Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building in Aston Craigieburn

Page 30 of 32
Retaining walls I think I have been having nightmares about them and haven't even started building. That is so s..t Sam I hope it works out but if it doesn't I would be giving it to PD. and letting them fix it as to me sounds like their stuff up but with they should have picked all that up with elevation reports is my guess too. Hopefully you get it sorted tomorrow and that you don't have to pay more out of your own pocket.
Hey Sam,
Sorry about the dramas so close to handover. We had to do additional retaining walls after handover as well. My understanding is that the builder only does what is necessary to complete the build ie within a certain distance of the building envelope. The rest is up to you! I could be wrong but that's my understanding and I know others in the same boat. Good luck with it.
Sambogirl81
Feeling really annoyed right now so just going to vent a little. We are about three weeks off completing our build which to date once it hit the site has been pretty much drama free. Today been advised by our next door neighbors fencer that we need a retaining wall fair call, we do. Porter Davis after signing contract advised us that we need a retaining wall towards the front of the property went ahead and arranged and did it (charged us) We have now been told that the remaining property boundary needs a retaining wall as well. We have been told by the council that as it is on the boundary we need an engineers/surveyers report to have this wall extended!! Why oh why didn't Porter Davis pick this up.and just do it????? They have completed all the elevation reports / engineers reports so one would assume hat they would have picked this up. We have emailed the BC late this afternoon so don't have an answer so I guess we will stress over it tonight!! Thanks for listening I feel better

Hey Sam... you'll probably notice a clause on your plan somewhere that the adjoining lots are vacant at the time of PD's survey of your lot. As we have found out the way your builder cuts your block doesn't necessarily mean that the neighbour's builder is going to follow a similar suit and unfortunately your builder has no idea what will happen next door.

As a few of us have found out the financial pain continues a little while post-handover in terms of getting retaining walls and other backyard related items.

In a perfect world all the builder's would communicate with each other and level the lots in a similar manner. But then again piggies may fly.

We still don't have our right boundary fence. Loooooonnnggg story that is beyond our control.

Thought it was time to share some photos, plus I just worked out how to do it on my iPad

Hi Everyone,

Im excited to find a forum about aston. We are building with Urbanedge in stage 12. Is anyone else in the same situation or know when its expected to title?
Hi GoaMumbai,

Welcome to Aston ! Hope you find a neighbour soon

Sam
GoaMumbai
Hi Everyone,

Im excited to find a forum about aston. We are building with Urbanedge in stage 12. Is anyone else in the same situation or know when its expected to title?

Which UE home are you building?

They have some nice ones
Emptyspace
GoaMumbai
Hi Everyone,

Which UE home are you building?

They have some nice ones

Hi,
We are building the kato 45
hey guys im in the process of finding someone to do my fence, if anyone has had good experience with with a fencer please shoot a pm my way.

Cheers
d4mmo
hey guys im in the process of finding someone to do my fence, if anyone has had good experience with with a fencer please shoot a pm my way.

Cheers

Call Andy on 0434 290 920. A friend of mine is very satisfied with his job.
Well we have a start finally signed off everything today and went past the block and out temp fencing is already up so guess Simonds don't waste time by the looks of it.
Not sure if it will help anyone but we got told other day that we don't have to pay BAL anymore which was a nice surprised.
We needed a 7m retaining wall on our right side of the block but we were lucky as it went under the fixed site costs as the developer required it done.
Congrats Hsv now the excitement begins. Stalking the dirt until your house rises up from the ground. Were still yet to move in had a few issues but looks like they are sorted. Hoping for a couple of weeks PCI next Friday
Hi Neighbours,
Today we heard that Stage 9 has officially titled - yay! We are about 4-6 weeks behind schedule, but exciting nonetheless.
Hope everyone's build is going well!
We received a call from our BC and SS to confirm slab stage is completed. We went to the site and we were really happy to see the slab is poured. We went around the site and noticed they haven't put retaining walls. Isn't the retaining wall part of slab (first) stage? Has anyone had similar experience with their build?

Thanks!!
Had a confirmation from PD that retaining walls should have been completed in stage one. Now they are planning visit the site an evaluate what is been done. We are hoping to hear from them next week.
Hi Guys,

Hope everyone is doing well.

Was talking to a builder today and was told that entire Aston is now Bush Fire Levy free or in other words there is no BAL costs anymore. I think this is fantastic.

I am not building in Aston though. I am going to build in Mt Aitken and there I have to pay BAL costs which are coming to around $7000. Sounds like this is very high.

Any one would like to comment whether BAL cost is that high?

Best Regards
shoaib
Hi Guys,

Was talking to a builder today and was told that entire Aston is now Bush Fire Levy free or in other words there is no BAL costs anymore. I think this is fantastic.

I am not building in Aston though. I am going to build in Mt Aitken and there I have to pay BAL costs which are coming to around $7000. Sounds like this is very high.

Best Regards

I am sure the 4.5k that we didn't have to pay was the lowest rating so I am guessing the next one up would have been the 7k I remember reading about them somewhere and there is different BAL ratings. Do a search and I am sure you will find something about it and whole explanation of what each rating covers.
Update with us got a phone call on Friday our slab has been completed frame should go up on Thursday yay lol.
shoaib
Hi Guys,

Best Regards

BAL cost varies, so it depends on what's rating for your land.

Mt Atkin has higher site cost, that why we decided to pass. Developers covenants are expensive too. You basically can't choose anything from builder's standard range. Bricks, roof tiles, roof pitch everything was upgrade in our case.
***** WE'RE IN ******
Related
15/06/2023
Missing Building Wrap / Insulation

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hey guys building a new place through a volume builder and just wondering if i should complain to the site supervisor as we just had plasterboard installed. Looks like…

3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum