Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom Build in Warrnambool

Page 28 of 29
Hold up was the out of square slab, the shed building contractors went on to other jobs and the fix wasn't confirmed until Monday at which point they had work booked up until at least Thursday.

All going well that means they will be onsite tomorrow and a team of four should get it done within one day.

Then the electricians have to come back, put up a PowerPoint, a light, and a 3 phase sub board and add a breaker to the house meterbox, then the surveyor has to check that work for compliance and issue a further certificate just for the shed itself and we are golden.

We have the cheque now for the final payment and handover will be Friday as planned for the house.

We will be walking through tonight; Sarah has next week off work so anything we find that needs resolving will either be done by Friday, or they will have to come in next week while she is off work.

What a difference a day can make!

Four man team. This was just after midday.

Tonight after work. The house hides the shed relatively well, as planned.

Whirly bird installed at the highest point of the roof per my request.

Shed isn't even visible from the lower position I've been using for my time lapse!

I'm hoping to build a study of sorts off the back side of the shed, sometime down the track.

The yard somehow actually seems bigger now than before the shed was started. Don't ask me how that works.

The space inside is pretty big!

Made more obvious when you realise that little door is a standard size door...

And that you could fit approximately 9 Subaru Liberties inside.

Whirly bird from the rear side.

Shed from the bottom of the road. I doubt you'll see it at all once the lower blocks have houses on them.
So tomorrow is the big day hey...!!! I can't believe I was so in awe of those renders of your place and now you're about to get keys to the real thing! Congratulations! Hope all goes well tomorroe

C U S T O M. C O R A L. B R O N T E. 43
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=79581
Yeah tomorrow is the day, for the house at least. Shed won't be until early next week some time I'd say because the sparkies still need to install sub board, as well as our one powerpoint and one light.
Wow, your shed looks great!! Nice and big, I'll have a little tiny baby compared to yours
hopefully our shed is up soon too.

Glad your back yard seems bigger, do you plan to do anything with your yard or just turf it for the kids?

Today is the big day!! Finally at the end of the road, glad you made it here in one piece.

GJ Gardner Modified Coolum 277
viewtopic.php?t=83643
Turf is the plan, but we are going to have to put some timber sleeper retaining walls in - one between shed and north boundary just to help sort out drainage; we might carry this along to the concrete sleeper wall as a 500mm wide garden bed - that would then allow us to completely level the yard out.

We'll also need a couple of stepped garden beds at the front top corner as it's a reasonably deep cut there, this needs to be done especially before autumn/winter when the rain starts in earnest as we don't want any of it to wash down toward the house. I see lots of trips to the local hardware and timber supplies stores in our future!

We also need to sort out some deciduous bushes/trees for in front of the "front" windows of the house. I always knew we would have to, as they face almost due west and the setting sun super-heats the bedrooms when the blinds are open. This will be amazing in winter, but we need some greenery to shade them through the warmer months. At the moment, closing the blinds makes an instant change to this (because they're a light colour, they don't take on much heat from the sun)
SileNceR
I see lots of trips to the local hardware and timber supplies stores in our future!

For now until eternity

Whoops, I'm that guy who gets a move in date and then disappears!

Been flat out moving stuff but it's still over 30 degrees at 11.30 at night so I'm resting - I work until 5.30/6pm then flat out moving the sheds until I run out of light.

A mate commented on my shed photos on facebook that I've built a shed with a view... I guess I have.

We hired a truck to pick up our furniture from Geelong (200kms away) - we got a new couch, dining setting, tv unit and coffee table, as well as king bed and tallboy/bedside tables all from Focus On Furniture.

King bed. We have a Koala mattress that arrived a couple of weeks ago and we'd been sleeping on the floor of the old house on it. It seems pretty good.

Stools are from Kmart. Bargain at $25 each and matte black instead of gloss so they match the door frames and pendants pretty well. Excuse the mess, I think this was the first night.

2700 kitchen table with 10 chairs. It'll be moved over a bit once we've finished moving boxes etc around.

Hall table from Dare Gallery.

Wall mounted my Jamo splits... and have been fighting with my PS4 trying to get it to output anything other than stereo sound. No dice so I guess I've got to go back to my PS3 for bluray and stick to my Apple TV 3 for Netflix and Stan in surround sound.

There's a pretty big lip on the garage but that doesn't stop the falcon, lowered or not. Here it's beached on the gearbox or catalytic converter....

Couldn't let the beer get warm while moving the fridge!

Existing TV cabinet moved into the theatre room, it finally fits in with the decor.

Eating lunch at the kitchen bench and soaking in the view.
A few more photos I left out of the last post. Our NBN got enabled on Monday but our router never showed up. Track and trace shows it's sitting at the post office so I'd say they tried to deliver to our new address and not our old address as we never got a notice to collect it. Thankfully it had tracking so we can get it tomorrow. The old DSL router I have can be configured for Ethernet WAN so I've used that in the interim and it's doing some odd things. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the new one up and running. We speedtest at 96mbps but as soon as we connect the router we're limited to 19mbps throughput (max of DSL2)

Couch is Enterprise from Focus On
Coffee Table and TV unit are Alice tassie oak also from Focus On.

Nice to be able to fit two cars in the garage at once again... well, it was - but we needed to move more boxes aaaand now there's only room for the car with the leaky roof...

Moved half of one of the sheds now, about 5 trailer loads in. At least the shed seems to be swallowing it up pretty well, it'll be better once I build some taller shelves to take advantage of the extra height.
Bit of action today onsite, plumbers back yesterday to flue the rangehood to outside, back today doing stormwater to shed (builder hadn't allowed for it but is doing it at his cost because he's a good bloke, how good is that?)

Electrician replacing a PAR38 globe and one of our LED floodlights that wasn't working. I have asked Sarah to see if he can swap one of the light switches from the left to right of the wall plate as the way they currently are doesn't make much sense.

Concreter out to quote on retaining wall, paths and driveway/pads for shed + garage.
All busy busy at your place!!

Your place looks awesome furnished!! Love everything together, the feature batten wall looks divine!!

Enjoy your gorgeous new home

GJ Gardner Modified Coolum 277
viewtopic.php?t=83643
Congratulations on moving in!! Fantastic news!! Love what you have done with the place so far.... Looking forward to more pics. Ps the shed is amaaaaazing

Wow. You have been busy. Everything is looking fantastic. So happy for you that you are settling g into you lovely home.

Uploading here is much different now, using the firehose that is NBN FTTP - we speedtest at 96 mbit!

Fence on the high side has been done, I asked the guy to do a fence between our meterbox and NBN conduit to match which has saved me a heap of stuffing about.

Gives us a better feel for our yard too

STILL haven't finished moving everything from the old house. Moved trampoline, outdoor table, BBQ, chairs and some other stuff tonight. Just the cubby house and three motors left to go now.... oh and the ride on mower and mower trailer. Light at the end of the tunnel stuff!

We get a great view in the evening,

As well as the sunrise in the mornings.

The kids had been enjoying the step in the lounge, but today...

...something new arrived...

They're sooo good. Well worth the wait!
Aww aren't they gorgeous sitting there on the step! The lounge looks great! That's a comfy one too. We have sat in it many times. Don't be too hard on yourself about moving and unpacking. It's a huge process. And you have plenty of time! We are almost 2 months post handover and we still have random boxes of stuff without a home!

The timeframe is more about getting the stuff gone from the rental, we've got to hand back the keys by the 22nd. I'm glad we ended up with that long up our sleeve to be honest!

Letterbox installed with temporary street number as our big one is in back order.

Keys went back for the rental so we can finally start settling in here.
Nice letterbox... I am after something similar
It's from Bunnings so you should be able to get the same one
Related
2/10/2023
Custom build | Facade colours

Building A New House

I'd get the gutters to match your roof and pipes to match the paint - otherwise they become a feature. Nice pick with the paint colours!

30/05/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Soak wells and electrical run in happening this week! Summit has told me they will relocate the laundry plumbing after the walls are completed. I'm actually pretty happy…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum