product you wanted. If they didnt have your selection then you would have gone elsewhere.

The need to refund you if they can't provide you with your selection, simple as that!

We had this discussion earlier about something else...you as a consumer have rights, 1k is allot of $$, don't hand it to them that easy.

They will carry on targeting innocent people in the future and you can help put a stop to this by naming and shaming them.
Oh don't worry I am going to launch every thing at them if I don't get the money back
Good stuff!! I know you won't back down and goodness forbid them getting on the wrong side of you, it would be worse than hurricane Katrina aha...
They have replied and said they would refund.
Thank goodness for that
That's good. Can you share their name, if it won't breach any forum laws - it would be good to warn fellow forum members?
Well the bank has told me that final invoice payment has been made today.So now I need to find out when my damn handover is.
Well technically as soon as money leaves your account you're allowed your keys so you should be driving to office tomorrow and getting them!
Sounds nice in theory but this is our beloved c Homes we're talking about
Related
7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

11/08/2023
Path around drop edge beam

Paving & Concreting

Hello everyone, After some suggestions and ideas about how to put a concrete path around the drop edge beam area on our new build. We are required to have a concrete path…

13/09/2023
Slab edge Dampness

General Discussion

Quarter of it

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum