Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom Build in Warrnambool

Page 29 of 29
SileNceR
It's from Bunnings so you should be able to get the same one

Thanks mate...
How's everything going? You all settled in ?

C U S T O M. C O R A L. B R O N T E. 43
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=79581
Been working on garden bed retaining walls while we still have reasonably long evenings and warm
Weather, as well as trying to get the engineering/planning approval etc for retaining on the low side of the block. It's a slow process since barely any fencing contractors seem to even want to quote on the job
SileNceR
Been working on garden bed retaining walls while we still have reasonably long evenings and warm
Weather, as well as trying to get the engineering/planning approval etc for retaining on the low side of the block. It's a slow process since barely any fencing contractors seem to even want to quote on the job

Oh so it's not just Sydney then!! We can't get anyone to quote for anything, and if we can drag someone here, they seem to want to price themselves out of the job!

I think the problem is that because it's on both the boundary, over 1m high in sections and inside an easmement we need a build over permit from the water authority, as well as a building permit and it has to be built to engineered specs. We've got the engineering so we are half way there, as well as a "worst case scenario" quote for the wall from before the engineering came back at around $15,000
waiting to see what the answer is now they have the engineering to refer to!
MrsJM
SileNceR

Oh so it's not just Sydney then!! We can't get anyone to quote for anything, and if we can drag someone here, they seem to want to price themselves out of the job!

Chasing tradies for quotes was probably my least favourite part of our whole build.
One was a no-show to an appointment we made with them because it was windy
(he literally said that "oh, I wasn't going to come out because of the wind" it's Melbourne, it's ALWAYS windy here!)

Seems to me if you're a tradie that wants to make money in Australia all you have to do is actually go onsite and quote, since nobody seems to bother going that far.
Have just got up to date, congratulations on officially moving in! Everything looks fantastic

Just realised I had taken a bunch of progress photos and not put them up here, so despite having better internet at the new house and no excuse, I've become one of those people who posts here until handover and then disappears!!

Neighbours put up a screen to stop us being able to see into their bathroom (and thankfully it also stops them looking straight into our living areas.) Because I deliberately accounted for potential shading with our design and kept our north facing living away from the fence this extra height won't matter.

They wanted to put scoria and some extra soil at the bottom of the fenceline and we wanted to get our whole yard levelled. They didn't seem particularly interested in putting a retaining wall on their side so we decided we'd use proper retaining wall posts and sleepers to do a garden bed on our side at least.

I welded one of the C sections to a post from the existing concrete retaining wall. They have 450mm holes so I couldn't see any other way to run the wall to it. I happened to be using the metal drop saw and welder outside when the neighbours turned up with a truck for their first night in their new house. Whoops, welcome to your new life

First section done, this felt like a huge achievement (anyone who has done one will understand I think?)

It's not going to stay buried, we've got to get the soil excavated back and new top soil put down to level the yard.

Our other neighbour from over the back popped around the corner with a bobcat while we were struggling away with the clay and took a huge amount out for us saving us hours (maybe even days) so we got the next couple of sections done quick!

I've not worried too much about drainage here as the wall is not very tall. It's not hard to resolve later since a crowbar will pry the sleepers out and the soil can be pulled away.

Here I've welded a C section 50mm piece to the side of a 100mm H section so I can run another single row of 200mm high sleepers between the yard area and the shed to help sort out a drainage channel. We're still undecided what exactly we will run in there.

The wall will continue behind the shed one sleeper lower as a garden bed on one side and drainage channel on the shed side also, but that was put on hold to do the front yard as my wife hired a post hole digger to get that done.

Out the front we had to dig the first post 2.1m long about 1.2m into the ground by hand because it was between the gas and power feeds into the house. We had to adjust its location when I discovered exactly where the gas feed was (lucky I knew roughly and was being very cautious). I then used a string line to line up (approximately) two pieces of the retaining wall steel to each other to run the angle section and welded them through some holes I'd drilled in them earlier.

The other three holes were done with the post hole digger as the water main feed is way further down. Luckily we must have been far enough away from the drainage piping that you can see in the photo as we didn't hit that either.

View from the master bedroom window with the sleepers in.

It's such physically exhausting work, it's been two days and I didn't really feel up to getting back out there tonight to get stuck into the bit behind the shed again yet!!! Maybe tomorrow! I can't fit a post hole digger down there so it's a mattock, breaker bar and post hole shovel and a wheelbarrow for that job!!
SileNceR
Just realised I had taken a bunch of progress photos and not put them up here, so despite having better internet at the new house and no excuse, I've become one of those people who posts here until handover and then disappears!!

Neighbours put up a screen to stop us being able to see into their bathroom (and thankfully it also stops them looking straight into our living areas.) Because I deliberately accounted for potential shading with our design and kept our north facing living away from the fence this extra height won't matter.

They wanted to put scoria and some extra soil at the bottom of the fenceline and we wanted to get our whole yard levelled. They didn't seem particularly interested in putting a retaining wall on their side so we decided we'd use proper retaining wall posts and sleepers to do a garden bed on our side at least.

I welded one of the C sections to a post from the existing concrete retaining wall. They have 450mm holes so I couldn't see any other way to run the wall to it. I happened to be using the metal drop saw and welder outside when the neighbours turned up with a truck for their first night in their new house. Whoops, welcome to your new life

First section done, this felt like a huge achievement (anyone who has done one will understand I think?)

It's not going to stay buried, we've got to get the soil excavated back and new top soil put down to level the yard.

Our other neighbour from over the back popped around the corner with a bobcat while we were struggling away with the clay and took a huge amount out for us saving us hours (maybe even days) so we got the next couple of sections done quick!

I've not worried too much about drainage here as the wall is not very tall. It's not hard to resolve later since a crowbar will pry the sleepers out and the soil can be pulled away.

Here I've welded a C section 50mm piece to the side of a 100mm H section so I can run another single row of 200mm high sleepers between the yard area and the shed to help sort out a drainage channel. We're still undecided what exactly we will run in there.

The wall will continue behind the shed one sleeper lower as a garden bed on one side and drainage channel on the shed side also, but that was put on hold to do the front yard as my wife hired a post hole digger to get that done.

Out the front we had to dig the first post 2.1m long about 1.2m into the ground by hand because it was between the gas and power feeds into the house. We had to adjust its location when I discovered exactly where the gas feed was (lucky I knew roughly and was being very cautious). I then used a string line to line up (approximately) two pieces of the retaining wall steel to each other to run the angle section and welded them through some holes I'd drilled in them earlier.

The other three holes were done with the post hole digger as the water main feed is way further down. Luckily we must have been far enough away from the drainage piping that you can see in the photo as we didn't hit that either.

View from the master bedroom window with the sleepers in.

It's such physically exhausting work, it's been two days and I didn't really feel up to getting back out there tonight to get stuck into the bit behind the shed again yet!!! Maybe tomorrow! I can't fit a post hole digger down there so it's a mattock, breaker bar and post hole shovel and a wheelbarrow for that job!!

My FB memory from yesterday was putting our small retaining walls in (looks to be a similar height to yours but on two levels). My BIL did all the hard work but we helped with digging and stuff. Probably the hardest work we put into the landscaping! Definitely don't want to do it again any time soon!

Like none of the items are super heavy on their own but Sarah loaded 41 bags of cement which at 20kg a bag is 800kgs, then we unloaded half each when she got it home (I was still here digging while she went and got together the list of items) so it adds up to a pretty intense workout! Glad I had the ride on mower and trailer that's for sure as I had to take a few sleepers from the front yard to back to shorten them slightly etc
Related
2/10/2023
Custom build | Facade colours

Building A New House

I'd get the gutters to match your roof and pipes to match the paint - otherwise they become a feature. Nice pick with the paint colours!

30/05/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Soak wells and electrical run in happening this week! Summit has told me they will relocate the laundry plumbing after the walls are completed. I'm actually pretty happy…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum