Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Tru Built - Sunshine Coast

Page 4 of 5
Construction day 83 (Week 41) : 26 May 2023

A full week of work which was great to see. Hardwood flooring now in everywhere except for Bedroom 2 & 3. A few imperfections (feature grade) will be filled in prior to sanding and polishing. Looking great!

Electrical and plumbing walkthroughs done on Wednesday. Plumbing install started. Plumber isn't super happy that he can't run a lot of the pipework under the main part of the house, where we have penciled in future Studio / Workshop space, but thinks it's still achievable. Upstairs bathroom waste will need a ~300mm bulkhead built (lowered ceiling) near where the Fridge recess / Pantry are. Unexpected, but doesn't seem like a major issue.

Spa bath framed in. Spa pump will need to be mounted externally to the wall (needs to be higher than the outlets), plumber is comfortable he can waterproof it. Pink marks on the wall are where structural sheeting was supposed to go on outside, but now needs to be done inside as the cladding is already up.

Ducted air-con installation commenced. Some improvement to where ducting needs to go down to the Ground floor via Bed 2 WIR / Guest Powder and via Office / Studio.

Independent Building Inspector finally able to come out, I spent a few minutes with him after he'd been there for a couple of hours, he already had a long list of small-ish things he was unhappy about. He's worked with Tru Built before and said they were historically pretty good about fixing things once identified.

Next week we should see the internal stairs get built, wall insulation get installed, and plasterboard delivered.
Can someone explain me what is the rationale for installing flooring before ceilings and painting?
alexp79
Can someone explain me what is the rationale for installing flooring before ceilings and painting?

I have the same question!

I guess the goods news is that if the floor survives everything that is coming next during construction - it will last for a long time after
kvazer
alexp79

I have the same question!

I guess the goods news is that if the floor survives everything that is coming next during construction - it will last for a long time after

My understanding is that structural timber floors like that aren't that level when they are installed, so they sanded back pretty hard before they are polished. There's already imperfections in hardwood timber so a few more just means a few more places to fill before sanding
Construction day 89 (Week 43) : 7 June 2023

Good progress over the last couple of weeks. External wall insulation installed throughout, and additional soundproof insulation in the rooms we selected (Office, Studio, Garage 3, Bed 2 / 3).

Enclose stage report from the independent building inspector received on 31 May and sent to the builder, they've begun to address the findings they agreed with. I still feel this process is poor, as the client you don't seem to have any influence on what is a material issue and what isn't, and what gets fixed and what doesn't (and when).

Internal stairs went in today. Plan is to paint the risers white.

Builder has said they're having difficulty getting tradies to install the cornices, so has offered to do square set for the same price, which I've agreed.

Plumbing mostly in now throughout. A drop ceiling is required in one part of the Kitchen due to the upstairs bathroom. Downpipes will need to go underground to avoid conflicting with our future downstairs Studio / Workshop plans.

Next week plasterboard should be going in, and Septic is due to be installed in next 1-2 weeks.

Driveway / earthworks contractor engaged for a July install. We'll get them to put in roadbase so we can do a paved driveway.
I would have thought that squareset is more difficult then cornice. If you were happy with cornice I try to keep that, it has more allowance for movement.
Ardo
I would have thought that squareset is more difficult then cornice. If you were happy with cornice I try to keep that, it has more allowance for movement.

Thanks Ardo, yes I had heard this as well, and asked the same of the builder when he called. He agreed in general, but said that it was all under warranty, so he was happy to install and ensure no issues within the warranty period (6.5 years), by which the majority of the house settling / movement would have finished. I guess we'll see!
AFALDT
Ardo

Thanks Ardo, yes I had heard this as well, and asked the same of the builder when he called. He agreed in general, but said that it was all under warranty, so he was happy to install and ensure no issues within the warranty period (6.5 years), by which the majority of the house settling / movement would have finished. I guess we'll see!

I believe that the warranty that he is referring to applies only to structural defects. I don't think that problems with cornices will fall into that category but maybe I don't know something?
[

Picked our 'modern' white hamptons (picket) fence. https://www.islandthatch.com.au/pvc-fencing/. Ours will be 1200mm high, not the 1800mm high shown.

Hi, do you have any images of the 1200mm fence would love to have the same style front fence.
Kelakegan
[

Picked our 'modern' white hamptons (picket) fence. https://www.islandthatch.com.au/pvc-fencing/. Ours will be 1200mm high, not the 1800mm high shown.

Hi, do you have any images of the 1200mm fence would love to have the same style front fence.

Hi Kelakegan, I'll post some images when we take delivery, but it won't be until we move in, currently planned for around late August. The supplier (Thatch.com) doesn't have images of the 1200, but I believe it will look like the below.
Construction day 100 (Week 46) : 28 June 2023

Good progress over the last few weeks, tradies on site almost every day. Today the septic system install commenced, the plumbers hit rock and had to call in the big guns to do some hammering which solved the problem. Septic is now in, and install will complete tomorrow. They also backfilled around the water tanks, and hope to have the downpipes connected up tomorrow.

Plasterboard is all in, including ceiling of outdoor areas. Plasters have been working the last week and a bit, mostly finished and it looked like tradies for sanding it back were there today.

Wet areas have been prep'd for tiling, walkthrough booked for Monday. Electrician was on-site again today doing the cut-out, which seemed to go pretty well.

Garage doors installed today and looking great. Front of the garage, and most of the house front has not been painted yet.

I've paid the deposit on the driveway x2, we are getting roadbase laid and bedding sand delivered (not laid), and intend to DIY pavers after hand over. ATB Haulage will be out week beginning 11 July to cut and lay the roadbase and compact it.
Construction day 108 (Week 48 ) : 10 July 2023

Lots of progress over the last couple of weeks. Tilers have been onsite since last Monday, making good progress.

Carpenters were back today to start doing the window / door architraves, and the first few cavity sliding doors were
installed.

Driveway construction for primary and secondary driveways started today (ATB Haulage), cut complete, and first loads of roadbase delivered and spread. Tomorrow should complete with compaction and second lift of roadbase. Plan is to DIY pavers closer to move in.

Pre-tile invoice sent last week and paid. Still waiting to hear back from Independent Building Inspector.
Great to see the progress mate, looking good! How good will that spa be
We were running neck and neck for a bit, but I think we might have just edged you out at the moment, just got our first coat of paint done. Have they given you a rough estimate of completion? Our guys are saying Sept (Contract completion date is Nov) but I have a feeling it will be more Oct.
Construction day 108 (Week 48 ) : 10 July 2023

Thanks dandaman21, great to hear your build is progressing! Builder's latest completion date is end-August, so I am assuming end-September.

Roadbase for the two driveways was laid and compacted today (for future Paver driveway).

k

Mick from ATB Haulage was great and was kind enough to level out the front yard and cut the batter up to the foot path.

Loving these photos! Some beautiful memories are captured here, to reflect on while using that spa!
Construction day 120 (Week 50) : 30 July 2023

Good progress the last few weeks, with tiling mostly finished, architraves / skirting / internal door installation, and pre-paint done.

Coastal Home Building Inspections (Paul) came back on Tuesday 25th July for the pre-tile inspection. Just waiting for the report to come back now so I can send through to the builder.

We've had a bit of rain but the driveway and batters are holding up well, no sign of any damage. A little pooling at the bottom of the second driveway, which we'll keep an eye on.

Kitchen cabinets have arrived (Ackerman & Barkle) and should be getting installed this week, along with internal paint starting.

Construction day 122 (Week 51) : 1 August 2023

Kitchen cabinets installed, looking sweet!

Pull out pantry.

Scullery, not 2-pac / shaker, as we had to cut some costs.

Painter has completed prep and ready for painting to start. Painter identified an issue with the colour we had chosen, saying that with the 1 coat of primer and 2 top coats, that the paint would be too thin unless we added some more tint. Looks like the builder didn't question our colour choice during selections, but now talking to the Interior Designer, she assumed that the builder would be doing at least 2 coats of primer, and preferably 3 top coats. I've let the builder know they need to question these things going forward to avoid a poor customer experience.

Meeting the builder tomorrow to go through the items raised in the pre-tile independent building inspection.

Have engaged Suncoast Building Approvals to assist with the approvals for the front yard retaining wall, which is proving complicated.
Construction day 130 (Week 52) : 11 August 2023

Almost 1 year since we broke ground. Internal painting is now mostly done, looking good.

Upstairs Rumpus / Activity.

Master bedroom.

Studio, overlooking Master balcony.

Work started on the various external balustrades and rear steps.

Have heard back from Suncoast Building Approvals on the front yard retaining wall, they want an updated Slope Stability report, so I've fired that off to Tectonic Geo. Hopefully will hear back in under 4 weeks.

Have arranged Jim's building inspections for the final walkthrough. As builder refused to deal with the prior inspector again, ack.
AFALDT

Almost 1 year since we broke ground. Internal painting is now mostly done, looking good.

Master bedroom.

Have heard back from Suncoast Building Approvals on the front yard retaining wall, they want an updated Slope Stability report, so I've fired that off to Tectonic Geo. Hopefully will hear back in under 4 weeks.

Have arranged Jim's building inspections for the final walkthrough. As builder refused to deal with the prior inspector again, ack.

Fwiw no build goes perfectly and it looks like there's been a heap of really positive outcomes and a few niggles. This kitchen cabinets look sensational. I've had a good experience with that company on some bathroom cabinets too.
sam123456
AFALDT

Master bedroom.

Fwiw no build goes perfectly and it looks like there's been a heap of really positive outcomes and a few niggles. This kitchen cabinets look sensational. I've had a good experience with that company on some bathroom cabinets too.

Thanks Sam123456, fingers crossed we can get it all done and move in soon.
Related
28/02/2024
Air-Conditioning Installers/Suppliers NSW Central Coast

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Anybody know any good and reasonably priced Air conditioning contractors/companies that could install a ducted air conditioning system in the Central Coast NSW for a small…

8/02/2024
Survey for those who built recently, building now or soon

Building A New House

https://form.jotform.com/240284569218058 Please spare a moment to fill out this survey form for a project. You stand a chance to win a digital gift voucher. Legitimate…

29/07/2023
House possibly built on spring (1960's home)

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

We purchased a 1960s property that is on timber stumps mostly, and a newer section is on concrete stumps. We had a building inspection initially and they reported some…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum