Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Small Custom Build

Page 32 of 55
Dad popped by the estate today, said there had been nothing dumped on my land, YAY (so stressed about this). Also neither of my neighbors are building yet. Although apparently a lot of houses going up over the road and down the other end of Stage 3. I wish I was building
You are lucky to have nothing dumped on your land.

The builder next to us has dumped concrete and soil on our block.

I have also been told by a guy that is already living in Arlington Ave., that he witnessed that same builder even bury some concrete and cover it with soil.

Very low act by that builder in my opinion.

I have made Bec aware of it and met her at the block to point out the problem, she said she will get it sorted.

I will be going to Pakenham for a family gathering this weekend for Mother's day and intend on dropping by the block to look for myself to see if Bec has followed up the problem of the dumped concrete.

I would recommend getting your dad drop by your land often to ensure the same thing doesn't happen to you if your neighbours start building before you do.

On a lighter note ...
I was wondering if you could find out the name and contact details of the sub-contractor that is building your front fence.
My builder wants us to chase up quotes because it looks like we are sorting the front fence for ourselves now.

Hello new neighbour!!
Are you building in stage 2 or 3?

Well that's not good news. I hope the estate sorts it out quickly for you!!! Are you ready to build yet?

My dad sometimes works out that way, so I've asked him to pop by when he can, but I'll also make a few trips out over the next little while... till building starts. I just wish the fencing was up

I did actually see on a trip down there one block in Stage 2 was piled so HIGH with dirt and rubbish between two completed houses, felt very sorry for the owner it will cost a fortune to move it all. People are just terrible.

My builder is actually building my fence as part of the build contract. Well they are putting in the brick pillars and my dad will be doing the infills afterwards. I'm with a custom builder so they are pretty flexible on most things.

I found it a nightmare to get anyone to give me a quote on a front fence, if you don't want them to build it tomorrow they ignore you. Sorry, wish I could be more help.

Who are you building with? Have you done all your contracts? I can't wait to get on site and start building.
We only bought the block 2 weeks ago in Arlington Ave. stage 3 and it settles at the end of June for us.
We are still sorting out the building quote and are currently changing the building plans to suit the block size.
The builder is Frenken Homes.
The house is an investment property and it will be rented out when completed.
Wow, didn't know there were still houses in stage 3. Congrats
Although, June is a while away!!

I have seen Frenken homes, they seem pretty good. Ooh, rental.

I'm going to be owner occupier, though this house may become an investment in the future when I'm ready to move into a family home. ^_^
So my plans had to be changed somewhat to meet the design guidelines.

I've lost 22cm off the backyard, but gained 11cm in the master bedroom. My porch is also now bigger. My fence has been drawn correctly now as well.
No increase in costs thankfully.

Just have to sign and send off, hopefully approval comes through soon.
Yay, settlement took place today. We are now the official owners. Can't wait to build.
Wow, congrats!!! I'm a bit sad that I settled back in February and still am nowhere near ready to build, and you've already settled!!
Hi Dawn, you have to ask your builder why the delay?

I drove to Ascot today. There were like 5 more houses on stage 3. Those builders are so fast.

I just praying there won't be any delay. Have to pay rental here as well as mortgage.
The delay is due to paperwork.

I only signed off on my official build contract on 15th of March (so 1 month lost there). Then I had a 14 day finance clause that took 2 weeks and a bit... and a bit more I think nearly another week for the bank to actually sent my builder the confirmation. I'm not sure what happened next, but I think we were waiting on the design panel. We heard back from them week before last, they declined my plans. So builder made amendments, and I sent signed copies to him Tuesday, so were back to waiting from the design panel. Then after that we have to go to council, I'm desperately hoping we can be on site by end of this month.. but who knows!!!

I think because I'm with a custom builder it's harder to get approval, I've heard a lot of the bigger volume builders will get there plans pre-approved for estates.

I'm lucky that I'm living with mum and dad, so no additional rent (although I do pay them some rent). It still sucks though to be paying mortgage on land I can't live on. My intention was always to be building right away ;-; but we'll get there.

I've been using all the additional savings on things for the house. I've been shopping like crazy in the last 12 months, made some big purchases like new laptop, sound system, bicycle, iPod, rabbit house.. just replacing outdated things I already had. Plus I've been stocking up on things for the house, I have a full set of pots, cutlery, dinnerware and utensils, some bakeware too. Now I'm updating small things, stationery, photo album, jewelry box..

There is no space left in my parents house though. I have boxes EVERYWHERE!! I had to pick up my light from Beacon, and there were A LOT of boxes. I've also been getting rid of things too, I gave away over 150 fiction books, 20 pairs of shoes... and there will be more before I move.
I wish we could start buying all of our furniture etc but our garage here doesn't even stay dry when it rains
I'm not buying furniture yet either, no where to store it, though my parents would make space if I really wanted something. I think I've stretched their patience far enough though... my bunnies have destroyed my mum's garden, she can't wait for them to move out

I have found what I like in furniture (unfortunately I have expensive tastes), now I just need to wait until the house is done or very close too.

I'm leaving linens until later as well, since I need to get a feel for the colours and such before I buy anything.
Keep in mind that it takes a few weeks for some furniture to be delivered once you have ordered it. One that I liked at Harvey Norman was 12-16 weeks!

My 2016 build viewtopic.php?t=81011
Wow that's a while!! The custom couch I really want has a 3month lead time, so have to make up my mind pretty early if I want it.

No news on the build. Last contact was last Tuesday... assume still waiting on the design panel.. don't understand why everything is taking so long.

Heartbroken.
I think these design panels are a load of rubbish. There are about 4 homes in the next street all SJD homes, all same brick, all same facades, they look like a row of unit's and I thought how did they get approved!

It's frustrating how long it takes, they should have to pay me for the time it takes them to review.

And they knocked us back for the smallest things, no bin location or bike storage shown on plans.. like omg!! Its my house, I think I'll decide where these things go. My builder had to show that the garden beside the driveway was 500mm wide.. like.. what..

Apparently the lap n cap fencing in the front yard (on the sides) has to be 1m high and painted in the same render as my front fence (Which is like very light grey).. how weird will that look? They are driving me crazy
I'm so stressed.. the guy at work asked me how my house was going today and I burst into tears
Oh god they are so strict. Looks like they really want to create a lovely looking estate. I found the wait for builder to start so much harder than waiting for title, just seemed to take forever!

It does feel like it takes forever.. I just wish my builder was back in control and starting, I'm totally confident in the build... I just want it to START. Another week goes by.
Off to Tyabb today to look at antiques and vintage furniture

Never know what I mind find for the new house.
Still waiting..
Related
2/10/2023
Custom build | Facade colours

Building A New House

I'd get the gutters to match your roof and pipes to match the paint - otherwise they become a feature. Nice pick with the paint colours!

30/05/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Soak wells and electrical run in happening this week! Summit has told me they will relocate the laundry plumbing after the walls are completed. I'm actually pretty happy…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum