Building ForumBuilding A New House

Anyone Heard of Freelife Homes in WA

Page 31 of 47
Thanks N3ll3, that's a shame they can't look into it further
1st Build Perth
Thanks N3ll3, that's a shame they can't look into it further

It is, isn't it
Maybe others are other better luck?
That is very useful information, thank you for posting it! I hope we hear something this week!

As you are in the industry and have spoken to the insurance company - how do they go about working 'case by case, depending on what stage of the build you are at'? I am nearing the end of completion of my build waiting for floor coverings... Do you know if they would work from builds in earlier stages or the later stages first?

Thanks for the info!
Hey N3II3,
It's hard to say, as will largely depend on qbe's own internal claims handling procedures / policies. Might be worth calling them and running a hypothetical past them. I would imagine being fairly close to completion that they will get a few quotes on completion and get it finished for you.

If they get taken over by another builder it'll be tricky as I imagine there will be some time for the builder to sort out where everyone is at and what is left to be done on various sites, which could mean a lot more delays.

Personally, At this point I don't care what the outcome is as long as they tell us very soon what is happening. We just need to know what's happening with the Company so we know what our options are and can get the ball rolling and get us into houses however this might happen.
I'm pretty sure that insurance companies put the jobs out to tender for other builders to submit bids. This would be a couple of months minimum you would suspect. However I don't know if they tender each build individually or whether they tender them together as a job lot.
FirstHomieCoolbellup
Hey N3II3,
It's hard to say, as will largely depend on qbe's own internal claims handling procedures / policies. Might be worth calling them and running a hypothetical past them. I would imagine being fairly close to completion that they will get a few quotes on completion and get it finished for you.

If they get taken over by another builder it'll be tricky as I imagine there will be some time for the builder to sort out where everyone is at and what is left to be done on various sites, which could mean a lot more delays.

Personally, At this point I don't care what the outcome is as long as they tell us very soon what is happening. We just need to know what's happening with the Company so we know what our options are and can get the ball rolling and get us into houses however this might happen.

I agree with your last point whole heartedly!
Hi All,

Just read through all the conversations.
Really disapointed as we need to keep paying for the morgage along our present rent.
It should be any law against it its just not fair we have done no wrong than why we have to pay all it sucks.

Anyone can help if contract is already expired and 2 extentions we got after that What will be our chances from QBE insurance and BC?
Do we need a Lawyer??where to approach ?And will BC solve it for us i mean how house gonna be finish?
Please Help?????
i know nothing private msg me if you dont want to post here please.....
And Do you guys know this QBE insurance policy only cover if Premium is paid otherwise no cover.
Who knows Freelife paid premiums or not .............
???????
i am freakingout .......
kaush2013
Hi All,

Really disapointed as we need to keep paying for the morgage along our present rent.
It should be any law against it its just not fair we have done no wrong than why we have to pay all it sucks.

Anyone can help if contract is already expired and 2 extentions we got after that What will be our chances from QBE insurance and BC?
Do we need a Lawyer??where to approach ?And will BC solve it for us i mean how house gonna be finish?
Please Help?????

Hi Kaush,

You can call the building commission or dept of commerce and try get some advise on possible mediation or solutions. If you call QBE and quote your policy number they will be able to advice if your policy is current. Under the HIA contract they need to have insurance in place and as I understand it doesn't expire (?) as it is secured for the life of the build. (again confirm with QBE).

The indemnity insurance is only triggered in very limited circumstances, with no current grounds applicable.
The policy is triggered in only 3 circumstances: Death, Disappearance, or insolvency.
The QBE policy info can be found here- http://www.qbe.com.au/Business/Builders ... rance.html
The second last option on the right of the screen details the policy detail, the third last is the claim form which lists the info and documents you will need to make a claim.

In the event that one of those 3 policy triggers occurs, as I understand, the process on what will happen will be case by case, depending on what stage of the build you are at and how much money you have paid thus far. As I understand the $100k limit applies to the gap in cost of what it will cost for another builder to finish your build e.g. if your contract with free life is for $200k, it will cover the cost of another builder taking on your job up to the value of $300k. you will still be responsible for payment of the original contract amount with the insurance covering the gap. The policy also stipulates a $13k cap on repayment of deposits.

My suggestion to everyone building with freelife is to get all your paperwork in order, in the event that something happens.
Kaush2013, I suggest, if you haven't already to lodge an official complaint through the building commission. Google the process - steps are listed out and easy to follow. You can seek the remedy of the rent you're paying for example. I think Youd have a good case.

Most of us are paying other expenses and the mortgage, so unfortunately you're not alone. Also, a lot of us have also had extensions to the original contract so in the same boat as you. Would not think a lawyer would be necessary, but it is all your decision.
FirstHomieCoolbellup
kaush2013
Hi All,

Please Help?????

Hi Kaush,

You can call the building commission or dept of commerce and try get some advise on possible mediation or solutions. If you call QBE and quote your policy number they will be able to advice if your policy is current. Under the HIA contract they need to have insurance in place and as I understand it does expire (?) as it is secured for the life of the build. (again confirm with QBE).

The indemnity insurance is only triggered in very limited circumstances, with no current grounds applicable.

The policy is triggered in only 3 circumstances: Death, Disappearance, or insolvency. The QBE policy info can be found here- http://www.qbe.com.au/Business/Builders ... rance.html
The second last option on the right of the screen details the policy detail, the third last is the claim form which lists the info and documents you will need to make a claim.

In the event that one of those 3 policy triggers occurs, as I understand, the process on what will happen will be case by case, depending on what stage of the build you are at and how much money you have paid thus far. As I understand the $100k limit applies to the gap in cost of what it will cost for another builder to finish your build e.g. if your contract with free life is for $200k, it will cover the cost of another builder taking on your job up to the value of $300k. you will still be responsible for payment of the original contract amount with the insurance covering the gap. The policy also stipulates a $13k cap on repayment of deposits.

My suggestion to everyone building with freelife is to get all your paperwork in order and get ready to make a claim should something and trigger the policy.

Thanks for your reply.
At the moment preparing my BC complaint and contacting a lawyer.
And also preparing all documents...
Let see What will happen?
Basically now want to sell this build now not luckyyyy lolzzz
if anyone intrested offccouse after solving these issues and after finish build God Knows....

480 sq meters land
corner (no through road)
4 bed theater and activity
only 211 sq build
To Those who haven't already, Could everyone please just email their problems with this company to enforcement@commerce.wa.gov.au no offence but sitting on here saying Wah wah I hope they do this I hope they do that is not going to solve anything. The BC have been in touch with freelife and are awaiting a response from them on their current situation to then decide if further action is required, either way they are likely to take further action due to the amount of people in the same boat.
possible outcomes
1) freelife get a kick in the butt n get their act together (highly unlikely)
2) freelife realise they are done and declare bankruptcy (u will be covered by insurance up to 100k on top of original contract price, they will not refuse your claim if the builder failed to comply or made misrepresentation) read your policy!
3) the BC gets some actual concrete evidence of a buyout and you will be informed by the BC
4) the owners of freelife can't be found and are on a beach in Thailand or something, disappearance, also covered by insurance
Whatever the case may be, the only way to make something change is to do something about it.. Yes it is a nightmare. Yes it is going to be a nightmare for a while yet, but the longer you wait hoping for this or that the longer the nightmare continues.
Rant over
Is it a good or bad sign that I can no longer find any packages for sale by Freelife, anymore? Haha :p
Hey Kaush2013,

Unless you are receiving free/cheap legal advice, I'm not sure Id go to the expense of engaging a lawyer at this stage, but of course that's up to you.

As Peteg51 has said, the building commission have advised that they have requested info from Free life about their position following a number of complaints. They are expecting a response from Freelife in the next week, which they have advised they will provide info on to those who have complained once they receive it.

The BC will then decide what action to take.

Good to get confirm that things are on foot with a government agency and things are happening in that space. Hopefully this means some real info shortly regardless of what the outcome is.

At risk of sounding like a sympathiser....I am inclined to give Freelife the benefit of the doubt in some respects, this can't be a fun situation for them to be in and sad to see a small local company in trouble. Not sure about othersa but one of the reasons I chose Freelife in the first place was that where possible I like to support and champion small local businesses. Anyway, thats all Ill say in their defence.
Peteg51 your so right please everyone send complaints to the building commission
FirstHomieCoolbellup
Hey Kaush2013,

Unless you are receiving free/cheap legal advice, I'm not sure Id go to the expense of engaging a lawyer at this stage, but of course that's up to you.

As Peteg51 has said, the building commission have advised that they have requested info from Free life about their position following a number of complaints. They are expecting a response from Freelife in the next week, which they have advised they will provide info on to those who have complained once they receive it.

The BC will then decide what action to take.

Good to get confirm that things are on foot with a government agency and things are happening in that space. Hopefully this means some real info shortly regardless of what the outcome is.

At risk of sounding like a sympathiser....I am inclined to give Freelife the benefit of the doubt in some respects, this can't be a fun situation for them to be in and sad to see a small local company in trouble. Not sure about othersa but one of the reasons I chose Freelife in the first place was that where possible I like to support and champion small local businesses. Anyway, thats all Ill say in their defence.

Im as advised by a lawyer to engage the BC in these matters. It's the cheapest and most effective solution to this. But if you have cash and a legitimate grievance against Freelife go nuts and send them broke for us!
I'm just hoping we hear something soon! 15 months since the build began (let alone the almost 2 years since we started dealing with this company) and I am well and truly ready.
Spoke to insurance today QBE
Good to hear that policy is valid and they also gave a rough quote.
They said your builder is still trading not yet showing liquidation. .... which is strange
Anyway spoke to bank and freeze the final payment to builder. ( anyway already they got what they need basically nothing much left)
Send the notice to builder and prepared everything to lodge my case...
Visit to BC they said this builder gonna be in trouble they already got so many complaints reallyyyy we are in trouble not the builder....
Hopefully things will get solve soon and BC said this complaint process will take min 3 months if followed step by step .... not good

Yes I wouldn't worry for lawyer at thos stage thanks for all for advice...
kaush2013
Spoke to insurance today QBE
Good to hear that policy is valid and they also gave a rough quote.
They said your builder is still trading not yet showing liquidation. .... which is strange
Anyway spoke to bank and freeze the final payment to builder. ( anyway already they got what they need basically nothing much left)
Send the notice to builder and prepared everything to lodge my case...
Visit to BC they said this builder gonna be in trouble they already got so many complaints reallyyyy we are in trouble not the builder....
Hopefully things will get solve soon and BC said this complaint process will take min 3 months if followed step by step .... not good

Yes I wouldn't worry for lawyer at thos stage thanks for all for advice...

Why is the final payment to the bank frozen? It wouldn't be released until all work is done and a valuation had occurred from the bank anyway...
Hi all, thanks N3113, you have given some good advice to us all. It seems you are a little further on your build than mine, but only 1 progress payment to go! I will also be sending in my forms and documented evidence to the BC on Thursday. I haven't received any replies to my e mails regards progress on the build, and quite frankly don't expect them!!!!!!! Seems like they have a lot on their plates right now, time probably taken with meetings and visits from important people!! I hope that with in the next week or two we will all know the outcome of this company. Whether it's a take over or liquidation. Just knowing the truth would be a relief. I strongly recommend all clients of freelife to complain to the BC, asap as action is a must at this time. The other thing I would recommend if you are so lucky, is to assign an independent Building Inspector before handover. I can guarantee there will be a list full of errors that need fixing, and some which we can't see! It's worth the money.
Related
9/12/2023
Anyone building with Zac Homes?

Building A New House

Wish you all the best. Once you signed the contract, they will find millions excuses to charge you. And have seen their sites unfinished for a long time.

23/04/2024
Omaxe homes - Melbourne - anyone built with them?

Building A New House

I haven’t. But have a Lowe Design home. Not only did I find Matt Lowe patronising and a bully, but the home is NOT TO CODE. I have water coming through the bricks…

15/04/2024
AllCastle Homes has anyone built in 2023

Building A New House

Hi we are looking to talk to people who have built with them recently. We have signed mid range built contract but identified that a lot of things are not included.…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum