Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Masterton Homes

Page 27 of 30
Not sure if they are. We are getting a fan/light combo for the toilet but will be put in after handover.
EmoH
Thanks..and were they ducted?
Did anybody duct their WC (toilet) ?
EmoH
Thanks..and were they ducted?
Did anybody duct their WC (toilet) ?

Nope. No shower in there so figured no need. I really don't understand why there is a fan in there to begin with?? Noxious fumes
and no window to get the smell out?
Hi Dram,

We have just signed off on our plans and have put in the basix sheet and we have chosen dark tiles, dark bricks and light fascia.

I will let you know how we go as soon as i know (I'm a bit worried about extra costs but what's the point in building a house and not having look the way you want?)
buildingadreamhome
DRAM - We originally had a light grey colorbond roof and dark grey Moroka colours. We have a lot of north & west windows so we failed our NaThers and had to tint our windows or put in solid wood flooring so we went with the tinted windows. We then had to change to a dark roof because of council regs but lucky enough we passed both NaThers and Basix. So no guarantees that it will work for you as they have to assess how many sqms of windows, sqm of roof, orientation etc you have but you might be lucky and my situation proves it can be done!

Hope I've managed to help!!

Thanks BADH! Ours is facing north and I'm still in the process of learning the BASIX so we have no ideas yet on how it would work and affect us. How much did you pay for tinting your windows? if you don't mind me asking.

EMOH - Sharing the 94A development contribution levy is probably one of the helpful things I've heard here and I guess we have to be ready for that. Now, I'm thinking of sticking on stardard inclusions since we're running low on budget.

Bexi - Hope everything will go smoothly with your BASIX compliance and we're looking forward to see some good results.

Cheers and good luck to all of us!
DRAM
buildingadreamhome
DRAM - We originally had a light grey colorbond roof and dark grey Moroka colours. We have a lot of north & west windows so we failed our NaThers and had to tint our windows or put in solid wood flooring so we went with the tinted windows. We then had to change to a dark roof because of council regs but lucky enough we passed both NaThers and Basix. So no guarantees that it will work for you as they have to assess how many sqms of windows, sqm of roof, orientation etc you have but you might be lucky and my situation proves it can be done!

Hope I've managed to help!!

Thanks BADH! Ours is facing north and I'm still in the process of learning the BASIX so we have no ideas yet on how it would work and affect us. How much did you pay for tinting your windows? if you don't mind me asking.

EMOH - Sharing the 94A development contribution levy is probably one of the helpful things I've heard here and I guess we have to be ready for that. Now, I'm thinking of sticking on stardard inclusions since we're running low on budget.

Bexi - Hope everything will go smoothly with your BASIX compliance and we're looking forward to see some good results.

Cheers and good luck to all of us!

Hi Dram. I think our windows were around $2300 for tinting. That includes three sets of sliding stacker doors and 5 louvre windows as well as all the other normal windows. We also got to choose a colour as they have a slight tinge to them. We went with grey and could also choose green, bronze and some other colour that I can't remember. They actually consider it toned glazing not tinted.
EmoH
Certainly adds up, another hidden charge is the 94A development contribution levy impose by council as a condition for the approval. It is 1% of the whole tender. so another 3k to add and pay up once you come out of council.

FYI. Not all Councils charge this - some only charge developers ie people building multiple dwellings rather than individuals. We're lucky that ours doesn't charge it. Sorry for those who have pay it
DRAM - yes we got an Anticon Blanket. It was $2695.

94A Levy - if you do have to pay this when do you find out?

Thanks
buildingadreamhome

Thanks

Don't know when its due - I would have thought you'd find out at the same time as development approval. We were able to call our Council's Planning & Development Section to find out (as we're going through a PCA). We're exempt because its a knockdown/rebuild and we're just replacing the original dwelling with another.
MrsRose
buildingadreamhome

Thanks

Don't know when its due - I would have thought you'd find out at the same time as development approval. We were able to call our Council's Planning & Development Section to find out (as we're going through a PCA). We're exempt because its a knockdown/rebuild and we're just replacing the original dwelling with another.

Thanks MrsR - I would say since we are KDRB then the same would apply to us to. Might call the council tomorrow to check just in case.
Teddy Bär
My experience with the Goulburn office is something that I will be taking up with their National Manager and is the reason we are not building with Masterton.

We were a couple of changes away from putting down the deposit and we had advised them of such, Goulburn went silent on us many months ago. That is, they never replied to the e-mails and as you might have guessed followed up why we did not chase them up.

It must be great to have so much business that you can choose who you want as a client.

We too had issues with the Goulburn office, we would have signed with them ut their lack of getting back to us and us chasing them made us reconsider.. their customer service was awful.. so glad to know that since deciding to go with another builder except for the paperwork side of things takign so long we are very happy that it is finally on the way to have some dirt moved on the block.
If you need to pay 94A levy it will be one of the conditions
on the council approval letter. A bribe cleverly disguised

MrsRose
buildingadreamhome

Thanks

EmoH
A bribe cleverly disguised

Does sound a bit odd doesn't it EmoH. Particularly as we had to sign a document saying we hadn't "made any contributions" to council in relation to our application (ie, bribes).

This is from the Bankstown Council website. Looks like we'll be hit by the levy:

Section 94A Contributions Plan 2009

New development creates a need for increased public amenities and services. This need may relate to extra population, or changes associated with changing characteristics of the population as a result of development.

Section 94A of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act enables Councils to impose a levy on new development to help fund the cost of providing new public infrastructure and services. The levy that is provided for by the legislation must be authorised by a development contributions plan prepared by Council. Bankstown Council has prepared a document entitled "Bankstown City Council Section 94A Development Contributions Plan 2009" which authorises that a condition of consent be imposed on applications for development consent and complying development certificates requiring payment of the levy. The amount of the levy is determined by the Minster for Planning and is generally 1% of the cost of developments above $200,000. The Section 94A plan also identifies the projects that will be funded by the levy. The Plan applies to development applications and complying development lodged on or after June 8th 2009. Councils existing Section 94 Contributions Plans will not apply to new applications lodged after 8 June 2009.
buildingadreamhome

Thanks

Thanks BADH! I've sent my Basix checklist today to my CSC and asked him about the roof sarking and other stuff. He said we don't need a roof sarking since they have included a ceiling insulation R3.5 as part of the mansion package. He told me that compact flourescent lighting maybe required if needed but I did not nominate any since we haven't got the drawing plans yet and no idea where to put them.

I'm concern about our stenciled concrete driveway, masterton is charging us $9,584. Is this reasonable for a two car garage? I've been reading other threads here at Home1 regarding concrete driveways quotation and they're a lot cheaper but not sure if there are still any hidden cost on top of it. Speaking of hidden charges, anything else that we need to be aware of aside from 94a levy? Basix upgrades maybe? Ducted A/C upgrades? Anymore surprises?

Cheers!
Has anyone heard from John and Tarin? I wonder how they're going in their new house.
Our first set of drawings have come in.
HI everyone, this has been a great thread and has given me a lot of information. i am a first home builder and owner, and will be building the chelsea elite from masterton. Unfortuntly i am on the new tender of 90 days and signed up in mid june. My plans have not even been to council and i only have 4 weeks left until it runs out. The new time frame is ridiculus, they have continued to make mistakes and forgot to draw things on my plans. What i am more concerned about is, i am hoping to get the full grant for FHOB, will masterton sign and prepare a building contact so i will recieve the full grant.
Is anyone else on this 90 day tender, that can shed some light. Also very angry my home consultan has decided to take a holiday and didnt pass my file on to anyone, so no one can even chase my plans to hurry them up. I am very excited for building i just wish their wouldnt be so many complicayions, and im only at the begining stage. If i miss out on the $7000 it will been i will have to also pay mortgage insurance as that money made my deposit of 20% and then ill have to find an extra 7000 from somewhere. Sorry just needed to vent, getting so frustrated.
im on the 90 day one too. However I was looking over my stuff yesterday and this is what i found in my tender

Administrative fees / charges

“As agreed by the sales manager provide a 100 day tender period from the 30-06-09 with an expiry date of 8-10-09 in lieu of the standard 90 day tender period”

Im not sure whether that becomes a 190 day tender or just 100 (as indicated by dates)

My consultant said that we will sign the contract in time. Even if we have to work around it somehow.

Does that help?
Beebob
Our first set of drawings have come in.

Congrats Beebob!!
How are they? Any mistakes?
Nathanp, I would be pretty pi$$ed too. We paid our deposit in march also and we have been in council for about 8 weeks now. I thought it took a long time for us to get to council! but you still not in council thats a joke!

Have you done your studio m and electrials yet?
Hi kkat
No not yet, they did send us a letter today regarding our booking for studio m but after my conversation with them this afternoon I really have had enough. I have spoken to builders, councilers, soliciters and other project home owners who have all told me the same thing. I am being taken for a ride and to not be in council after six months is a joke, allmost unheard of. When i passed this on to Masterton today they agreed that six months was way over the mark but still could not explain why. To be told I need to sign a contract because I am runing out of time due to there stuff ups even though I have had the tender for two days was a joke. I have now handed all my paper work including emails, teder, and so on to a legal firm who can handle them from now on. To have that lady tell me today that it doesent bother her if I dont come in and sign because she has enouigh work was the last straw for me.
What am I supose to do.
What does the add say "Jim wouldnt have it any other way"
Related
31/03/2024
Masterton Homes Hydraulics

Building A New House

Thanks again. I will ask Masterton if they do this.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum