Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

How often do you visit your site?

Page 30 of 37
Generally at each site visit and when something major happens eg slab pour, frames up, roof on etc so every 2-3 weeks at the moment

Follow my build

viewtopic.php?t=83885
I've been heading down every 2-3 weeks, but build has only been going 8 weeks.
Haven't been inside since frame stage though, so just looking from the outside.
Land to title in couple of months after Christmas. It has taken quite some time to get land ready with retaining walls etc.

As such we visit once a month. Next time we go there it should be almost ready I believe. Fingers crossed..
We live probably a 40 minute drive from our block but it's only 10 minutes from my folks place so we occasionally swing by when we are down visiting them... Construction hasn't started yet and we only just got our finance approved... but we like to go and admire our patch of dirt from time to time and make sure no one is dumping anything on it

I'm sure once work starts we'll be swinging by once a week if we can to check it out.
The closer we are to completion the more i often i find myself driving out to Denham Court frim Bankstown.... since Jan ive been going every 2nd or 3rd day lol
Wonderful to read through this thread. I am starting my first house build with Simonds in Lara.

For peace of mind, I would want someone experienced to have a look at the build at different stages.

Can anyone please help me find/refer me to a good building inspector in Geelong/Lara area ?

Thanks in advance.
At least twice a week on a Wednesday and Friday, unless I am needed to guide work, in which case I am on call.
I live 600 metres away.. so drive past daily, walk / cycle past 3 - 4 times a week.
Everyday! I'm lucky because my block is a 5 min jog around the corner.
I've already gone to look at our land twice and our estate isn't even open yet. As soon as they start building I think I will be there every day! Luckily I currently live within a 3 minute drive to my block
I've been so curious about this and its been nagging me to search here! So glad to have found this thread! We visited our land every 4-6 weeks as we lived about 30mins out of the way and but we moved schools which is just 5 mins around the corner and with construction starting, I'm there atleast twice a day during the week when I can. It is pretty exciting for the kids to see all that gets done while they are at school.
We are in framing stage and this morning's visit went pretty well. The tradies let me have a wander around which was pretty incredible as I've tried to stay behind the fence for every other visit!
We live about 40 mins from our block, so we make the trip up every week at the moment (there's a lot to see with brickies on site at the moment).
Once the bricks & roof is up, and we can no longer go inside, we'll probably be every fortnight or so and peek through the windows
been only once every month or so but as i have just gone to construction i imagine my visits will be 2-3 times a week until lockup then will drop back to once a week
Daily basis is a nice idea but when your family has very full lives... dunno. After saying that, years ago we built a house & had someone steal our front door from the site (!!!) so maybe it's worth it in the end!
Whenever i can
my land registered Nov last year and every weekend i used to drive by to check out progress on my street and to make sure noone dumps crap on my lot
Our acre block of land settles next week and is a 20min drive from where we live atm. We drive out to admire the block about once a month but once construction starts we will be out once a week I think or more depending on the stages.
When we built I would visit the site twice a week minimum, with at least one visit occurring at a random, unexpected time for the builders. During construction this approach helped us catch a massive number of defects and errors before they became unfixable. I made a habit of carrying a tape measure, a copy of the detailed plans, and a notepad with me each time and I checked everything I could. Wiring issues, placement of simple things like cables, incorrect parts, you name it, all cropped up throughout. My build wasn't a smooth one though, so they needed a lot of extra hand holding so if you've got yourself a good builder and a decent crew you might be OK.

Something else I found was they left the site unlocked and wide open most nights, resulting in several instances of theft from the site. This would then delay things while replacement items were sourced. It happened a couple of times before I put my foot down about locking up.
at the moment - we are living onsite!! But we are doing a kdr, so once we are at the next stage, we'll have to find a rental somewhere.
The house is near the kids' school and kindy, so can see myself driving past lots!
I go have a look every day, Monday to Friday. Its so exciting to see the whole process happen. I think I will miss it when the build is done
would it not be wise to have set times so you have regular transparency, in addition to a few drop in visits when you are not expected to ensure it is all on track?
Related
15/08/2023
I often get asked if now is a good time to build

Building A New House

Well thats a relief! The whole family is sick of waiting.

2/01/2024
In this forum we often rightly criticise builders....

Building A New House

In Victoria you cannot put a caveat on arising from a domestic building contract.

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum