Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Anyone building with MainVue Homes

Page 29 of 39
Yes, colorbond was standard when I signed up.

Hopefully this link will work for you. Its from the kitchen looking into the pantry. The wall on the right isn't wide enough for a cavity slider to slide back into in my opinion. On the other side of that wall is the hallway/Bed 2 so no way to increase the width further.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhke7grku6tlw54/kitchen.jpg
Ari
Yes, colorbond was standard when I signed up.

Hopefully this link will work for you. Its from the kitchen looking into the pantry. The wall on the right isn't wide enough for a cavity slider to slide back into in my opinion. On the other side of that wall is the hallway/Bed 2 so no way to increase the width further.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhke7grku6tlw54/kitchen.jpg
pic didn't work

Did you get sarking on your roof? I was shocked when they told me it was not standard....

Amalfi_536
1- Our slab needs the block to be leveled. They are only willing to level the foot print of the slab and no more. I asked if we could pay extra to have the block leveled right to the boundary and they said they couldnt do it. This means ill need to hire a bobcat once the house is done and do it my self (no biggie).

I think that's pretty standard for any builder. It's not their problem what you want to do with the rest of your land, their only concern is the house.

Amalfi_536
2- Had to pay an extra $450 to have an 86mm step down to the garage. Lucky for this forum it prompted me to ask about this. When I looked at the tender document it said level slab to garage, even though the front of my slab will be slightly raised due to the fall.

This depends on the slope of your land. We had to pay the extra for the step down too but that's fine, I'd much rather that than have a flooded house. If your house sloped the other way then you wouldn't have to pay for it - you'd be able to see this on your engineers drawings from the land purchase.

Amalfi_536
4-We liked the 750mm push pull front entrance door handle on display at WL, but this is not available for selection. They have a slightly similar one which is thin and round (not square like displayed) which is $573. Im not too keen on paying this much for something im not 100% liking. We are going to doors plus today to price up a front door and are thinking of getting the standard included one, then changing later on with the handle we are happy with.

There's HEAPS of doors to pick from, I'm sure you can find one you like? If the one from the display homes has been discontinued by the supplier there's nothing MV can do about it.

Amalfi_536
4- They are telling me they cannot put a cavity door to the butlers/kitchen doorway. Only willing to do a hinged door... Would really like a sliding door here and will be confirming this with them....

That's correct, there's nowhere to put a sliding door. We have a hinged door, it's fine.

Amalfi_536
5- Was told they cannot put the washing machine taps in the cupdoard. I wanted them hidden as they look quite ugly exposed. The best they can do is locate them at under bench height. But im worried they will stick out too far and not let the machine sit all the way under the bench... Not possible due to some standards which I will again be confirming...

Ours were put into the cupboard under the sink as standard.

Amalfi_536
6- Have seen some Amalfi's built with really ugly front down pipes on the front facade. I asked if this could be excluded and drained to the lower section of the roof but was told "No". Was assured down pipe will be tucked nicely as per drawing....
They have to be put where the drawings state. Just make sure you're happy with the drawings before you sign off on them.

Amalfi_536
7-Was told Hot water service cannot be recessed into wall.
Cant say I've ever seen one recessed before, I wouldn't have even thought to ask for it. I imagine it would be a lot of extra work for them to do that.

Amalfi_536
9- Wanted them to leave off a kitchen cupboard as i will be fitting a sliding bin myself (not wanting to pay them ~$500 to do it) but am told they are unable to leave one off and must handover a "complete" build. This is weird as they are leaving our skirting boards off for us to do timber floor boards...?

You still need the door panel even when you put the bin in there right? So you still need the panel. No big deal to just undo the hinges and put the new ones from the bin slider packet on instead.

Amalfi_536
10- Was told manhole cant be put in garage. Will be asking this question again.

That's dependent on the facade you choose. We couldn't put the manhole in our garage because there's wouldn't have been enough room for someone to stand up in that part of the roof.

Amalfi_536
11- Was told range hood height is 907mm from floor. Didnt click at the time but wrote it down. Will be double checking...

Did you write it down wrong? 907 from the CEILING sounds about right. Q

Amalfi_536
12- Was told tiles in wet spaced are not sealed and they do not offer this as an option.

That's correct, I asked about it too. No biggie, it's a ten minute job to DIY after handover.
Try again…

Yes we got sacking. I would never have a colorbond roof without it.
MrsT12
Amalfi_536
1- Our slab needs the block to be leveled. They are only willing to level the foot print of the slab and no more. I asked if we could pay extra to have the block leveled right to the boundary and they said they couldnt do it. This means ill need to hire a bobcat once the house is done and do it my self (no biggie).

I think that's pretty standard for any builder. It's not their problem what you want to do with the rest of your land, their only concern is the house.

Amalfi_536
2- Had to pay an extra $450 to have an 86mm step down to the garage. Lucky for this forum it prompted me to ask about this. When I looked at the tender document it said level slab to garage, even though the front of my slab will be slightly raised due to the fall.

This depends on the slope of your land. We had to pay the extra for the step down too but that's fine, I'd much rather that than have a flooded house. If your house sloped the other way then you wouldn't have to pay for it - you'd be able to see this on your engineers drawings from the land purchase.

Amalfi_536
4-We liked the 750mm push pull front entrance door handle on display at WL, but this is not available for selection. They have a slightly similar one which is thin and round (not square like displayed) which is $573. Im not too keen on paying this much for something im not 100% liking. We are going to doors plus today to price up a front door and are thinking of getting the standard included one, then changing later on with the handle we are happy with.

There's HEAPS of doors to pick from, I'm sure you can find one you like? If the one from the display homes has been discontinued by the supplier there's nothing MV can do about it.

Amalfi_536
4- They are telling me they cannot put a cavity door to the butlers/kitchen doorway. Only willing to do a hinged door... Would really like a sliding door here and will be confirming this with them....

That's correct, there's nowhere to put a sliding door. We have a hinged door, it's fine.

Amalfi_536
5- Was told they cannot put the washing machine taps in the cupdoard. I wanted them hidden as they look quite ugly exposed. The best they can do is locate them at under bench height. But im worried they will stick out too far and not let the machine sit all the way under the bench... Not possible due to some standards which I will again be confirming...

Ours were put into the cupboard under the sink as standard.

Amalfi_536
6- Have seen some Amalfi's built with really ugly front down pipes on the front facade. I asked if this could be excluded and drained to the lower section of the roof but was told "No". Was assured down pipe will be tucked nicely as per drawing....
They have to be put where the drawings state. Just make sure you're happy with the drawings before you sign off on them.

Amalfi_536
Cant say I've ever seen one recessed before, I wouldn't have even thought to ask for it. I imagine it would be a lot of extra work for them to do that.

Amalfi_536
9- Wanted them to leave off a kitchen cupboard as i will be fitting a sliding bin myself (not wanting to pay them ~$500 to do it) but am told they are unable to leave one off and must handover a "complete" build. This is weird as they are leaving our skirting boards off for us to do timber floor boards...?

You still need the door panel even when you put the bin in there right? So you still need the panel. No big deal to just undo the hinges and put the new ones from the bin slider packet on instead.

Amalfi_536

That's dependent on the facade you choose. We couldn't put the manhole in our garage because there's wouldn't have been enough room for someone to stand up in that part of the roof.

Amalfi_536
11- Was told range hood height is 907mm from floor. Didnt click at the time but wrote it down. Will be double checking...

Did you write it down wrong? 907 from the CEILING sounds about right. Q

Amalfi_536
12- Was told tiles in wet spaced are not sealed and they do not offer this as an option.

That's correct, I asked about it too. No biggie, it's a ten minute job to DIY after handover.

MrsT, thank you for your thoughts on this.

1- Im just worried I won't have room to level the block later on.

2- Our block cut is in the rear of the house, which made me think the stepdown would be standard.

4- Its not the actual door im referring to. Its the push pull handle. And if you look at the selection there is lucky to be two which are significantly different. Also the price they quoted me is double what I see on the shelf in the store. And it was actually one I like. The handle can't be fitted later on either as you would be stuck with a hole in the middle.
We might just go with what they have to offer.

Will have to take your word on the hinged door in the butlers. Others have said the same thing so iy can't be near as bad as I'm thinking ...

5- I had a feeling I was being brushed off about the taps in the laundry cupboard. They said some lame reading about australian standards blah blah. Will be pursuing this one...

7- I never thought of it until I read the "things you forget" thread. Might cost a but but I was jot even given that option. Again this one is not a big deal. Just sensed being brushed off again.

9- The bins we want are the ones where the door slides out with the bins. If they fit the doors then there will be ugly holes when opened. Figured it would be easy to leave a few screws off as they are leaving a whole lot more off on the skirting as per our request.

Ari
Try again…

Yes we got sacking. I would never have a colorbond roof without it.

I see what you mean about the wall. So your getting a hinge door fitted?

I thought the displayed one with no door was a shorter wall, and that if you opted for any door they would extend the wall. But it appears the "no door" displayed wall is the same length as when a door is fitted.

I asked about an upgraded sarking with insulation (anticon) and they said there where no options for sarking. Again I read about it in the "things you forget" thread.

We are paying $2500 for sarking. Does that sound about the same as what you paid?

Sounds about right for sarking.

Yes we are having a hinged door. It is hinged on the left.
Ari
Sounds about right for sarking.

Yes we are having a hinged door. It is hinged on the left.
can I ask what cavity doors you chose to the study? Are they glazed?

No they are just flush panel.
Ari
No they are just flush panel.
sorry you did mention that earlier.

We were going to select flush panel and upgrade later but I think the price they give you is actually reasonable so we are considering upgrading. But as you would know we are reaching the red area of our budget.

Yes there is a point where you just have to stop adding things isn't there
Ah, sorry I misread the bit about the door handle.

You can level your whole block before they start if you want to. If there's going to be an issue getting to the rest (i assume you're building a wide house on a narrow block?) then you can just beat them to it and they won't have to charge you for the earthworks.
Amalfi_536
Amalfi_536
1- Our slab needs the block to be leveled. They are only willing to level the foot print of the slab and no more. I asked if we could pay extra to have the block leveled right to the boundary and they said they couldn't do it. This means ill need to hire a bobcat once the house is done and do it my self (no biggie).

Pretty standard for a builder to worry about the house's footprint only, ask if MV do split level homes (PD now offer this), this would definitely reduce cut. If access is an issue later, get it done before they start, even if it means delaying the build by a few days

Amalfi_536

Story of our house! We've made peace with it and it doesn't worry us now, bear in mind our block slopes back to front so its highly unlikely that it would ever flood.

Amalfi_536
4-We liked the 750mm push pull front entrance door handle on display at WL, but this is not available for selection. They have a slightly similar one which is thin and round (not square like displayed) which is $573. I'm not too keen on paying this much for something im not 100% liking. We are going to doors plus today to price up a front door and are thinking of getting the standard included one, then changing later on with the handle we are happy with.

We got the 600mm pull handles for our pivot doors, we didn't pay anything extra as we argued that it was part of the quote when they specified t as "as displayed" http://www.gainsboroughhardware.com.au/ ... =9248PH600

Amalfi_536

Covered already.

Amalfi_536
5- Was told they cannot put the washing machine taps in the cupboard. I wanted them hidden as they look quite ugly exposed. The best they can do is locate them at under bench height. But i'm worried they will stick out too far and not let the machine sit all the way under the bench... Not possible due to some standards which I will again be confirming...

We upgraded the cupboard as displayed, so the taps went into the base cupboards under the sink.

Amalfi_536

This depends on whether you build your house right to the boundary end or not, Its on the front facade if you do, no option there.

Amalfi_536

I'd be careful not to do this as this would mean the other end of the 'cavity' would end up in your bedroom. The HWS is always installed on the blind side of the house, so space should be a constraint.

Amalfi_536

Covered already.

Amalfi_536

Covered already. Space/height constraints in garage.

Amalfi_536
11- Was told range hood height is 907mm from floor. Didn't click at the time but wrote it down. Will be double checking...

Must be from the ceiling.

Amalfi_536
[/quote] For us the only wet area not sealed was the laundry, only in case of the rare chance of flooding would sealing matter . Though sealing post handover is easy.

All the best.
Anyone still building with Mainvue or have all the houses been finished now?

We've had our tiles laid and the start of painting last week.
Ari
Anyone still building with Mainvue or have all the houses been finished now?

We've had our tiles laid and the start of painting last week.

we just got our title and have our contract appointment at the beginning of July. I'm bit disappointed in MV as I have emailed them a list of question three weeks ago and was told there where a lot of questions and it would take a week to reply... like I said that was three weeks ago.

Amalfi_536
we just got our title and have our contract appointment at the beginning of July. I'm bit disappointed in MV as I have emailed them a list of question three weeks ago and was told there where a lot of questions and it would take a week to reply... like I said that was three weeks ago.

Resend the email. In my experience they tend to forget unless they answer straight away.
Ari
Amalfi_536

Resend the email. In my experience they tend to forget unless they answer straight away.

Every time I ask I get " as there are quite a lot of questions, it will take me a while to get back to you."

They did the same thing before the tender appointment. Waited til last minute, where I was even asking them at the actual appointment. They didn't even book me in for am electrical appointment, and just kinda sussed out what I had in mind for electrical changes. Then they told me to finalise everything electrical at the contract appointment.

I already told him if I do not have sufficient time to review his response before the contract appointment, then I will be delaying it....

We didn't have an elec appt either. I just did an electrical drawing myself and gave it to the girl at my color appt, and when we went to tender the guy made a couple of suggestions. It's not very hard so didn't think it was a big deal.

Ari that's great! Have you started a thread yet?
MrsT12
We didn't have an elec appt either. I just did an electrical drawing myself and gave it to the girl at my color appt, and when we went to tender the guy made a couple of suggestions. It's not very hard so didn't think it was a big deal.

Ari that's great! Have you started a thread yet?

I did the same. I just handed them a drawing at tender and then the tender presenter redrew it. Half way through the contract appointment I was offered an electrical appointment.
Great to see my scathing survey answers have got them to fix their admin process. lol

No I didn't start a thread. It feels a little late now
The build has been going pretty smoothly. They needed to fix a few things after each independent inspection but nothing *too* major.

This is the spread sheet I have made with all my pricing and questions. It also has the responses to my questions.

It has been 3 weeks with no response from them. I'm calling them tomorrow to ask when I can expect a reply. I know it's a lot, but I want to be clear about everything before I sign the contract...

Related
9/12/2023
Anyone building with Zac Homes?

Building A New House

Wish you all the best. Once you signed the contract, they will find millions excuses to charge you. And have seen their sites unfinished for a long time.

23/04/2024
Omaxe homes - Melbourne - anyone built with them?

Building A New House

I haven’t. But have a Lowe Design home. Not only did I find Matt Lowe patronising and a bully, but the home is NOT TO CODE. I have water coming through the bricks…

15/04/2024
AllCastle Homes has anyone built in 2023

Building A New House

Hi we are looking to talk to people who have built with them recently. We have signed mid range built contract but identified that a lot of things are not included.…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum