Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

How often do you visit your site?

Page 4 of 37
we go everyday (sometimes twice a day). We only live 3 blocks away from it. The builder even gave us a spare key so we can let ourselves in without jumping the security fence LOL
Wow I'm surprised how many builders won't let people into their own homes. My husband is a custom home builder and happily gives clients a key to the site. I guess there is ohs issues with that but he likes to keep people happy. We are building our own home and I visited a couple of times a week in the early stages. Now it's more likely every day or two as we get closer to completion. Hoping to be in for Christmas so I have helped out with some cleaning lately.
Communication with your Builder is essential. Just make agreements with your Builder beforehand so you know what is the right thing to do. Yes there is OH&S issues. Please understand: If you hurt yourself on the site, the Builder is 100% negligent/guilty until proven some form of innocence under the OH&S rules. I suppose you can understand why Builders might get upset when people visit after work without any supervision.
Tiling and benchtops could be placed and owners turn up and innocently bump or walk on areas that have been finished. This will cause relationships to fray.
Best thing to do is also get to know your Builder. Build a good relationship first then ask for permission etc. Don't ever comment on half finished work as this gets the Builder off side. Ask in such a way that the Builder can explain what is going on and what will happen in the future.
Telling a Builder the site is dirty will get him off side. You have to understand why rubbish builds up onsite at times. To get the cheap price, the Builder will want to get rid of rubbish when it piles up, not from time to time as Bins and rubbish removal adds to costs.
You have to be tactful how you ask and question work and conditions. If the Builder get's annoyed and is impossible to talk too. Then ring the HIA or the MBA for advice.
Building should be about relationships, unfortunately some Builders don't understand that after the transaction has been made, you have shared in a personal relationship with your client.
It's my daily routine to go every morning before work and then usually after too. But I'm nuts and I live 5 min away.

I like meeting the SS and workers and we never had any problem with him being unhappy about it. Quite opposite - he always says that it's great I popped in and will have some advice or questions for me. I guess grumpy SS would kick you out. I know from other people that some of SS treat them as pests.
Nearly every day but yes, it's frustraing when you haven't been for a few days, and when you finally go, expecting there to be some real changes and NOTHING has been done.... it's a bit of a downer !! Also, having built quite a few times, we know how important it is to keep on top of things and make sure no mistakes are being made.
We are just waiting for our final payment to be cleared to get the keys, I visit the site at least once a day and made a point of meeting the tradies sometimes even dropping them off some morning tea. Just don't get in their way and don't be a nuisance I kept my visits to a few minutes unless I had something that needed clearing up. If I went out in the afternoon I always took a broom with me it made me feel I was contributing to the house. I don't understand how someone can be expected to just walk in when it's all finished and feel like they are home...
MrsB
We are just waiting for our final payment to be cleared to get the keys, I visit the site at least once a day and made a point of meeting the tradies sometimes even dropping them off some morning tea. Just don't get in their way and don't be a nuisance I kept my visits to a few minutes unless I had something that needed clearing up. If I went out in the afternoon I always took a broom with me it made me feel I was contributing to the house. I don't understand how someone can be expected to just walk in when it's all finished and feel like they are home...

I completely agree with you. It feels good to be part of the build.
And there is so many liitle things which can be done to improve the look of the house. You won't know until tradies tell you , so it's important to meet them. I think it's nice for them as well when you prize their work.
Communication with your Builder is essential
We've signed a letter and been told in other letters that we are not allowed on site unless we are with the site supervisor. Is everyone told this and just ignore it? We live around corner from our block and drive past it everytime we leave house. Im not sure we could not go on site and have a look around but at same time i dont want to be fined or anything
We have even signed the NPH yet and we go about once or twice a week to land, so I can only imagine who often it will be when they start to build...
We visit every 1-2 weeks. Simply don't have time to check it more often. Though I live 30 minutes away from my site.
nina marie
Hi there,

We are getting closer to our housebuild commencing (fingers crossed as always of course) and I wondered what the general consensus is for visiting the site to check on progress etc? How often do you visit your sites? And do you turn up after the builders have clocked off or whilst they are there (do they get annoyed?!)?

Unfortunately we don't live within walking distance of the site, and I am about to have a baby and have no car as hubbie uses it for work - so if I want to visit I will need to get a couple of buses. Hubbie can pop in on the way to or from work, but probably not every day and possibly not always at times the builders are there.

Grateful for your insights!

Many thanks,

Nina

The good news is I will have a car in a couple of weeks, so I will be able to visit the site whenever I like now!
At present we only go there on the weekends to do work (we are on an acreage) when the house starts I will be able to go there Thursday and Fridays (my little cherub goes to the preschool just down the road from there ) and also on the weekend (once again to do work)
Our block in 30mins away from where we live though
More often then i should...

Once a week.

Life is to busy to worry about the home ALL the time!

Regards,
Michael
We try to visit every second or third day. Its only 5 mins from where we are now.
I try and make a point of going down once a week.. generally on a Sunday when no ones working.
Generally i go twice a week. Once during the middle of the week to check on progress and take pics,and then on the weekend with my wife in tow so she can check out the progress too.
We visited our home everyday and had direct contact with our supervisor nearly everyday as well. Boy he got annoyed with us as we were always on the mark when something went ary. eg wrong front door frame being put in, brickies had done half way up the frame and had to remove it all again.
After lurking in the forum for months, this will be my first post. Since settlement of the land on September, ive been visiting our land every week even though building hasnt started yet. The wait is just killing me
. Im just literally watching the grass grow
We live about an hour and a half from our land and it sort of gets annoying because the last thing we want is to travel all the way there for nothing to have happened. Fortunately, we have friends who send their kids to the school next to us so they text us with updates, if any.

At the moment, we are waiting for the banks to make our first progress payment (for slab) and we've been told there's been nothing buzzing except for the delivery of bricks. Never thought I'd be excited to see bricks! But it's still frustrating.

A part of me wants to set-up a remote webcam pointing at the land so that we can have a live view of the place — how neat would that be?
Related
15/08/2023
I often get asked if now is a good time to build

Building A New House

Well thats a relief! The whole family is sick of waiting.

2/01/2024
In this forum we often rightly criticise builders....

Building A New House

In Victoria you cannot put a caveat on arising from a domestic building contract.

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum