Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Simonds Express - Rathdowne - Western Melbourne

Page 30 of 31
TomCat
hey Megs, just caught up. I remember your tile problem from way back.
After all your grout sealing too (painful job)!

Way to go Simonds!
If they employed their own trades instead of contracting I reckon they'd be more productive, financially successful and respected (quality would be much easier to control). Their staff are all awesome. The trades let them down. You hear stories that all builders screw the trades on price. - but offering job security and treating as valued employees, they'd have their loyalty and respect. They'd take pride in their work - working for a respectable, quality company.

Anyway, awesome. Sorry you've been through that for so long. Oh and ain't Tecnika stoves
? I read a few ppl had said that earlier but I dismissed, now kicking myself! My old electric Chef and Westinghouse were sooooo much better. Can't wait for it to blow up so I can replace it!

BTW house and garden look fantastic

Oh no! Bit gutted to read this about the stove, we were so close to taking it out of our contract but found it difficult finding reliable reviews for another so we gave in and kept it

Oh no, I'm disappointed to hear about the ovens, too. Ours was included in our 'move in package'. I'll be waiting until it breaks so I can replace it. I'm not the best cook so it's not going to break from over use

viewtopic.php?uid=71435&f=31&t=82862&start=40
Awesome news you will be put up somewhere while its sorted
what kind of colour laminate are you thinking?

TomCat
hey Megs, just caught up. I remember your tile problem from way back.
After all your grout sealing too (painful job)!

Way to go Simonds!
If they employed their own trades instead of contracting I reckon they'd be more productive, financially successful and respected (quality would be much easier to control). Their staff are all awesome. The trades let them down. You hear stories that all builders screw the trades on price. - but offering job security and treating as valued employees, they'd have their loyalty and respect. They'd take pride in their work - working for a respectable, quality company.

Anyway, awesome. Sorry you've been through that for so long. Oh and ain't Tecnika stoves
? I read a few ppl had said that earlier but I dismissed, now kicking myself! My old electric Chef and Westinghouse were sooooo much better. Can't wait for it to blow up so I can replace it!

BTW house and garden look fantastic

Hey TC!

I agree re: trades. The guys that did our grout obviously didn't give a stuff and were super careless. They refused to do anything extra (to the point where they weren't going to move our fridge) and didn't care that we lived in this house and would have to deal with the colossal mess they made. But they also clearly didn't care about being hired back again because they've screwed up so severely I would doubt they will get called back for any other jobs (not to mention how much this is going to cost them as it's been mentioned repeatedly that they are having to pay for this). I mean, if I knew their business name I certainly would be telling people to avoid them at all costs!

haha The stoves aren't too bad, I mean it's an upgrade from what we had so I'm impressed with that & despite hearing negative reviews about their customer service I've been pretty pleased both times I've contacted them. The dishwasher is a bit of a letdown though - our dinner plates don't even really fit properly

I'm quite pleased with the front
I've got to get out and pull some weeds though
they're taking over!!

cooper229
Awesome news you will be put up somewhere while its sorted
what kind of colour laminate are you thinking?

Honestly I don't even know! Something that looks more natural? (My SIL has a kind that has really dark bits running through and I hate it).
I don't know if a lighter birch-y colour matches or more of an oak-y colour?
I'm so bad with stuff like this - one of the major reasons an express house appealed to us!

Have you seen Matalee's thread? She has a nice, natural looking one that's just been done

thats oak. birch i think is more pinkish? our colors are more of natural brown, grey and color consultant suggested that laminate

The brand we chose from simonds was perfect timber floors, I think ours was in the treadline category (sand oak, a bit more yellowy) http://ptf.com.au/product-range/laminates

Thanks guys! That gives me a good starting point! Now fingers crossed it gets approved!!

We went with Brighton Oak laminate, its a trendline too from Perfect Timber Floors, greys and slight brown- an aged oak look.

Hi
We are looking to build the Rathdowne with Simonds Express. We are very happy to go with 'a' preselected combination of interior/exterior colors & material....just that finding it very difficult to select one using the only 1 'low resolution' image on the website. Even the color of tile of 'Fawn' 'chestnut' etc look identical......other builders had boards on the wall with just a sample of each one of the materials ....isnt there any such thing with simmonds.....really keen to see some high res pics of standard products of a Rathdowne fawn if someone is willing to share. Thanks in advance
piks
Hi
We are looking to build the Rathdowne with Simonds Express. We are very happy to go with 'a' preselected combination of interior/exterior colors & material....just that finding it very difficult to select one using the only 1 'low resolution' image on the website. Even the color of tile of 'Fawn' 'chestnut' etc look identical......other builders had boards on the wall with just a sample of each one of the materials ....isnt there any such thing with simmonds.....really keen to see some high res pics of standard products of a Rathdowne fawn if someone is willing to share. Thanks in advance

Not sure if anyone has used the fawn colour scheme but the office should have actual samples, I know the Point Cook office did when we went to sign contracts. You can also look up the colours in the suppliers website to get a better idea. Have you checked to see if any of the current express homes are using fawn? Might give you a bit of an idea.
Hope that helps!

Hey megera, did your flooring end up being approved?? How's it all going?

I built with Simonds too and have the stove too that came with the package. It took us months to realise it wasn't working, we rang, they came out and found the thermometer died, they replaced it, and it's been going great.

I wanted timber floors, but my husband says tiles are more expensive and hard wearing. Hope your floors go well.

needsausername
Hey megera, did your flooring end up being approved?? How's it all going?

We haven't heard anything & we've been too busy to chase it up (I've started back at work, DD doing prep transition days, chasing a 16mo, etc).
Its on the list!

Oh dear. Where's that new floor? Want me to ring?
TomCat
Oh dear. Where's that new floor? Want me to ring?

haha! I sent a text last week or so to find out what the go was.
They're going to do it after Christmas some time. (I knew it wasn't going to be before)
Pretty slack with the communication though

yeah

Terrible

Related
6/07/2023
CUSTOM BUILDER RECOMMENDATIONS WESTERN MELBOURNE

Building A New House

Hello, we can help you please get in contact 0421019219 thank you

18/09/2023
Adhesive seals for western red cedar windows

Windows & Doors

I’m restoring all my 40yr old windows and I want to install seals around the casements. I’ve sanded back and oiled the frames with sikkens. My plan is to box up inside…

25/06/2023
Security system and cameras recommendation - Melbourne

Building A New House

It's all about wireless, self install now. The cost/benefit of wired setups for the house are no longer what they used to be. Lots of wireless options. Eufy, Arlo and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum