Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Split level

Page 4 of 11
jodge,
very helpful thoughts..
Hi guys,
Has anyone made any further progress on their split level build?
We got our drawings and hydraulic reports back and everythings seems to running smoothly. Will find out updated site costs and have to sign contract soon. Started a blog if anyone is interested to have a look. Link below
Mick
Hi Mick,

Yep saw that you started a blog. The sketches look really great, love how you have changed the kitchen/family/meals area.

We have given H the go ahead with the tender, but I'm getting a little frustrated.

Am interested in how much you know about the engineering of split levels?

Our slope is approx 2.5- 3m over the building platform. H has said to us to have a full split, which we don't mind, but now it seems the levels are a bit out. I thought that a half split works the land better? Hmmm maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway I too have more details on the blog!

Bel
Sounds like you're not having much luck. Our fall is about 2m front to back so a half split of about 1.5m in the middle works pretty well. We have our laundry also position just on the split too and is about 1m off the ground. We decided not to have a laundry door to save a few thousand on a landing and that side of house will hold the rain tanks so little room to pass down side of the house.
It sounds like a half split on your house would sit better on the land. I think half splits are a lot more unique too. The only problem I'm guessing is you may have to cut a bit more into block especially around alfresco and will lose a lot underhouse storage. Will be interesting to see what they come back with.
I too am having the half vs full split discussion with Huxley. H are starting to annoy me. I gave them my levels report from day one. They said a half split was perfect. I don't think they even looked at it to be honest. After paying them a deposit, they now tell me a full split would be better. I have about 1.8m fall across the building envelope.

Their sales rep does'nt seem to know anything in my opinion. I think he's a bit inexperienced. Which makes me question and double check everything. Nice guy, just a bit vague.

Each time I turn up at their head office for a meeting, I get hit with a bombshell that changes everything. I'll get there one day.

I'm starting to think there is something suss about H pushing full-splits. A full split is not a split level in my opinion. Its a 2 storey house. It must be cheaper for them or something???
You could also try Procorp. We were going to go with them but the were just a bit more than what we were actually willing to pay. We would have gone with them if it werent for a retired family member who offered to do it for us at a better price (sorry, just family and friends lol). We asked him about their price and he said it looked to be a reasonable and honest price.

They were very flexible, and were willing to work with us on our own design. It's worth giving them a call and having a chat.

http://www.procorpbuilders.net.au/

-S

Oh, I should note that we have a 3.5 meter fall on our lot as well. Our houseplan is 281m2 and they were going to charge us around $300k for what we wanted.
Bob and Mick would be interested in who your sales rep is - I'm thinking we must have the same person. Send me a pm if you like

They have said full split for us from the first meeting, but we will have massive cut and soil removal for it. My argument is doesn't the half split use the land better. In our laundry saga, just like Mick but our was a good 2m off the ground, one option they presented to us was to have the laundry in the "sub floor" area. Which says to me (and was confirmed by the sales rep, who couldn't explain why) that the first floor level is above natural ground level at the back of the house, and the house isn't following the slope of the land which was our intention in the first place. Again confirms not using the land the best way?

Hmmmm

I think maybe full splits are easier to build? Builder/Engineers out there care to comment? I think with H if you have a half split, the standard is slab garage level, then bearers and joists. Does this make it harder??? Also while I'm at it, we were told that you had to have the same number of steps between the splits. Is this right? I can't work out why, as long as things like head clearance etc are ok. I'm thinking say 7 steps up to the first level, then say 9 steps up again (or something along those lines).

D&SG was the $300k including site costs?
Sorry, I had a look around for the tender we recieved from them and couldn't find it, but I "think" that the site costs were included in that price. Don't quote me on that though lol

I'll look some more over the next couple of days and see if I've placed it somewhere odd
Bel, I dont really know the answers to your questions, sorry. I think we're lucky in that our builder is family and has the time and inclination to give us what he thinks is the best thing to do. It's not all about the profit for him.

At any rate, I've posted our footings for you to look at. the house splits down at several different area but the number of steps at each area is the same. We are going to be on piers, except for the garage, and the block slopes down towards the back from the road.

footings.jpg
oh, and here's a side elevation

east_elev.jpg
Thanks for the side elevations. Looks similar to my side elevation exept my split is closer to the middle of the house. From the elevations it looks like it is only a fall of 2m front to back of the house.
Bob. Bit strange doing a full split with a fall of 1.8m. Seems like they would have cut the land a lot for full split.
Bel. Sort of makes sense to me to do full split for 3m. If you look at the side elevation above the back of the house looks about 50cm off ground level. If the fall was an extra metre the back of the house would be 1.5m off the ground.
micks_k
Thanks for the side elevations. Looks similar to my side elevation exept my split is closer to the middle of the house. From the elevations it looks like it is only a fall of 2m front to back of the house.
Bob. Bit strange doing a full split with a fall of 1.8m. Seems like they would have cut the land a lot for full split.
Bel. Sort of makes sense to me to do full split for 3m. If you look at the side elevation above the back of the house looks about 50cm off ground level. If the fall was an extra metre the back of the house would be 1.5m off the ground.

Yea you're probably right, I forgot we actually moved the house farther back on the block. When we were going with Procorp, they were going to build it closer to the road which slopes more than where it's currently at.
Bel, when you talk about #steps and then #steps up again, do you mean:

tri-level.jpg

or

tri_level.jpg
Hey D&SG - wow thanks for all the info - had to make dinner!!! btw you plan/elevations look great!

With the examples you drew, the bottom one. We are upsloping from the road. So for us 2 story at the front, single at the back.
bel
Hey D&SG - wow thanks for all the info - had to make dinner!!! btw you plan/elevations look great!

With the examples you drew, the bottom one. We are upsloping from the road. So for us 2 story at the front, single at the back.

Thanks!

Have you looked at Montgomery Homes? I believe they specialize in the tri-level homes, but I dont know what kind of pricing they have.

http://www.montgomeryhomes.com.au/
Yep I sent them an email from their site, but never received a call as requested. Then a few weeks later got an email and flier in the mail. Their homes looked good (I got emailed floorplans which weren't on their site), but from memory pricing was higher than our budget. Also I *think* they we charging quite a large Sydney allowance - I *think* again, they are based on the Central Coast?
Ah thats too bad, I remember we walked through a couple of their display homes which were just beautiful.
bel
Bob and Mick would be interested in who your sales rep is - I'm thinking we must have the same person. Send me a pm if you like

They have said full split for us from the first meeting, but we will have massive cut and soil removal for it. My argument is doesn't the half split use the land better. In our laundry saga, just like Mick but our was a good 2m off the ground, one option they presented to us was to have the laundry in the "sub floor" area. Which says to me (and was confirmed by the sales rep, who couldn't explain why) that the first floor level is above natural ground level at the back of the house, and the house isn't following the slope of the land which was our intention in the first place. Again confirms not using the land the best way?

Hmmmm

I think maybe full splits are easier to build? Builder/Engineers out there care to comment? I think with H if you have a half split, the standard is slab garage level, then bearers and joists. Does this make it harder??? Also while I'm at it, we were told that you had to have the same number of steps between the splits. Is this right? I can't work out why, as long as things like head clearance etc are ok. I'm thinking say 7 steps up to the first level, then say 9 steps up again (or something along those lines).

D&SG was the $300k including site costs?

Hi Bel, I'll PM you re sales rep.

Well, I just got back from a meeting with Huxley and they are now advising me to go the half-split. I'm happy with that as it suits the land better. I was looking at a 2m cut for a full-split! Holy toledo! No way! I was shocked that they'd even proposed that.

Anyway, back now to designing a half-split floor plan which will differ markedly from the standard Monash. I am moving the Kitchen / Living areas up stairs to take advantage of views from the rear, and having the bed rooms on the lower level. Adding a deck to the upper floor as well.
micks_k

Hi micks_k,

Well I'm back to doing a half split now. Feel much better going that way. I would have had massive excavation works. Wasn't happy with that. I like your floor plan. Are you getting the biggest house that will fit your block? May I ask how big your block is?
Hi Bob,

Interesting you are moving the living kitchen upstairs. You must have some nice views. Water views maybe?
Our block in very narrow at just over 13m but goes back almost 70m. So we are trying to make the house as wide as possible on the block. Our plan is a few meters thinner than the Monash.
Related
10/09/2023
Laundry door placement v split level stairs

Windows & Doors

Move your linen into laundry and access laundry from your present linen space

18/07/2023
Current thinking on garage floor level with house floor

Building A New House

isn't a garage level with the rest of the house a given? pretty sure they 'came around' long time ago. if you have a flat block, the garage is usually level with the rest…

2/08/2023
Ramping Carpet Up To Bathroom Level

General Discussion

they can, it's a fairly standard solution when the slab isn't recessed. the falls need to be in the main floor, if it hasn't been done then you need to ask them to redo…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum