Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Simonds Sierra - Adelaide, South Australia

Page 4 of 8
cmae.19
Hi guys, just a general question here.
Trying to organise fencing and its been so complicated with my neighbours, we gave them all the appropriate paper work and all we got back was a copy of their plans and a written letter on a scrap piece of paper

Not only are they building on the boundary, they are also elevating their slab for their one story home, and are requesting to get requoted for a higher fence. Which we dont mind at the end of the day as that fence resides where our alfresco area is. But, does that mean they have to pay extra, say 40% / 60% split as it was an elected choice made my neighbours??

If anyone could shed some light on this, that would be great! Thanks

Can you consult your fencing company with what to do? There were many things I disliked about our fencing company but one thing was that they really knew all the laws.
I think the only time you can get away with paying less is if you sent them a quote for wood and they reply they want colourbond. How much extra is the higher fence from what you've gotten quoted?
I guess the only good thing about building on the boundary is you don't probably need a fence for that section?

Hopefully it all works out! Getting our fence done was the biggest headache - way worse than actually building the house!!
Megera
cmae.19
Hi guys, just a general question here.
Trying to organise fencing and its been so complicated with my neighbours, we gave them all the appropriate paper work and all we got back was a copy of their plans and a written letter on a scrap piece of paper

Not only are they building on the boundary, they are also elevating their slab for their one story home, and are requesting to get requoted for a higher fence. Which we dont mind at the end of the day as that fence resides where our alfresco area is. But, does that mean they have to pay extra, say 40% / 60% split as it was an elected choice made my neighbours??

If anyone could shed some light on this, that would be great! Thanks

Can you consult your fencing company with what to do? There were many things I disliked about our fencing company but one thing was that they really knew all the laws.
I think the only time you can get away with paying less is if you sent them a quote for wood and they reply they want colourbond. How much extra is the higher fence from what you've gotten quoted?
I guess the only good thing about building on the boundary is you don't probably need a fence for that section?

Hopefully it all works out! Getting our fence done was the biggest headache - way worse than actually building the house!!

Hahah it is a headache! But our fence guy will be going through it with me tomorrow. But yes, some of our fence will be their brick which is fine and saves us a bit of cash which is great haha ? Fingers crossed everything gets all organised by this week!! Cant believe how difficult this is to organise! Lol!
Our rep just emailed and handover should be next friday!! If everything goes well with SA power and our final walkthrough!

Fencing is sorted with one neighbour! And the other neighbours should be sorted by tomorrow. And they should be done this week!

Getting super excited!! ?????
Yay that's so exciting, countdown begins!!
Wahoo.........so exciting!!

Thanks guys! Drove past our house today, cleaners were inside, they were vaccumming our carpets ?? And our site supervisor was there too! Its all pretty much finishing touches and a full clean up, ready for handover next friday. We are super excited. We're all organised and ready to go! Cant wait to upload pics once our home is fully funished ?

lifetooshorttodrinkbadcoffee
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=78767&start=40
So another set back because of SA power. Apparently due to unforseen circumstances they couldnt regenerate power for the development. And even if they did, they could have made us wait another three to four weeks before they even connect our home!

We were furious! Our house has been ready for us to be move into for weeks now, so we brought matters into our own hands and complained as it was costing us money to not be in our new home as well as the fact the delay is eating into the time taken off from our fulltime jobs. We really dont want to be moving in and getting everything organised while were working.

So now they will be definitely renergising the development next thursday. And they have booked us in for an urgent connection officer to come to our home next friday. (And now they expect us to pay an additional 100 something dollars as a result which we think is ridiculous since they have delayed us for three weeks now)

Were doing an "unofficial" walkthrough next week to look through and pick up on things that havent been fixed already. Theyve booked us in for it even without power to make sure our official last pci and contract signing a smooth sailing one, and then to hopefully then give us our keys the following monday or tuesday. They have been great, and its not their fault that were not in our home. Were super glad that theyre fighting for us to get into our home, and theyre doing everything they can. I was very close to bursting out in tears lol

My partner and I are just so exhausted and frustrated, we just want to move into our home
How frustrating for you

To have your beautiful house just sitting there & not being able to move in would be so disappointing. I must say though, you're handling it really well, you said you were 'close to tears' - I would've cried lol

matalee
How frustrating for you

To have your beautiful house just sitting there & not being able to move in would be so disappointing. I must say though, you're handling it really well, you said you were 'close to tears' - I would've cried lol

Hahahaha thanks! Its been such an amazing experience, have not cried once, I have loved every part of the build and SA Power have just ruined what was meant to be the most exciting part about it all

Our team from simonds were the ones who actually encouraged us to push SA Power to get us connected asap, since they get calls from builders all the time, and from what it looks like it has worked once they have heard from the actual home owners. so they have delayed us by a couple of days rather than 3 weeks.
Oh what a nightmare

All the best with the move
How disappointing!
hopefully they get their buts into gear!
Thanks guys, fingers crossed ? were getting really impatient now lol!
Just recieved a message from my neighbour, thought it was an issue with the fence but it wasnt.

Apparently its 'nothing major' but they would like to use our water from our property? And they will organise to pay?

I have no idea why they need to use our water? Is this common for builders to take other peoples water supply? I am going to have to contact my builder to see if this even is okay lol?
cmae.19
Just recieved a message from my neighbour, thought it was an issue with the fence but it wasnt.

Apparently its 'nothing major' but they would like to use our water from our property? And they will organise to pay?

I have no idea why they need to use our water? Is this common for builders to take other peoples water supply? I am going to have to contact my builder to see if this even is okay lol?

I think it's pretty common (ditto for using power on another property) but it's uncommon for people to actually ask!
Seems strange they would need to use your water, normally a tap is one of the first things to happen on a new block of land!

Edited to say: we actually paid for our water so if they think they want to use your water because the builder is paying and not you, that would be incorrect. For our whole build we only used something like $8.11 worth of water so not a lot but it still came to us as a regular water bill. What do they need the water for?
Megera
cmae.19

I think it's pretty common (ditto for using power on another property) but it's uncommon for people to actually ask!
Seems strange they would need to use your water, normally a tap is one of the first things to happen on a new block of land!

Edited to say: we actually paid for our water so if they think they want to use your water because the builder is paying and not you, that would be incorrect. For our whole build we only used something like $8.11 worth of water so not a lot but it still came to us as a regular water bill. What do they need the water for?

They wanted to use our water for two weeks to cure their slab? Because apparently their builder said it wasnt their responsibility? I asked my site supervisor and they were wondering why they dont have access to water? As its apparently one of those things that are organised during the most early stages.

I ended up getting a message this afternoon saying that he eventually found their water access which was a relief hahaha. Thought it was super strange and felt a little uncomofortable about it, but thank goodness they have their own water access and thats all sorted!
cmae.19
Megera
cmae.19

They wanted to use our water for two weeks to cure their slab? Because apparently their builder said it wasnt their responsibility? I asked my site supervisor and they were wondering why they dont have access to water? As its apparently one of those things that are organised during the most early stages.

I ended up getting a message this afternoon saying that he eventually found their water access which was a relief hahaha. Thought it was super strange and felt a little uncomofortable about it, but thank goodness they have their own water access and thats all sorted!

Phew! Glad that's sorted! How awkward!
Water access is definitely one of the first things they put in when they start on site so it's weird the neighbour couldn't find it?

I don't think I've heard of builders water curing slabs so they are right about that part & it would be up to them to do if they wanted that to happen. Most slabs around these parts get left for varying lengths of time then it's on with the show!
Hahaha i agree! Glad that awkwardness is over. To be real honest with you, I had no idea what curing was until he told me lol!! But im surprised they have given him 2 weeks to do it, theyre building with hickinbotham and they have a super quick turn around. So I'd like to see how that all works, guess ill just have to wait and see hehe
Handover is cofirmed for next week
We just had out first part of our PCI, took us a couple hours to do. We found a few marks here and there on some of the walls, which is a small and easy fix. cant wait to get our tiler in there and get our main floors done! Also fencing has started as well! Heres the latest pics from today.

Still love your place, really like your splashback too
Related
15/02/2024
Building Inspector recommendation in South Australia?

Building A New House

Adam Baines Grad Cert Bldg Surv / Grad Dip Bldg Surv / MSAAPA Accredited Building Professional APB20210035 Builders Lic 183023 Pest Control Lic 84868 Ph 0412202336 PO…

9/08/2023
Suggest a modular home builder south of Port Macquarie

Building A New House

Well these guys are not looking good... I sent them a written enquiry last week and they have not yet replied. If they cannot respond to a simple…

31/03/2024
KDRB in Melbourne south east metro region - Suggestions for

Building A New House

Keen to hear from people in the area who have got KDRB done on whom they got the build from? Looking for recommendations. Thanks

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum