Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 320 of 862
Great reading all. We are the newbies and have spent a lot of time reading your messages and looking at the blogs. It is great to see people at the end of the house journey and others, like us, just starting out. Information is definitely great to make our decision going with PD and changes.

We will pay our deposit this weekend with PD for the Darnley 29. Have paid a visit to Hopetoun and planning visiting to National tiles to try and get things sorted. Some things are easy to choose and some things are tricky. Still, a lot of fun and a lot of decisions to make in such a short time. My head is full and overflowing with house stuff, this is the biggest disadvantage of being an architect.

I look forward to reading more.
jnkbids
MummaDJ
After reading lots above, I am now looking into our own Building Inspections, just for peace of mind.

I would HIGHLY recommend it... I felt since I wasn't a builder.. needed expert advice to pick up issues that would crop up.. I only just got a slab and I can tell you, so far the inspectors reports have been very useful to picking up errors.. (like they missed a section of the house completely when framing the slab / failed to frame correctly etc ... albeit a small section... but if PD is actually supervising properly... it shouldn't have been missed to start off with!)

I am a type A personality so organised for EVERY stage to be inspected....in all honesty... now I am actually seriously considering having 2 separate independent inspectors inspect every stage! If one pair of eyes are good... 2 should be better!!

Thx jnkbids, definitely peace of mind. For a little outlay for a whole lot of potential savings down the track. Documents always state that the PD inspectors are actually an Independant Firm, so it surprises me that there seem to be so many things missed.
Regarding independent building / slab inspectors - what sort of money do they charge?
inglewood
Regarding independent building / slab inspectors - what sort of money do they charge?

Hi Inglewood, I am just waiting on my quote. I think I have read in the past to allow around $2,000 for around 5 inspections. On talking with the Inspector that I am talking with, you don't need to take up every inspection. The slab inspection is $350 inc gst. Will let you know when I hear. I am sure others will add comments also.
Our slab and frame inspection was $450.
MummaDJ

Thx jnkbids, definitely peace of mind. For a little outlay for a whole lot of potential savings down the track. Documents always state that the PD inspectors are actually an Independant Firm, so it surprises me that there seem to be so many things missed.

I prefer the inspector to be working for ME (ie me paying them)... So that way I can contact them easier and see the reports etc, don't think the PD inspectors would ever let you see their reports without a whole bunch of difficulty.

from speaking to heaps of people who have built with various builders,the general consensus is pay for your own independent inspector rather than relying on one who has a long-term contract with the builder.
inglewood

My pre-slab inspection was about $525 inc GST.

The cost appears to vary according to the size and complexity of the job (naturally). The bigger your home / double storey etc the more expensive it is. Which I suppose is fair enough cos it takes more time to get everything inspected properly...
Thanks all! How do you even start arranging an inspector? Who do you go to? Any recommendations for the Sunbury Gisborne area? No where near that stage yet, but will file the info away for later. Thanks in advance!
inglewood
Thanks all! How do you even start arranging an inspector? Who do you go to? Any recommendations for the Sunbury Gisborne area? No where near that stage yet, but will file the info away for later. Thanks in advance!

We are using a company called "Houspect Victoria" (03) 9808 4000 - http://www.houspect.com.au/victoria/

They were recommended to us by a friend of mine who is a very quality focussed builder. Houspect did a pre-auction inspection for us on a different house and it was very thorough. When they do the inspections, you are welcome to attend with them.
The prices can differ depending on the size of the house. Obviously if it is double storey and depending on how many squares, this will factor into the costing. I have sent my plans to them so that they can more accurately provide me with a quote and summary of what is involved at each inspection.
inglewood

Highly recommend New Home Inspections.

(03) 9708 2500

Although - the PD inspectors did pick up a couple of things at frame that ours missed... But, that is bound to happen when you have more people checking...
madhouse1
chrystee
Is there anything else I should have put in my contact? Any other tips you can give me? Thank you

Hi chrystee,
Some of the great ideas we've picked up to add to our contract have been from the Porter Davis upgrades forum, if you don't know it, the link is on my blog (which is 'clickable' at the bottom of this page - not on phones though, just a PC)
Here are some things I remember:
Plumbing behind the fridge for fridges that have water dispensers or ice makers.
Plumbing to any area you might like an inbuilt coffee machine
Outside powerpoints
Plumbing for a BBQ in the alfresco
Obviously lots of powerpoints
Gas point for any future fireplace you may have in mind
Think about how you will use your kitchen pot drawers, and they can be reconfigured if necessary. (I didnt want 8 shallow ones, so changed that)

Those are just a few things, hopefully the upgrade forum will help and good luck!!

Thank you very much madhouse1 I have had a look at that, and the things you forgot summary. I'm nervous about the contact signing and am very disappointment that they won't allow me to review it until the actually day! Even the night before would be fine, at least that way I would be able to come in ready and more prepared. I feel it would benefit them as well. Are you allowed to bring other people to your contact appointment to help you? Did you get your contact read over by a solicitor? I have read the standard HIA contact.
inglewood

We used a guy called Kevin from New Home Inspections, do a google search for New Home Inspections but again it depends on the suburb you are building. Is Sunbury in the North.
Yup we used New Home Inspections too. Really great. X
We're gonna use New Home Inspections too. Their prices are all on their website if you're wondering
Thank you! I'll check them out!
I used Alex from Urban home. Satisfied with them. I only did the final one but feel should have done frame one as well!!!
inglewood

I used A Plus Building Advice (http://www.buildingexpert.net.au) .. 1800 306 771

Been happy so far...

Timber got delivered today for framing.. looks like they are trying to frame by Xmas...
Our framing is happening in a hurry as well.
It was all delivered on Friday and they have now finished the bottom and are putting the frames to the second story. It's amazing how fast they are going. I am sure they are trying to get it done by christmas - not compaining!!

Here is my blog
http://movingtothebeach.blogspot.com/
We have been going at a cracking pace to in the lead up to Christmas too. We just got our fixing invoice! It feels like we literally just paid the lock up one!!
Stairs, doors, cabinets, kitchen, cornices, architraves all in!
The painters even got started today and apparently will be there all weekend. I think they want that finished before the break for Christmas too.
jnkbids
inglewood

I used A Plus Building Advice (http://www.buildingexpert.net.au) .. 1800 306 771

Been happy so far...

Timber got delivered today for framing.. looks like they are trying to frame by Xmas...

How come there is a fence at the side of your garage slab...shouldn't the garage wall be built on the end of your ridge line...

my suggestion to you is get all issues rectified early before the next stage...else they never will...in our case so far it has only been talking the talk...mistake after mistakes being made but we were very adamant not to accept the house until some of the major issues were resolved...we are left with a handful such as the end point of our crossover and drive not meeting (yeah PD did do our driveway and crossover).
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum