Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Wisdom Homes

Page 323 of 828
MandM+4
aaron2008
We are planning to have our dishwasher in the butlers & as per the plan there is a small sink there.

Can I get your opinions about having a island benchtop with or without sink. I am thinking of no sink island but not sure if it will effect practicality of things in any way.

We have a single sink with drainer in our butlers and the standard double undermount sink on our island. I would have loved to have a clear island bench but with our design the dishwasher had to go in the island so it wasn't practical to have no sink there. We also have doors on our pantry so to walk through doors to get water also wasn't practical. If your design is open like oz's and your dishwasher is in there i reckon forgo the island sink. But make it a double sink or bigger sink so it's practical for pot washing etc.

Building Monte Carlo 40- Wisdom homes

I think it really comes down to how you want to use the kitchen and also how you want it to look - everyone is different.
Having the sink in island takes away some space and the "clean" finish, but I like having a sink in the island just for convenience in the open. I did leave the kitchen design up to Mrs Oz and this is the way that she wanted it, so I had to suck it up anyways....
ozmonkeyoy
MandM+4
aaron2008
We are planning to have our dishwasher in the butlers & as per the plan there is a small sink there.

Can I get your opinions about having a island benchtop with or without sink. I am thinking of no sink island but not sure if it will effect practicality of things in any way.

We have a single sink with drainer in our butlers and the standard double undermount sink on our island. I would have loved to have a clear island bench but with our design the dishwasher had to go in the island so it wasn't practical to have no sink there. We also have doors on our pantry so to walk through doors to get water also wasn't practical. If your design is open like oz's and your dishwasher is in there i reckon forgo the island sink. But make it a double sink or bigger sink so it's practical for pot washing etc.

I think it really comes down to how you want to use the kitchen and also how you want it to look - everyone is different.
Having the sink in island takes away some space and the "clean" finish, but I like having a sink in the island just for convenience in the open. I did leave the kitchen design up to Mrs Oz and this is the way that she wanted it, so I had to suck it up anyways....

My thoughts exactly, it's personal preference. You're a wise man Oz leaving it up to your wife. Although my husband has basically left the entire project up to me- perhaps not so wise

aaron2008

We have done the same with our dishwasher and we have also put our main double sink in butlers.

I debated having no sink on my island but we decided to go with a small sink so we have somewhere to rinse veggies and fruit when prepping and fill saucepans with water without having to walk too far from the stove.

A friend also pointed out we can fill it with ice for drinks when we have parties which I like as our island is right next to a set of doors to our alfresco.

Building Wisdom Aspiration 31 at Willowdale
https://ourwillowdalehome.wordpress.com/
MandM+4
ozmonkeyoy

My thoughts exactly, it's personal preference. You're a wise man Oz leaving it up to your wife. Although my husband has basically left the entire project up to me- perhaps not so wise

Wise, in this instance yes...

You've left yourself open for great rewards there (hopefully) for taking on the whole project, be it your choice or not.
I'm sure it will all work out great.
Very time consuming though....hopefully appreciated.
Hi, has anyone had wisdom quote a pool and poolside cabana like what is on display at Oran Park Manhattan44?

Jenifermarie
lombieagle
Hi All,

Loving some of the completed home photos. Congrats to those that have reached this milestone!!!

Did anyone have De Lorenzo install wood look tiles? Are there any on the standard list if not what was the approx. cost to upgrade. Any photos to share? Thanks

I've got the following costing for the wood look tiles from DL.

Tile cost - $45/sqm
Laying cost - $67/sqm

I don't think that laying cost included coloured grout, so if you wanted coloured grout to match the tiles, that would be another $13/sqm plus the cost of the coloured grout which I never really worked out the cost of. It was about $30 per bag but I didn't work out how much 1 bag would cover.

Your tile allowance (either $25 or $35 per sqm) would come off those costs.

If you visit DL ahead of time, their staff are always happy to look up tile and laying costs for you. Going in early on a Saturday morning is a good time before their appointments start. I found nothing was ever too much trouble for them and I visited about 5 times before my appointment.

Laying charges vary depending on your inclusions level FYI. Those charges are based on the Luxury inclusions. Signature inclusions have better laying cost inclusions.

Thanks Jenifermarie. Did you get them?

Thank You for your suggestions and helping us in our decision.

We sure going to have a single bowl sink (with may be matte black tap ware if it matches) at left hand corner of the island & the double at the butlers.

Cant wait for our kitchen appointment.(yet to book)
lombieagle
Jenifermarie
lombieagle
Hi All,

Loving some of the completed home photos. Congrats to those that have reached this milestone!!!

Did anyone have De Lorenzo install wood look tiles? Are there any on the standard list if not what was the approx. cost to upgrade. Any photos to share? Thanks

I've got the following costing for the wood look tiles from DL.

Tile cost - $45/sqm
Laying cost - $67/sqm

I don't think that laying cost included coloured grout, so if you wanted coloured grout to match the tiles, that would be another $13/sqm plus the cost of the coloured grout which I never really worked out the cost of. It was about $30 per bag but I didn't work out how much 1 bag would cover.

Your tile allowance (either $25 or $35 per sqm) would come off those costs.

If you visit DL ahead of time, their staff are always happy to look up tile and laying costs for you. Going in early on a Saturday morning is a good time before their appointments start. I found nothing was ever too much trouble for them and I visited about 5 times before my appointment.

Laying charges vary depending on your inclusions level FYI. Those charges are based on the Luxury inclusions. Signature inclusions have better laying cost inclusions.

Thanks Jenifermarie. Did you get them?

No, we couldn't justify the cost and the colour options didn't coordinate well with our choice of Honey Elm for our kitchen cabinets. We opted for grey concrete look 600x600 ceramic tiles which were about half the cost the wood look tiles would have been.

jenifermarie and lombieagle - $65 is the laying cost even in Beaumont & CTM however I don't like the pay etc for grouting. I also read somewhere that $65 is laying cost does not include laying them uneven (not sure the word).

We are thinking of grey as well but a bit darker & most probably porcelain. jenifermarie - are you building Ambassador 36? How much is your quote for downstairs.
aaron2008
jenifermarie and lombieagle - $65 is the laying cost even in Beaumont & CTM however I don't like the pay etc for grouting. I also read somewhere that $65 is laying cost does not include laying them uneven (not sure the word).

We are thinking of grey as well but a bit darker & most probably porcelain. jenifermarie - are you building Ambassador 36? How much is your quote for downstairs.

We're building Aspiration 31 so it's a bit smaller. Main ground floor tiling upgrade is $3400, not including powder room and laundry. We would have preferred porcelain to ceramic but there was nothing with a concrete look and in the right colour that I liked under about $80/sqm which we couldn't stretch to with the extra laying costs on top.

Our main flooring was probably our hardest decision because everything was either out of budget or a compromise. If we did it again we would make sure we had enough leftover money to do flooring after handover.

Happy days, we have kitchen drawings at last! All our outstanding items are waiting on these drawings so very happy to have forward progress again (although our land registration has been delayed until July
). All up exactly 11 weeks after having our kitchen appointment with Timpelle, but approx 6 of those were wasted because Timpelle had to wait once we indicated we were changing the sinks for us to officially select the sinks at colours, then have the colours variation raised and signed. Efficiency wins again

My custom shelves on the island never showed up on the quote and as we're over budget already I abandoned the idea but secretly hoped they might give them to me as freebie. No such luck, Greg from Timpelle even phoned me to double check I wanted to leave them out. I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out though.

Jenifermarie
Happy days, we have kitchen drawings at last! All our outstanding items are waiting on these drawings so very happy to have forward progress again (although our land registration has been delayed until July
). All up exactly 11 weeks after having our kitchen appointment with Timpelle, but approx 6 of those were wasted because Timpelle had to wait once we indicated we were changing the sinks for us to officially select the sinks at colours, then have the colours variation raised and signed. Efficiency wins again

My custom shelves on the island never showed up on the quote and as we're over budget already I abandoned the idea but secretly hoped they might give them to me as freebie. No such luck, Greg from Timpelle even phoned me to double check I wanted to leave them out. I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out though.

It's going to be amazing. Have you got a WIP inside the butlers?

We are in limbo again. Got my draft end panel yesterday and then an email shortly after saying our energy rating is now where it needs to be but we have to increase the size of our water tank. So now waiting on that variation. The fact that the water rating wasn't high enough really should have been picked up on earlier, but I did use the opportunity to change our powder room door (last minute second thoughts lol). I don't think the cost of the tank upgrade is much at all but I dread to think how much they will charge us for the extra slab. So hopefully we will get developer approval and sign off on our draft end panel next week. Some days it feels like it will never happen!

MandM+4
Jenifermarie

We are in limbo again. Got my draft end panel yesterday and then an email shortly after saying our energy rating is now where it needs to be but we have to increase the size of our water tank. So now waiting on that variation. The fact that the water rating wasn't high enough really should have been picked up on earlier, but I did use the opportunity to change our powder room door (last minute second thoughts lol). I don't think the cost of the tank upgrade is much at all but I dread to think how much they will charge us for the extra slab. So hopefully we will get developer approval and sign off on our draft end panel next week. Some days it feels like it will never happen!

Look on the bright side, you're going to have a really efficient home at the end of it. Hopefully it will reflect in your energy bills in the long run. I totally get why you're frustrated though. It's going to be worth it in the end, that's what I keep telling myself anyway! I'm running out of patience with everything at the moment. Our land portion of the build loan was approved earlier this week so that was good to get out the way at least.

Yes we have a WIP behind the fridge that's accessed from the BP. I've shrunk it a bit to make the fridge space deeper and moved all our network points to terminate in there though so it will be mostly pantry, part IT cupboard! I don't think we will be lacking for storage space though as the main kitchen plus BP is so big.

Looks great Jenifermarie!

11 weeks sounds very painful but I'm sure once you're in the wait will be all worth it!

Seems like I'm following your footsteps as my Timpelle quote has also stalled due to upgrades with our sinks and appliances.

Dealing with Greg too who was hoping to have the quote ready for me yesterday. Still no quote in sight but perhaps he was working on yours which is fair enough.

The plans are quite detailed which is good to see! Are plans included with the quote or do you need to accept the quote first before they draw the plans?
Jenifermarie
MandM+4
Jenifermarie

Look on the bright side, you're going to have a really efficient home at the end of it. Hopefully it will reflect in your energy bills in the long run. I totally get why you're frustrated though. It's going to be worth it in the end, that's what I keep telling myself anyway! I'm running out of patience with everything at the moment. Our land portion of the build loan was approved earlier this week so that was good to get out the way at least.

Yes we have a WIP behind the fridge that's accessed from the BP. I've shrunk it a bit to make the fridge space deeper and moved all our network points to terminate in there though so it will be mostly pantry, part IT cupboard! I don't think we will be lacking for storage space though as the main kitchen plus BP is so big.

Sounds like the perfect kitchen.
Really it's a blessing your land hasn't registered yet if W not ready to go to council. Means you don't have to start paying for it yet! We don't have a mortgage on our land but have to borrow the full cost of the build. We're using the draft end panel we got yesterday for the loan approval though as I just want it sorted now so I don't have to think about it.
Can you apply for developer approval before registration?
I'm not sure the solar HWS will be any more efficient than the heat pump we had originally, but the extra rain water will help top up the pool. Admittedly this does seem like a small delay compared to the earlier stages of admin. But this really better be the last of the variations! If they hit rock or something during the build it may tip me over the edge!

ChizCake
Looks great Jenifermarie!

11 weeks sounds very painful but I'm sure once you're in the wait will be all worth it!

Seems like I'm following your footsteps as my Timpelle quote has also stalled due to upgrades with our sinks and appliances.

Dealing with Greg too who was hoping to have the quote ready for me yesterday. Still no quote in sight but perhaps he was working on yours which is fair enough.

The plans are quite detailed which is good to see! Are plans included with the quote or do you need to accept the quote first before they draw the plans?

Drawings are done once you sign off the quote. We had to send our quote back as a couple of things we're missing but they turned it round in a couple of days. Then it's been about 3 weeks from signing off the quote to drawings. 3 weeks seems to be the magic number for everything with Wisdom

The waiting around for sinks and appliances is annoying when I'm sure like us you knew what you wanted and could have had it all organised and signed off prior to the kitchen appointment if you had the opportunity.

MandM+4
Jenifermarie
MandM+4
[quote="Jenifermarie"]Happy days, we have kitchen drawings at last! All our outstanding items are waiting on these drawings so very happy to have forward progress again (although our land registration has been delayed until July

Sounds like the perfect kitchen.
Really it's a blessing your land hasn't registered yet if W not ready to go to council. Means you don't have to start paying for it yet! We don't have a mortgage on our land but have to borrow the full cost of the build. We're using the draft end panel we got yesterday for the loan approval though as I just want it sorted now so I don't have to think about it.
Can you apply for developer approval before registration?
I'm not sure the solar HWS will be any more efficient than the heat pump we had originally, but the extra rain water will help top up the pool. Admittedly this does seem like a small delay compared to the earlier stages of admin. But this really better be the last of the variations! If they hit rock or something during the build it may tip me over the edge!

Building Monte Carlo 40- Wisdom homes[/quote]

I think we will do our loan from draft end panel too, we will be borrowing the full amount too. We put everything into the land at the advice of our broker. I totally understand you wanting it sorted. That's what I'm most nervous for now as we have spent so much on upgrades. I feel like that's when we can pop the champagne that it's all really happening.

Our plans have been put in for developer approval but Stockland don't seem to run on Wisdom time too.

All that is left now is for our tiling requote and I'm still trying to get a variation out of our CSO for a privacy screen 🤦‍♀️ been asking for that variation since we signed our contract in early April. I know you will share my frustrations there.

Lol. Your CSO is probably avoiding the privacy screen variation for as long as possible. At least you know what to expect!
Fingers crossed your land registration happens next month then, sounds like you're ready!

Jenifermarie

Looks great JM.

You have quite a lot of storage space there.

Hopefully your land will register right on time for construction.
Jordann
Jenifermarie

Looks great JM.

You have quite a lot of storage space there.

Hopefully your land will register right on time for construction.

I just have to learn to cook properly now
I've made it my project until the house is done to up my kitchen skills to be worthy of my new kitchen now that the research and decisions are all done.

Related
29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

28/11/2023
Wisdom Homes - Construction Delays is it worth the hassle?

Building A New House

In fairness nobody gave a crap about the ACCC and the gag clauses continued in the pro forma templates of a few other builders after the ACCC took on Wisdom, and more…

25/02/2024
Wisdom Homes | Momentum Series

Building A New House

Hi Everyone, I am exploring builder in NSW and received a very tempting quote from Wisdom home for their momentum series. I just want to know experience of building…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum