Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Hall & Hart Homes

Page 33 of 61
Hi,
I am currently in the early stage with HH home, been with couple of builders and anyone here whom also with other builder before decided to go with HH can please share the price/cost of HH compare to other builders for the same quality ????
Would be greatly appreciated.
Cost of builds were in par with other project homes. H&H have some good inclusions that suited us, but most important is the design \s. You need to like the designs of the builders you are comparing to.
Malibu
Cost of builds were in par with other project homes. H&H have some good inclusions that suited us, but most important is the design \s. You need to like the designs of the builders you are comparing to.

Thanks Malibu,
We got a custom plan due to corner lot and garage need to go to the back, and we currently getting quote from different builders, but just that in general if HH have a competitive price compare to other builders.
Definitely get a number of quotes which you are doing and compare inclusions. H&H for our build weren't the cheapest but they weren't the most expensive either but we liked the design, and like you, our block was challenging.

My experience so far is very good but I can't recommend them yet as we have a long way to go ( we are at Frame stage) and a few issues needs to be addressed, but so far so good.
Malibu
Definitely get a number of quotes which you are doing and compare inclusions. H&H for our build weren't the cheapest but they weren't the most expensive either but we liked the design, and like you, our block was challenging.

My experience so far is very good but I can't recommend them yet as we have a long way to go ( we are at Frame stage) and a few issues needs to be addressed, but so far so good.

Great to hear from you Malibu! How is the build going? We are at the tiling stage and hope to be at PCI in the next few weeks. We had a break in to the site over the weekend and people stole 3 pallets of bricks that we had for building our front fence. So bold, middle of the day and would have taken time to load all those bricks! If you haven't already, might be worth putting in a camera or signs on fence to say cameras on site (even if they aren't)

Sanders2, I'd agree with Malibu with shopping around and comparing inclusions and finishes but also go with a company that has good communication. That was key in our decision, you are going to be spending the next year dealing with the company whoever you go with so you want to have a good relationship with them. All the best.
You are nearly there kjane! That's great news but what a low life to steal bricks! I like your singage idea We are going well but a little slow for my liking but no complaints as long as the end result is a good quality product. I am satisfied so far but I know more when we get to your stage with all the detail finishes coming together. Keep us updated.
kjane
Malibu

Great to hear from you Malibu! How is the build going? We are at the tiling stage and hope to be at PCI in the next few weeks. We had a break in to the site over the weekend and people stole 3 pallets of bricks that we had for building our front fence. So bold, middle of the day and would have taken time to load all those bricks! If you haven't already, might be worth putting in a camera or signs on fence to say cameras on site (even if they aren't)

Sanders2, I'd agree with Malibu with shopping around and comparing inclusions and finishes but also go with a company that has good communication. That was key in our decision, you are going to be spending the next year dealing with the company whoever you go with so you want to have a good relationship with them. All the best.

Thanks Guys,
Hope I get a good quote from HH so I can build with them, feeling that HH is good builder !!!
kjane
Malibu

Oh my gosh! Can't believe they broke in! Hope they didn't do any other damage.

Sanders2, we compared the premium inclusion package with other builders but also took into consideration the flexibility of customising the floorplan to suit our needs. We have a difficult block and in hindsight, we should have stopped the knockdown rebuild process given how strict our council is and factoring in all our easement and tree issues. All of these issues added considerably to the cost of the build, so investigate your site costs as well as the build costs. Though if you are comparing across builders, your site costs will likely be the same across the builders.
Zen
kjane
Malibu

Oh my gosh! Can't believe they broke in! Hope they didn't do any other damage.

Sanders2, we compared the premium inclusion package with other builders but also took into consideration the flexibility of customising the floorplan to suit our needs. We have a difficult block and in hindsight, we should have stopped the knockdown rebuild process given how strict our council is and factoring in all our easement and tree issues. All of these issues added considerably to the cost of the build, so investigate your site costs as well as the build costs. Though if you are comparing across builders, your site costs will likely be the same across the builders.

Hi,
Thanks for advice, my block is corner and gently slop to the primary street, as I only want land fill to maximize water view so I opted the garage to back so I don’t have to drive steep up from front, the block not that difficult just that we want the best lay out for the site.
The plan is custom already, got 2 quote already from champions home and 1 from custom builder and already see the different in 50k (which is not that major), but if HH has good quote and a good builder then that is worth considering, so fingers cross with HH home !!!
Hi All,

We drove around looking for houses which used the four types of bricks were interested in. Has anyone build with Wilderness Design "Silver Birch" or Grey Gum"? We are also looking at the upgraded range Metalix in "Platinum" or "Titanium". I'm after a modern Hamptons look, building the Elyse and it will be full brick, no render or cladding. My husband likes the dark grey and I prefer light grey bricks.

Any advice would be must appreciated
Hi,

What's the best Beaumount Tiles and Accent Carpet stores to visit with my designer? Do some stores have a large range? We're in Baulkham Hills. TIA
Amanda_Ly
Hi All,

We drove around looking for houses which used the four types of bricks were interested in. Has anyone build with Wilderness Design "Silver Birch" or Grey Gum"? We are also looking at the upgraded range Metalix in "Platinum" or "Titanium". I'm after a modern Hamptons look, building the Elyse and it will be full brick, no render or cladding. My husband likes the dark grey and I prefer light grey bricks.

Hi, I am getting quote with HH for my custom plan and for full brick construction. Can I ask if your house is 2 storey and they do suspended concrete floor ????
Thanks
Sanders2
Amanda_Ly
Hi All,

Hi, I am getting quote with HH for my custom plan and for full brick construction. Can I ask if your house is 2 storey and they do suspended concrete floor ????
Thanks

Hi, full brick was an extra cost, first floor will not be a suspended concrete floor, I think we paid for noise cancelling gyprock but the hebel floor was too costly for us.
Amanda_Ly
Hi,

What's the best Beaumount Tiles and Accent Carpet stores to visit with my designer? Do some stores have a large range? We're in Baulkham Hills. TIA

Hi Amanda_Ly, I've been told all Beaumont Tiles display the same range (look for the silver and gold stickers for H&H premium inclusions). We went to West Ryde, Castle Hill and Thornleigh and personally prefer the Thornleigh store where we ended up doing our appointment.
Zen
Amanda_Ly
Hi,

Hi Amanda_Ly, I've been told all Beaumont Tiles display the same range (look for the silver and gold stickers for H&H premium inclusions). We went to West Ryde, Castle Hill and Thornleigh and personally prefer the Thornleigh store where we ended up doing our appointment.

Great! Thanks Zen. We decided to go to the Castle Hill store as Accent Carpets are there as well. Can I ask why you prefer Thornleigh?
I think all the stores (layout, range) are all pretty much the same. We just found the sales person on the day we visited Thornleigh really helpful.
Zen
I think all the stores (layout, range) are all pretty much the same. We just found the sales person on the day we visited Thornleigh really helpful.

Great, thank you Zen.
Our first "oh no, that didn't work out" this week. We are getting super close to finishing so had a walk through on Friday. Flooring was down and looking great, bathrooms finished and lots of other bits and pieces. It is all progressing quickly which is great and we are impressed by our SS's attention to detail. Most things we picked up he had already noticed prior and had already booked trades in to sort them out.

At the walk through we measured spaces for furniture and whitegoods before we purchased them at the sales and then headed to the shops to find that the fridge we wanted won't fit in the space. In our kitchen design the fridge space is at the end and has the wall and doors to the alfresco to the right. We hadn't allowed space for the skirting boards and door frame so the fridge cavity is now 903mm at the base and 990mm above the skirting. While the fridge would just squeeze in we wouldn't be able to open the doors, and if we had the fridge sitting forward of the cavity a bit the door on the right would still not fully open. We are able to still get a French door fridge to fit flush and functionally, just not the size we originally planned. I'd suggest going to the shops and measuring the fridge you want with the doors fully open to work out the fridge cavity you will need. If this is our only hiccup I will be super happy though.
kjane
Our first "oh no, that didn't work out" this week. We are getting super close to finishing so had a walk through on Friday. Flooring was down and looking great, bathrooms finished and lots of other bits and pieces. It is all progressing quickly which is great and we are impressed by our SS's attention to detail. Most things we picked up he had already noticed prior and had already booked trades in to sort them out.

At the walk through we measured spaces for furniture and whitegoods before we purchased them at the sales and then headed to the shops to find that the fridge we wanted won't fit in the space. In our kitchen design the fridge space is at the end and has the wall and doors to the alfresco to the right. We hadn't allowed space for the skirting boards and door frame so the fridge cavity is now 903mm at the base and 990mm above the skirting. While the fridge would just squeeze in we wouldn't be able to open the doors, and if we had the fridge sitting forward of the cavity a bit the door on the right would still not fully open. We are able to still get a French door fridge to fit flush and functionally, just not the size we originally planned. I'd suggest going to the shops and measuring the fridge you want with the doors fully open to work out the fridge cavity you will need. If this is our only hiccup I will be super happy though.

Hi kjane, that's great everything is progressing so smoothly for you guys! Fortunately you didn't buy the original model and can still get another one that will fit flush in your kitchen. We have a similar fridge issue as you - moved into our rental a few days ago and found our old fridge can't fit into the fridge cavity by 2mm! We've had to resort to putting the fridge somewhere else which is an eyesore in the small apartment. We have our eye on a new French door fridge for the new build so don't want to get another fridge just for the rental period so will live with the awkward placement of the fridge for the next 12 months.

How long has your build taken since demolition?

We are demolishing our house next week - it feels so real now. Just received the draft contract after some re-drawing of our stormwater plan. The consent from council required some changes to our stormwater plan which was going to add more costs to the already eye-watering amount we are paying, so H&H suggested we opt for an aboveground tank option instead of underground. Given the credit we would get back, we decided to go with the aboveground option, use the credit to build out a deck and put up some screens so we can't see the tanks.
Zen
kjane

Hi kjane, that's great everything is progressing so smoothly for you guys! Fortunately you didn't buy the original model and can still get another one that will fit flush in your kitchen. We have a similar fridge issue as you - moved into our rental a few days ago and found our old fridge can't fit into the fridge cavity by 2mm! We've had to resort to putting the fridge somewhere else which is an eyesore in the small apartment. We have our eye on a new French door fridge for the new build so don't want to get another fridge just for the rental period so will live with the awkward placement of the fridge for the next 12 months.

How long has your build taken since demolition?

We are demolishing our house next week - it feels so real now. Just received the draft contract after some re-drawing of our stormwater plan. The consent from council required some changes to our stormwater plan which was going to add more costs to the already eye-watering amount we are paying, so H&H suggested we opt for an aboveground tank option instead of underground. Given the credit we would get back, we decided to go with the aboveground option, use the credit to build out a deck and put up some screens so we can't see the tanks.

Sounds like a great solution for the stormwater cost blow out. Friends of ours have built a frame in front of their tanks and put in a vertical garden which beautifully screens them.

Totally understand the fridge situation, ours is a feature in the living room at the moment!

We had demo in August and Hall and Hart started site levelling in the first week of Sept. We lost three weeks to rain and another three for the xmas shutdown so taking these out we are sitting at about 7.5 months now and look to be finished mid to late June.
Related
15/01/2024
Hall Way Lighting Suggestion

Lighting + Lighting Design

I have a really long hallway which is 1100mm W x 11500mm L I would appreciate if anyone can give suggestions to light it up with Linear LED lights that goes from wall to…

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum