Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

The epic home building race - HANDOVER FINALLY!!!

Page 4 of 25
Thanks! On my way to work, saw some frames come down the highway...
alas, my wife said no action again today..

glad to hear you guys are coping with the temp home!
Hi again, for our heating we will have a wood boiler in its own boiler room, with 10 radiators through the house, walls have 2.5r batts and sarking, roof has batts 4.5r, and anticon blanket. Double glazing for the whole house and a little wood heater in the lounge room just so I can watch the flames. I think we will be warm! All the radiators have their own thermostatic valves so can turn them off or adjust the temp in each room to suit.
ruraldoc
fleabee86
That's awesome!!!!

Maybe my next house will be bigger
you guys will have heaps of space to move around

Have you got a date for the slab yet??

Sadly, it has been slow progress to date... Though the builders have suggested slab to be down after Easter, so here's hoping!

It's B-Day + 67 and so now nearly 10 weeks since the site was scraped.

Starting to prepare for baby in a 3-bed house!
(one of which is currently a small sewing room!)

Oh I feel your pain
hopefully not too much longer!

I can't believe it's been 10 weeks! We're only 4 weeks since out pad was cut and I'm getting angry that they keep moving the date for the slab......
Lorri
Hi again, for our heating we will have a wood boiler in its own boiler room, with 10 radiators through the house, walls have 2.5r batts and sarking, roof has batts 4.5r, and anticon blanket. Double glazing for the whole house and a little wood heater in the lounge room just so I can watch the flames. I think we will be warm! All the radiators have their own thermostatic valves so can turn them off or adjust the temp in each room to suit.

Thanks for that. Very interesting! I have seen some established homes on sale around here, many of them have 'underfloor heating' which sounds like a gimmick to me - as your feet might be warm but what about the rest!?

Otherwise lots of room wood/gas heaters in the older homes. Definitely would consider double glazing if it meant a big improvement vs cost. We have got some family in Canada and they laughed when we mentioned we would get R4 batts... coz they have R40!
fleabee86
ruraldoc
fleabee86
That's awesome!!!!

Sadly, it has been slow progress to date... Though the builders have suggested slab to be down after Easter, so here's hoping!

Oh I feel your pain

I can't believe it's been 10 weeks! We're only 4 weeks since out pad was cut and I'm getting angry that they keep moving the date for the slab......

Our build is a bit special coz we had lots of site works with an important retaining wall to be settled in before anything went ahead. And of course rain and holidays got in the way too!

As I mentioned in your thread, interesting that you get an online build tracking system (sounds like??). But agree, sometimes too much info can make you feel more anticipation!

Yay! More action today! As I had noticed last time I went for a look, they have laid the plumbing for two of the three plumbing areas. Looks like they are finishing the third area and then running it out to the sewers/water lines.
Hopefully more work to be done tomorrow? Maybe start pouring slab tomorrow!? (One can hope... though I don't know how much work they still have to do!)
We will be going away this weekend to Goldie for some baby shopping, but before that, our son's first soccer seasons is starting on Saturday. Hopefully will be able to post pics of some finished stuff before we leave.
"'underfloor heating' which sounds like a gimmick to me - as your feet might be warm but what about the rest!?"
It's the best heat of all, no cold spots just and even warmth wherever you are.

ruraldoc
fleabee86
ruraldoc
[quote="fleabee86"]That's awesome!!!!

Oh I feel your pain

Our build is a bit special coz we had lots of site works with an important retaining wall to be settled in before anything went ahead. And of course rain and holidays got in the way too!

As I mentioned in your thread, interesting that you get an online build tracking system (sounds like??). But agree, sometimes too much info can make you feel more anticipation![/quote]

Yeah it's called c3 and they give you a log in etc. it has all of the documents that you have requested and signed as well as when different jobs that are booked in. But they do just change the dates so sometimes you're left thinking that it would be better not knowing!

Underfloor heating is really good, we did consider it but when we got a quote for $50000 to install it and the wood boiler we said forget it and when we were in the Uk bought 10 radiators and valves and shipped them over, for a third of the cost it think it was. Seems like they want to rip you off over here with hydronics.
You should really look into double glazing, it does make a difference.
I think I'm downing the "underfloor heating" because we didn't go with it. I would probably like to try walking around one of the houses with it and see if it will change my opinion.

However, I think I knew it was going to be pretty dear as well... (50,000 $!! eek!!!)
Hope you had a good trip to the coast over the weekend RuralDoc, did anything further happen at your place??

I've passed out at the under floor heating price, holy smoke.

Tribe7
Hope you had a good trip to the coast over the weekend RuralDoc, did anything further happen at your place??

I've passed out at the under floor heating price, holy smoke.

Thanks! Gold Coast was fine. No dramas or major disasters. But hectic with lots of running around. We got there in the end.

Yes! We have form work done!! which means the pour shouldn't be much further away! Webb Concreting is our local concretor... they were pretty quick with the concrete retaining wall... Can't wait to see their slab skills...

Pics on the way...

We are formed! Lots of pics taken in all angles! But I'll save you all from the spam.😁

In other news, whilst we were baby shopping we popped into a lighting shop because I'm starting to warm to the idea of pendant lighting... and we still need to buy our outdoor facade lights. Here are some things I found for ?over the kitchen island. Then maybe the entry? And then the facade?

Otherwise, we will be going away again next week... (for work) so perhaps a chance of frames on the lot by the time we get back? 😜
Great news RuralDoc you go away and your all boxed up, those lamingtons are wrapped and the rio is in place I would be jumping for joy your so close to getting your slab now. Looks massive too!!

Now your talking RuralDoc, pendants add a whole layer of texture, warmth and style to a home. The big round one is a Raymond Mooi replica, very fancy
the upside down lights are fab too.

For a little light reading there are a few great online shops too.

Mica lighting
Go lights
Matt blatt (you can always search for a replica)
JD Lighting
Lighting Superstore
Mercator
Beacon lighting
Lighting illusions

Happy searching

Rural that's awesome!!! I would say you will get your slab today or Wednesday?? Ours was boxed and poured the very next day
I love the lights
hubby is an electrician so I have heaps of lights to buy
I chose the up down lights for our front pillars of the house!

Did you get a slab Rural???
fleabee86
Rural that's awesome!!! I would say you will get your slab today or Wednesday?? Ours was boxed and poured the very next day
I love the lights

Seriously? Your so insanely lucky.

Wow, busy day today... and I often get home late

But nope, no slab yet... as of 10am today when my wife went to check. She saw a man lay more rio, but then she had to go to work.
Anzac Day tomorrow so I will sneak a peek at some stage tomorrow.
Tribe7
fleabee86
I love the lights

Seriously? Your so insanely lucky.

Yes and no
as hubby works away I have my brother (also an electrician) lined up just in case

ruraldoc
Wow, busy day today... and I often get home late

But nope, no slab yet... as of 10am today when my wife went to check. She saw a man lay more rio, but then she had to go to work.
Anzac Day tomorrow so I will sneak a peek at some stage tomorrow.

It's getting close though

Related
12/09/2023
Can a variation dispute hold up handover?

Building A New House

yes it does, you've just not understood it. theres a difference.

13/11/2023
Key Handover

General Discussion

Your house should come in "as new" condition. It should be clean, and without stains

10/05/2024
Final Invoice and Key Handover

Building A New House

Hi Need to read your contract about when final payment is received. Clearly outlines what happens. In vic, known defects or incomplete work must be completed before…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum