Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our Custom Hamptons Inspired Home - We are in!!!

Page 4 of 40
I would go alpine mist with the larger subway. As a previous poster said, the others don't seem quite like the right colour. I think the larger subway would look pretty chic. Good luck!

Special_K
White subway in a Herringbone for mine. Not going for black handles with shaker cabinets?

Nope, sticking with brushed nickel to match the tap ware. I do like the black if you're going with a more industrial style

Magavin
I agree with Yvonneh the smaller tiles with the London grey. I think alpine mist might be a bit too much with the tile. If it was a white tile I would do alpine but not blue. I am doing a white beveled subway with bianco drift stone and white shaker cabinets can't wait till it all comes together in the next few weeks. Love the Hampton style and am paying homage to it in my modern home with an industrial twist

Yes, that's what I've been thinking, that Alpine Mist would look better with a white tile as it really is the standout feature on the kitchen.

Your choices sound lovely. I've got a sample of bianco drift but have not seen a full slab of it as I don't think it was released when I went to the showroom.

Waldorf_Grange_Build
Dani_J
Okay ladies and gents, in today's update I'm going to present my internal colour selections for the kitchen (cause let's face it, it's the best part and we spend the most time stressing over), and I would greatly appreciate any advice/ feedback, particularly regarding tile and stone choices.

Oh and did I mention I have been OBSESSING about tiles and benchtops for the best part of a year?! I have been in and out of a dozen tile shops, been to all the main showrooms for each stone supplier, yep Caesarstone, Silestone, Essastone, Quantum Quartz, Smartstone, you name it. I have tonnes of samples littered all over my study floor.
I don't know why but I just find it incredibly difficult to choose this stuff, maybe because there are so many lovely options to choose from.

Anyway, my general approach to things is "less is more" and keeping to a fairly neutral palette when it comes to permanent fittings. I figure you can't go wrong with this approach as additional colour and patterns can be introduced through styling. Though I do wonder if my choices are a little boring at times. Case in point is our kitchen. Most of the Hamptons style kitchens you see have the traditional white shaker cabinets paired with some sort of white or grey stone/marble top with white subway tiles. That's all fair and well but I would like to be a bit more adventurous with our kitchen splashback and introduce a bit of colour. Let me show you what I mean...

KITCHEN INSPIRATION:

This pic above was one of the first images I collected on Pintrest and I was instantly smitten with the idea of a blue-ish splashback...

The pic above cemented it! I really love this kitchen with the combination of white and blue although it's slightly too traditional for my taste with the built in range. If you haven't checked out Melinda's website, do yourself a favour. You can find it here: http://www.melindahartwright.com/

And this one. I decided early on that we weren't going to have overhead cabinets in the kitchen as a) I'm short so they are no fun to reach, and b) I wanted windows like this either side of the rangehood to allow in some natural light. Like this, I am also thinking of tiling to the ceiling, as I think it would look weird if we stop just underneath the range. Thoughts?

So all this led me looking all over Melbourne for blue subway tiles (harder than you think). I found a tile I liked early on at Beaumont Tiles but dismissed it as being too blue initially. But after collecting a dozen samples, it's the one I keep coming back to. I initially had it paired with Caesarstone Alpine Mist which I had chosen before this tile, but I am worried that together it will be too busy. Recently I have been leaning towards London Grey, though also considering Frosty Carrina.

CURRENT KITCHEN CHOICES:

Our cabinets will be like this - shaker style in Polar White with a satin finish.

Current stone favourites above. Hard to decide which one...

Current tile choice is Agrestic Blue Gloss. These pics don't do it justice. In natural light, they look more blue than grey. They also come in two different sizes (75x300 top and 75x100 bottom). Not sure which is best.

Here are the stone samples alongside the tile and cabinet colour sample (London Grey middle, Alpine Mist right). Sorry about the poor lighting.

What do you guys think? REALLY need your help on our benchtop /splashback combination as this has been driving me nuts for months!

I definitely want to stick with Caesarstone as I just love their range, but I don't want a benchtop that is too veiny, if you know what I mean. Though I don't mind the veins in the Alpine Mist as they are white. And is the idea of a blue-grey subway tiles terrible? Am I better off with sticking with the safe option of white instead?

SaveSave

Beautiful options.

We ended up with subway tiles too, and went for the longer ones because the interior designer we spoke to said because they were slightly uneven edges the smaller they were the busier the look. That is not necessarily a bad thing, just depends what you are wanting to achieve.

Here is a pic of our splashback.

I think the Alpine Mist would look the best as the others have a creamy tinge and with white cabinets I think the white streaks in the Alpine Mist will really compliment.

Love your splashback! The uneven tiles do look so nice. The one I am looking at is also uneven. I think for a larger space, larger ones are usually recommended. Though traditional subway tiles are smaller, and that's what you tend to see more of online, hence my indecision!

BrownDog77
There is a build on Coral homes Kikki that has used those tiles offset for splashback & they look beautiful. We are doing them in white herringbone but longer version (think maybe I should've picked stubby ones ) both colour consultants suggested the long. I love London grey but have you looked at organic white ? I haven't seen large slab but have been told it throws a grey (we are hoping to use it)
I think whatever you choose will be beautiful

Thanks, yes have seen kiki's. They are a brighter blue, not quite the same but lovely nonetheless.

We are having organic white in our ensuite and powder room with light grey cabinets. Will share pics soon!

Thanks you everyone for all your responses. Very, very much appreciated. Hubby is well and truly over it all by now, and fair enough too
. So it's a relief to get advice from others who also like to think about this stuff!

Love the look of everything Dani, we're in the process of building and going for a modern Hamptons theme too. We didn't have the budget for a custom staircase with timber treads and railing sadly because all our additional funds went into our kitchen, ensuite and flooring etc but yours will be stunning based on your inspo photos.

Follow our build with Express Two Storey (Ventura Group): http://tinyurl.com/jlykgph
mrsdoe
Love the look of everything Dani, we're in the process of building and going for a modern Hamptons theme too. We didn't have the budget for a custom staircase with timber treads and railing sadly because all our additional funds went into our kitchen, ensuite and flooring etc but yours will be stunning based on your inspo photos.

Follow our build with Express Two Storey (Ventura Group): http://tinyurl.com/jlykgph

Thanks MrsDoe. I hope so! Just had a peek at your thread at if your furniture choices are anything to go by, your house will be a lovely homage to the Hamptons
. I haven't allowed myself to look at furniture yet as I think once I start there will be no stopping me!

Your colour choices are also stunning! Can't wait to see your kitchen come to life.

So we just received the fantastic news yesterday that we've finally got our building permit!!
. Now just waiting for our builder to confirm our start date. Should be in 1-2 weeks and mean we can get a slab down before Easter!

Today I am off to the Caesarstone showroom with our tile choice as I just can't seem to let this blue-grey tile go or decide which stone colour best goes with it. Really hope the large slab sizes on display will make it obvious.

Dani_J
So we just received the fantastic news yesterday that we've finally got our building permit!!
. Now just waiting for our builder to confirm our start date. Should be in 1-2 weeks and mean we can get a slab down before Easter!

Today I am off to the Caesarstone showroom with our tile choice as I just can't seem to let this blue-grey tile go or decide which stone colour best goes with it. Really hope the large slab sizes on display will make it obvious.

Congrats on building permit!
Goodluck at Caesarstone
If you get a chance could you take a pic of the organic white? No centre close to me here so can only view small squares of it
you will make the right choice, you have great tastes

Dani_J

Yay! Congrats it's all happening now!! Great idea about the Caesarstone showroom. You take that little tile in and find it a mate! Oh yes and if you can take some photos of the beautiful slabs that would be awesome!!! I wonder if they will have noble grey I think that will be great contender for the little blue tile

Finally back from my road trip and we have a winner... and it's not any of the ones I had previously narrowed it down to

And the winner is... Calacatta Nuvo. It's a bit cooler in tone than Frosty Carrina and the soft grey veins tie in nicely with the blue-grey tile. I am 100% happy with this choice. It just seems right. Funny I have a small sample of it amongst my gazillion other samples but it was a bit of a crap sample without any of the veins so I'd dismissed it early on. Just goes to show you, it's good to look at larger samples if possible when making these choices.

Final Choice below: Caesarstone Calacatta Nuvo benchtops with Laminex Polar White cabinets in 2-pac satin finish with Agrestic Blue Gloss 75 x 300 subway tile

BrownDog, so sorry did not see your post until now, so I don't have a photo for you.
Kicking myself for not checking the forum before I left there! But I can say that a) a photo would not have done it justice as the lighting is not the best in there, and 2) I inspected it closely as we are also having Organic White in our ensuite and powder room and it's one of those where the small sample is quite true to the larger slab. At the showroom, they have larger samples which you can purchase for $5 (like the one in my photo). I wonder if you call them whether you can get one mailed out to you? They are way better than the tiny squares you can order on their website.

Magavin, Noble Grey is a lovely choice, but as it's quite a strong colour I think it's best paired with a white splashback so you can let it "pop" and be the standout feature in the kitchen if you know what I mean.

SaveSave
Dani_J
Finally back from my road trip and we have a winner... and it's not any of the ones I had previously narrowed it down to

And the winner is... Calacatta Nuvo. It's a bit cooler in tone than Frosty Carrina and the soft grey veins tie in nicely with the blue-grey tile. I am 100% happy with this choice. It just seems right. Funny I have a small sample of it amongst my gazillion other samples but it was a bit of a crap sample without any of the veins so I'd dismissed it early on. Just goes to show you, it's good to look at larger samples if possible when making these choices.

Final Choice below: Caesarstone Calacatta Nuvo benchtops with Laminex Polar White cabinets in 2-pac satin finish with Agrestic Blue Gloss 75 x 300 subway tile

BrownDog, so sorry did not see your post until now, so I don't have a photo for you.
Kicking myself for not checking the forum before I left there! But I can say that a) a photo would not have done it justice as the lighting is not the best in there, and 2) I inspected it closely as we are also having Organic White in our ensuite and powder room and it's one of those where the small sample is quite true to the larger slab. At the showroom, they have larger samples which you can purchase for $5 (like the one in my photo). I wonder if you call them whether you can get one mailed out to you? They are way better than the tiny squares you can order on their website.

Magavin, Noble Grey is a lovely choice, but as it's quite a strong colour I think it's best paired with a white splashback so you can let it "pop" and be the standout feature in the kitchen if you know what I mean.

SaveSave

Beautiful choice. That combo looks great

Your selection is perfect
well done & how exciting!!!!!!

That's a gorgeous combination!

Thanks for the info
great choice I love that stone just out of our budget with our builder
perhaps our next home
your choices will look perfect together

While we are still talking kitchens, here are our appliance choices. It came down to either F&P or Bosch. After lots of trips to the Good Guys, felt F&P had the nicer, better value range and seems easier to use. Just hope the black ceramic does not clash too much with the white cabinets!!

Decided in the end to forego a pyrolytic oven as could not justify the expense for self cleaning when I only clean my oven like once a year, if that!!!
Just was important to me that had several functions and a digital display so can get a precise temperature.

Took ages to decide on appliances as well. Product Review website is not much help as just seems to be mostly ppl with bad experiences and negative reviews regardless of the product. Also signed up to Choice reviews which were marginally more helpful as at least independent. Used this mostly to decide on the dishwasher and we stuck with Bosch in the end.

Other kitchen choices include:
- Undermount sinks to island bench (double) and galley (single)
- 6 x pot drawers
- Pull out bin drawer
Oh and for those interested, here is a list of our upgrades. Meant to post this early on, but did not get around to it.

General upgrades:

- 2700mm high ceilings throughout
- Skirtings & architraves 92mm high in lieu of 67mm high
- Acoustic batts and soundcheck plasterboard to Master, WIR, garage internal walls
- Stairs as per Hamptons style stained and painted design
- Gas ducted heating (additional points to ensuite and laundry) with add on refrigerated cooling, 4 zones with programmable controller
- Tiles to alfresco area
- Increased wall & floor tile allowance from ceramic to porcelain tiles
- Increased carpet and underlay allowance
- Garage panel lift door in white powdercoat
- Master WIR fit out
- Bed 2 & 3 robes with flush panel sliding doors in lieu of mirror sliding doors
- 2x Additional external taps

Kitchen, bathroom and laundry upgrades:

- Kitchen appliances from non standard range
- 2 pac joinery to kitchen, ensuite & powder room cabinets
- 20mm Caesarstone Cat 3 to ensuite & powder
- 40mm Caesarstone Cat 4 to kitchen & galley
- Soft closers to all drawers
- Door and drawer handles from non standard range
- 2 rows of shelving above galley window
- Pull out bins to kitchen
- Overhead shelf & hanging rail to laundry above bench
- Pull out laundry hampers
- Additional shower head & rail and mixer to ensuite shower (2 no. In total)
- Install 1 niche to bath shower and 1 shelf to ensuite shower
- Ladder towel rail to ensuite in lieu of standard towel rail
- Sinks, basins and tapware from non standard range
- Walls to bathroom, ensuite and powder tiled to half height

Supplying ourselves during the build:

- Kitchen appliances
- Tapware
- Feature lights to porch and alfresco
- Pendant lights to dining, master and void above stairs

Doing ourselves after handover:

- Supply & lay exposed aggregate to driveway including over porch area
- Supply & install timber flooring
- Supply & install letterbox (rendered column style required by our developer)
- Fencing & landscaping

Dani_J
While we are still talking kitchens, here are our appliance choices. It came down to either F&P or Bosch. After lots of trips to the Good Guys, felt F&P had the nicer, better value range and seems easier to use. Just hope the black ceramic does not clash too much with the white cabinets!!

We are having two ovens in a wall tower so we can cook multiple things at once. Decided in the end to forego a pyrolytic oven as could not justify the expense for self cleaning when I only clean my oven like once a year, if that!!!
Just was important to me that had several functions and a digital display so can get a precise temperature.

Took ages to decide on appliances as well. Product Review website is not much help as just seems to be mostly ppl with bad experiences and negative reviews regardless of the product. Also signed up to Choice reviews which were marginally more helpful as at least independent. Used this mostly to decide on the dishwasher and we stuck with Bosch in the end.

Other kitchen choices include:
- Undermount sinks to island bench (double) and galley (single)
- 6 x pot drawers
- Pull out bin drawer

I chose F & P too! It came down to the top of the range 9 function 90L oven or the base price 11 function pyrolytic 85L and I ended up choosing the pyrolytic. I second guessed myself as soon as I locked it in!!!! Oh well it's done now. I'm sure anything will be better than the upright chef ovens I've only ever experienced while renting. I'll probably burn everything to begin with
I also worried about the black and white but I'm sure it won't matter and I think at night the lights from the oven touch screen buttons will look fancy. Are you integrating the rangehood into some dummy cupboards?? We have. With glass overheads either side. Fingers crossed it will look good. After seeing the carcasses up Im kind of thinking I should have chose the 900mm instead of the 600mm as the glass cabinets seem like they are going to be a lot bigger than the rangehood cabinets. Im the worst at second guessing my decisions!!!

Hey Magavin, have you a thread I can follow?

Related
27/09/2023
Custom home builder in north east Melbourne

Building A New House

Hi, can anyone recommend a custom home builder who can build in north east area? Looking to build a custom 4-br energy-efficient home with a max budget of 750k. If they…

1/01/2024
Custom Home Design - Suggestions and Recommendation

Building A New House

ideal house depends on the site and location as much as internal floor plan....what is the distance from the house to all four boundaries, where is north, describe your…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum