Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Things you forget - summary page 32

Page 31 of 62
Stewie D
Not sure if they mean drainage pipe sizes for vanities, sinks etc or floor wastes.

It was a bit confusing.

If it was the floor waste, why would the SS have referred to 50mm when there was at least one other larger one already fitted? He would have to have known if only from experience.

Two or more floor wastes in the laundry?
i think you guys mis understood me
either a window OR a skylight so that the room can have natural light when you need it...
you would be crazy to put a skylight in everyroom

the pantry is not so bad i guess, in there for a max of 1-5 minutes at a time. So a light would suffice

I really only use my study at night during weekdays, and the only times I'm in there during the day is the weekend. However during these times, I reallllly wish I had natural light, feels like im in the office again
Hi guys, sorry for the confusion. When I said drain holes, I'm referring to the floor wastes- I'm still getting used to the terminology used by the builders.

SaveH2O - The other floor wastes which are 100mm are the shower floor wastes, the powder room floor waste well as the additional floor waste in the ensuite. We requested an additional floor waste in the laundry in the unlikely event that the washing machine overflows.

I informed the SS that I spoke to a few plumbers, including the one he supplied, and all said that if they were made aware of the reason for the additional floor waste in the laundry, then it would be 100mm in size and connected to the sewerage drain. That's right, the additional floor waste is not connected to the sewerage drain.

We met with the SS a few days ago and he assured us that the additional drain hole in the laundry exits at the edge of the house slab. When I asked him to show me the exit place, he couldn't find it and flippantly said "oh, that may be a problem. Leave it with me." We've yet to hear back. He also said that with additional floor wastes, he's never installed one at 100mm- so why does the ensuite have an additional floor waste that measures 100mm? I think the SS knows this is a problem but is trying to gloss it over. I feel like my head is hitting a wall whenever I ask about this additional floor waste in the laundry. I'm at the "over it" stage.

Thanks for taking the time to read my gripe and also reply.

~Shell
This from experience. If you have anyone in the household who goes to work in their car earlier than you want to wake up do not put bedrooms, well your bedroom anyway, above a garage with automatic doors. Unless you are a heavy sleeper the sound of the doors opening and closing will wake you up.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue?
woodyren
This from experience. If you have anyone in the household who goes to work in their car earlier than you want to wake up do not put bedrooms, well your bedroom anyway, above a garage with automatic doors. Unless you are a heavy sleeper the sound of the doors opening and closing will wake you up.

Yeah my 3 year old son's room is right next to our garage so whenever Daddy comes home from work after bedtime he just parks on the driveway and comes in a side door to avoid waking the beast!
The build we're looking at has only the laundry next to the garage for this very reason!!
Building with Carlisle and as most people have said in this thread - the questions/points raised are invaluable.

We have generated a long list based on the information here and given much to consider and will be taking it to our colour selection/electrical meetings and ensuring the points/questions are asked pre-tender!

Thanks to all the great posters in this thread
Excellent thread. I have added a few things to my list which I definitely wouldn't have thought of! Thanks all!
First of all thank you so much to the everyone who had kindly post their 2 cents to this forum. This is a gold mine and appreciate all of you guys time and effort put on this. We have also decided to build with Carlisle Homes (Atlantique MK4) 33 - put a deposit to a block of a land in Taylors Hill area. Now waiting for Color browing appointment. So far this thread helped me so much to prepare my checklist.
Quote:

Yes woodyren.
I've written a few specs for clients that spell out in large print to allow for soundproofing ( usually acoustic batts and soundchek plasterboard ) if the design has a garage underneath a bedroom which is pretty common for most two storey homes these days.
A good point to raise though and well worth adding to the list.

Stewie
One cool thing I saw on a blog was the double power point with two USB points on it too. Check it out. I just got the electrician to replace it with the standard one.

http://sockitz.com.au/

You can buy a cheap version from coles or bunnings but it is like a double adapter very bulky.
They were posted here back in 2010
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37386
but worthy of adding to the list in case some people didn't know about them.

Stewie
millsy_mcleod05
One cool thing I saw on a blog was the double power point with two USB points on it too. Check it out. I just got the electrician to replace it with the standard one.

http://sockitz.com.au/

You can buy a cheap version from coles or bunnings but it is like a double adapter very bulky.

Also, Sockitz are electrically disconnected when no device is plugged in. This means no leakage power draw from the transformer when there is nothing plugged in.
Trying to figure out if it's worth doing now - hard hard will it be to get smart wiring conduit to the alfresco if we decide to put in a "smart" surround sound later on. Would the installer be able to work it out or should be set the wiring up now?
navs
Trying to figure out if it's worth doing now - hard hard will it be to get smart wiring conduit to the alfresco if we decide to put in a "smart" surround sound later on. Would the installer be able to work it out or should be set the wiring up now?

The hard part is always having to think NOW about what you'll want LATER

I'm not sure though that I understand your question fully though, what do you mean by "smart wiring" for the alfresco ?

If you're thinking of controlling your sound system from the alfresco via C-Bus (or similar) then you're going to need control wire(s) from the alfresco to your hub area.

You'll also going to want to run speaker wires from your sound source to your alfresco area.

I'm not seeing ANY situation where it's going to be easier to install the required wires after building compared to installing them now !

So, definitely "Yes" in answer to your question, at a minimum run conduit in the walls (and for added points, stick a draw-string through it) in the wall cavity at least to the ceiling / attic area.

Run 12 gauge speaker wire from the ceiling of your alfresco area to where you'll be having your sound source, if you don't get ripped off it's dirt cheap to buy good quality stuff.

P_D

100m = 189.95
http://www.selby.com.au/cables/speaker- ... 12100.html

50m = $104.95
http://www.selby.com.au/cables/speaker- ... g1250.html

Disclaimer.....No connection with them at all, I've bought this stuff from them before and will be doing so for our new house.
Haha sorry meant a conduit to alfresco to control our music with a hub that we may buy in the future that will be placed in the lounge room (so we can play off our main computer/internet etc) - intelligent homes can run one now for about $300.

I think we should bite the bullet and just do it now too.
My DH agonised over a similar issue with future proofing for sounds systems. To wire or not to wire? In the end he just wired two adjoining rooms (surround sound in TV room which I might add rolling my eyes he still hasn't figured out how to operate!) and ceiling speakers in adjoining living room, all connected up to the same hub. But for the alfresco and other areas he chose wireless system called Sonos, which even I am loving.

Oh that reminds me. Another do now not later idea - DH put a conduit in the wall where he wanted the wall mounted TV (with TV antenna positioned correctly). Tue conduit ran down the wall cavity and opened near the bottom at the skirting board. He runs all the cords down the conduit so when the TV is on the wall you don't see any ugly cords hanging on the nice clean walls. Maybe everyone does this already? I thought he was being anal, but actually I am really glad he thought ahead about this stuff now that we have moved in.
My DH agonised over a similar issue with future proofing for sounds systems. To wire or not to wire? In the end he just wired two adjoining rooms (surround sound in TV room which I might add rolling my eyes he still hasn't figured out how to operate!) and ceiling speakers in adjoining living room, all connected up to the same hub. But for the alfresco and other areas he chose wireless system called Sonos, which even I am loving.

Oh that reminds me. Another do now not later idea - DH put a conduit in the wall where he wanted the wall mounted TV (with TV antenna positioned correctly). Tue conduit ran down the wall cavity and opened near the bottom at the skirting board. He runs all the cords down the conduit so when the TV is on the wall you don't see any ugly cords hanging on the nice clean walls. Maybe everyone does this already? I thought he was being anal, but actually I am really glad he thought ahead about this stuff now that we have moved in.
We had a demo with intelligent homes using the Sonos System which I quite liked and wanted in the alfresco but we just can't afford it now after going over budget on other things

We are doing the wall mounting thing too with intelligent homes - the guy there actually suggested it, I'm not sure if we have another one down the bottom, might have to check on that, sounds like a good idea.
I am using xbmc on homebuilt systems. You can get it on a raspberry pi starting for as little as $35. Probably get a streaming media centre for audio up for about $80 using this platform.
That sounds intriguing and buget friendly, might look into that thanks daveinthehills.
Related
1/09/2023
Things can be done after construction.

Building A New House

Depends what you're current inclusions are, but we're not including wardrobes and will just use second hand ones until we can save later on to get them built. Also have a…

5/06/2023
OB in SA: Do you need a permit? recommendations

Owner Builder Forum

Looking to start the journey of becoming an owner builder in SA. Feeling pretty (overly) confident on the building and construction details, but really struggling to find…

6/06/2023
Do you think this kitchen is original

Kitchen Corner

No. It's not original. Circa early to mid 90s would be my guess and maybe even as late as early 2000s

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum