Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Things you forget - summary page 32

Page 33 of 62
Something rather important that we've discovered I've forgotten, now that I've moved in, was ventillation in the laundry. Unless we leave the back sliding door open - which doesn't have the ability to leave just a fly-screen open - condensation builds up in the laundry when you have any clothes hung in there.

Probably something to make sure others get right - have some kind of extraction fan in the laundry.
oztish
* Insulation between downstairs and upstairs (for sound proofing)

Which builder did you go with?

We just did our tender appointment yesterday with Porter Davis, they said they don't do this because it's a fire hazard. Disappointing!
Some insulation might be a fire hazard, but there are certainly products that cost a bit more that are not.
Porter Davis might like to read this.
http://www.australian-government-insulation-rebates.com/Products/rockwool-insulation.html
Fibreglass / Rockwool don't burn.

If you haven't signed any contracts yet then the ball is in your court.........

"I want........"

Not "Please can I have ?" !!!

P_D
Should have mentioned. Rockwool is likely to get you more Acoustic Isolation as well compared to other products.
And, if you get the " it's not safe ", that myth has been proven to be false. Properly handling is required.
+1 for rockwool. PD are miles away from accurate on this subject. Take a look at the Bradford and CSR websites. Bradford in particular make specific products for your situation, and I know for sure PD uses their products because I have a ton of Soundscreen installed in my walls already.

HD
That's good news!

However, considering we've already signed the tender contract, are we still able to make changes to this on the grounds that they've given us wrong advice?
Jackula,
Don't have an answer for that part of your issue.
Maybe best to summarise and post in one of the other forums? Would get more views possibly!
Will keep this thread more on topic, and less work for P _ D ?
Just want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who have contributed to this amazing thread. I am a first time builder and am currently in the process of choosing a builder and finalising my design. I now have a long list of things to bring up with the builder when preparing the tender. =)
Fantastic Forum. We are in the early stages of our build, we are building the Plantation Homes Retreat Q2 and are awaiting our tender appointment. Have made heaps of notes from the suggestions above and hope to add my own as time goes by.
Might I ask... what does "height of shower screen - especially if you've put in higher ceilings" mean? We've got 2.7m ceilings but why would that affect how high the shower screen should be? It's not as if the water would splash any higher. Or am I missing anything?

We've got tender on Monday so will be reading through the list several times over the weekend and may have lots more questions hahaha.
Wonderful list, thanks to everyone who has contributed, I now have a rather long list of talking points
EmyN
Might I ask... what does "height of shower screen - especially if you've put in higher ceilings" mean? We've got 2.7m ceilings but why would that affect how high the shower screen should be? It's not as if the water would splash any higher. Or am I missing anything?.

I know some suppliers can do higher screens and from talking to my 6'6 cousin, if he has the shower head high enough to be comfortable, it does make a difference. Also, if it is a hand held shower, the extra protection is good. Finally, it might just be aesthetics that inclines someone to get taller glass.

And since I am posting... thanks again to all the contributors and most especially the one who compiled the list! It is a -fantastic- resource.

HD
There is a bit of discussion and some good advice on location of a water point for the fridge in this thread:

http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=66187

(Might be worth a new title for that thread to cover general advice for fridge plumbing)
Hi,
Not sure if anyone has mentioned the privacy locks. generally builders do not include them. We forgot them in our current house when we built it and almost forgot them in the house we are building, along with the door stops.
We also included IXL lights in both ensuite and bathroom, so its not so cold.
I love this forum, i wish i had signed up a year ago. So much wisdom and knowledge. Sharing is caring.
This is a great thread and very useful. If only I had read it before my build and not after!! Is there any way to include it in an "Introductions pack" for anyone new to Homeone?
I went to a customers house today to see what she wanted regarding drawing up plans for an extension and a few other internal re-workings and one thing she had in her bathroom intrigued me - a mirror that doesn't fog up when you're in the shower.
It is a thin pad fixed to the back of the mirror and acts like a small heater for the mirror. It plugs into a power socket so you would need to have power in the back of your shaving cabinet to be able to hook it up.
http://www.thermogroup.com.au/mirrors/t ... or-ez.html
Just something to consider if you are looking at installing one of these in your new house.

Stewie
Letterbox placement - Note discussion in this thread. See also Australia Post guidelines here.
Stewie D
a mirror that doesn't fog up when you're in the shower.
It is a thin pad fixed to the back of the mirror and acts like a small heater for the mirror. It plugs into a power socket so you would need to have power in the back of your shaving cabinet to be able to hook it up.

A hairdryer will clear the fog up within seconds.
akashra
Unless we leave the back sliding door open - which doesn't have the ability to leave just a fly-screen open - condensation builds up in the laundry when you have any clothes hung in there.

Probably something to make sure others get right - have some kind of extraction fan in the laundry.

I installed a lock to the internal laundry door so that I can leave the external door open when I use the dryer.
Related
1/09/2023
Things can be done after construction.

Building A New House

Depends what you're current inclusions are, but we're not including wardrobes and will just use second hand ones until we can save later on to get them built. Also have a…

6/06/2023
Do you think this kitchen is original

Kitchen Corner

No. It's not original. Circa early to mid 90s would be my guess and maybe even as late as early 2000s

8/06/2023
Hello to all of you. Any advice please?

Building A New House

A question. Im in Queensland and building a new home. We managed to reach practical completion 6 weeks ago but we haven't heard any date for handover yet. Who should we…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum