Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Masterton Homes - The new thread

Page 4 of 123
EmoH
I am in the same boat MrsRose.
It so damm fustrating, how long have you waited and when does your tender period run out? After so much work it is the final hurdle you would think they want to get us the final tender done and a sign contract and be onto construction.

Our tender ran out back in July. We signed off on final plans in April. We started this process in December. We have received our corrected construction plans (?version 6) and what we think is our final tender (still waiting for clarification that they're not going to increase our site costs post pegout). And once we get our drainage issues sorted out - want to charge us $1000 for 20m of plastic pipe... must be gold plated or something
and we sign off on the tender they'll organise the building contract 'asap' so we should expect it around Xmas I would think.

NathanP we're with you - thought about swapping but again the no guarantee about not ending up in the same dilemma a few months down the track....

EmoH and Vincy - I thought Sentinel charged $170 point to point for data cabling..... but it wouldn't surprise me that yet again we've been quoted/charged more than others.... although Sentinel were very helpful.
Sorry to hear about the delays Mrs Rose. Are you dealing with the Masterton in Warwick farm or regional office? You must suffered so many price rises then?

Isn't it in this order, Out of council, colouroom (electrical etc), Pegout , final plans and Final tender , then Contract. Then onto construction?

FYI: I checked my quotes. Data point is $100 and that's already abit rich.! $170 I would of told them to get stuff.

MrsRose
EmoH
I am in the same boat MrsRose.
It so damm fustrating, how long have you waited and when does your tender period run out? After so much work it is the final hurdle you would think they want to get us the final tender done and a sign contract and be onto construction.

Our tender ran out back in July. We signed off on final plans in April. We started this process in December. We have received our corrected construction plans (?version 6) and what we think is our final tender (still waiting for clarification that they're not going to increase our site costs post pegout). And once we get our drainage issues sorted out - want to charge us $1000 for 20m of plastic pipe... must be gold plated or something
and we sign off on the tender they'll organise the building contract 'asap' so we should expect it around Xmas I would think.

NathanP we're with you - thought about swapping but again the no guarantee about not ending up in the same dilemma a few months down the track....

EmoH and Vincy - I thought Sentinel charged $170 point to point for data cabling..... but it wouldn't surprise me that yet again we've been quoted/charged more than others.... although Sentinel were very helpful.
Emoh
Isn't it in this order, Out of council, colouroom (electrical etc), Pegout , final plans and Final tender , then Contract. Then onto construction?

We did Complying Development as it was "quicker" however it took them 7 weeks to actually give the paperwork to the Certifier (and 2 further weeks to approve) and our Council only takes roughly 6 weeks. So we did final plans (sign off and no more changes = April), colour room (May), approved via Complying Development (July), peg out (Aug), construction plans and now final tender (Sept).... building contract = ......? construction = ................? who knows....

Edit: Oops and I forgot to add we're going through Warwick Farm...
Sorry to hear what a rough time you are still having Mrs Rose. Hopefully you should have your contracts soon. It has been about a month between contracts and site starting for us.

Is anyone going to put a heating system in the roof for central heating. We want to put in a gas one after handover and want to know do we have to reinforce the ceiling to take the weight of the system. Masterton made it too hard to do during consrtuction.

R
Mrs Rose, so have they got you a final tender yet?
EmoH
about $30K for rendering

gidget
Hi all
Another lurker posting for the first time here. I'm still at the point of budgeting properly for this venture - appologies if this has been asked before on this thread or the old one (couldn't see the answer) but does anyone know around how much I should allow for render to the outside of the entire house (2 storey)? Just looking for a ballpark figure at this point.
Thanks!

Thanks EmoH! Suddenly bricks have a certain appeal
How about Moroka? It is like $5.5K to Moroka the whole house.

gidget
EmoH
about $30K for rendering

gidget
Hi all
Another lurker posting for the first time here. I'm still at the point of budgeting properly for this venture - appologies if this has been asked before on this thread or the old one (couldn't see the answer) but does anyone know around how much I should allow for render to the outside of the entire house (2 storey)? Just looking for a ballpark figure at this point.
Thanks!

Thanks EmoH! Suddenly bricks have a certain appeal
MrsRose - I know all this is totally worth a mental breakdown over but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I promise!

gidget - Moroka is a great idea. It's costing us around $5k to do our entire house. It might still show the line of brick underneath but it's definitely the cheaper alternative. And there is a positive for it over render and that is that as it's acrylic apparently it's more flexible and won't crack like render does.
R and R
Sorry to hear what a rough time you are still having Mrs Rose. Hopefully you should have your contracts soon. It has been about a month between contracts and site starting for us.

Is anyone going to put a heating system in the roof for central heating. We want to put in a gas one after handover and want to know do we have to reinforce the ceiling to take the weight of the system. Masterton made it too hard to do during consrtuction.

R

Eeek! Another month after we get the contract!!!! so we'll be looking late October/November start!!! I hope it can be a little faster than that!!! Our friends who are building with EB and finalised their plans at the same time as us are going to be moving in by Xmas!

EmoH, we think we have the final tender - however, I've asked for clarification if the Estimators have taken the pegout into consideration as our Preconstruction Coordinator implied that there was going to be more cost due to the block being flatter than expected and therefore less fill available... the site cost on the tender is the same as the original amount but I just want to make sure... I'd rather have it in writing....

Thanks for allowing me to vent... moan and groan... I'm sure there's gotta be a light at the end of the tunnel and not a train about to run us over!!!
This price rise if BS. We are so close to pulling out. They said to me because some houses like the chelsea have got some changes but I didn't say there was any changes to our house. They also said that they are being slugged by their suppliers.
I just got a fax to my office stating that steel has gotten cheaper again.
Rant rant rant

To get you excited and get you to a stage that you don't want to turn back and then charge you an arm and a leg.

Jim wouldn't have it any other way
Beebob

Jim wouldn't have it any other way

Can I tell you how many times we've used this quote in the last 11 months!!!!
MrsRose
Well our file is still proceeding at a snails pace. Pegout has been done but still waiting on updated tender, building contract and for contract plans to be corrected.

However, I thought I would share with everyone that on the weekend we visited people around the corner from our new place who built with Masterton and moved in back in May. We thought it might be good to see an actual home that was not a display home and get a feel for how they found the process (given that only John and Tarin have finished and the rest of us are just starting).

Overall they were happy with the finish, thought the worst thing was.... can you guess.... how slow they were to get everything done and that DiL tiles were the worlds biggest rip off... Their main words of advice were check your plans very very carefully each time you get a revision and make sure everything that you want is documented in your tender (They had to go back to Council as the wrong plans were submitted). If you've been told something is included make sure its in writing on your plans or tender its not good enough to have it in email as your SS will go by the plans/tender.

It was reassuring for us and we're back to feeling kind of hopeful that it should be worth it in the end if we ever get started!! So I thought it might be nice for others to know that Masterton can do a good job (that J&T's isn't a one off!) and we've seen it in real life.

Thanks MrsRose for sharing this positive ideas.

Today we've finalised and corrected the tender variations and requested for drawing corrections. We've been told by our CSC that they will finish and send us the final drawings asap but I'm not purely reallying on them until we get a hold of the corrected plans and tender. We're trying to get to contract signing before end of this month and if we don't make it, I just don't know whether we will proceed or not
Looks like we are all going through the same frustration. If it helps any this is the way is has happened for us.

March: $2500 paid.
April: First tender
May: Second Tender and plans
July: Second set of plans
August: Tender and contract
September: In council then tile selection and studio M latter this month.

We had to sign the contacts and pay our full deposit prior to the plans going to council.

Mrs Rose I have had several conversations with Masterton about the delays and problems we have had. They have told me several times that what we are going through is not normall and have no explanation for it. I just hope that from now on things run a bit smoother for us. As I have said in an another post we were very close to pulling the pin.I have had legal advise on the whole thing and and even they have told me that pulling out will do nothing but add more delays to our plans. If our life wasent allready turned upside down due to not knowing when we will have a roof over our head starting again would only add to it.
Maybe if they had a set of guidelines set out for all of us on how the system works and the time each process takes we would all know what we were in for from the start.
Same boat as DRAM.

$35000 worth of upgrades for $4700

umm... $4700 + $24000 (first home builders grant) = $28700.

To walk or not to walk.

Would anyone know what the build time requirement to still get stamp duty concession?

Well at least its Friday
Beebob
Well at least its Friday
Thats the quote that got me through today!
I find it so difficult to reconcile the fact that all of us are experiencing the same delays and the same problems and yet Masterton keep assuring each of us that either the delays are our fault or its just because they're busy or its normal to take this long because they have their processes... and the extra costs we just have to accept... Anyway... its the weekend
... hopefully we'll get an answer sometime soon re our 20m goldplated pipe so we can get our contract.... Bring on our beautiful houses!
MrsRose
Bring on our beautiful houses!

Beebob
Same boat as DRAM.

$35000 worth of upgrades for $4700

umm... $4700 + $24000 (first home builders grant) = $28700.

To walk or not to walk.

Would anyone know what the build time requirement to still get stamp duty concession?

Well at least its Friday

Hi Beebob,

For stamp duty concession you need to check with your solicitor because they are the ones who will submit it to OSR. Our solicitor told us that they need to apply for stamp duty concession within two months from the time we paid a 5% deposit to our land. There are certain conditions as well in our case that we need to build a house within 5 years and must live there atleast 6 months. Hope this helps!
Hey guys!!

I've updated my thread but I'm so excited that I wanted to tell you all that we got slabbed today!!! It's taken just under 11months (17 October 2008 we requested our tender) to get to this point so everyone hang in there...

ETA: Our frame is due for delivery on 18th (Friday) with work to begin on it on the Monday.
My understanding of the stamp duty concession for non-first home buyers is that you only get it if you do a house and land package (not buy a block of land and then house separately)

buildingadreamhome - awesome to see your slab... I was just saying to the wife today that i think it will be real for us that we'll actually have a new house once we have a slab down.

As for us and where we're at - we just received our 2nd set of plans which will be the set that go to council. We just have to wait for a pegout and a "nathan's assesment" (whatever that is) before we sign the building contract and it goes into council.

We have to sign by 3rd october to avoid not copping the price rise. Our sales guy assures me this will not be a problem.
Related
31/03/2024
Masterton Homes Hydraulics

Building A New House

Thanks again. I will ask Masterton if they do this.

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum