Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building Bayside : Our Glendale 45

Page 26 of 32
Spent the weekend moving soil and leveling our nature strip before applying heaps of wettasoil and seed and feed grass seed, as well as cutting a whole lot of turf from areas we're not going to have grass later on.

What a bugger of a job, and I'm not thrilled with how it looks, but if I can get the grass to germinate and grow, I'll top dress it whenever we get some garden fill in when we're landscaping.

The driveway guys were back today laying the brick edging for the asphalt driveway, and it's looking rather good!

Brick edging is complete, the curves look amazing, and the mortar really finished it off beautifully.

Crushed rock tomorrow, and with any luck asphalt on Tuesday or Wednesday

Drew01
Brick edging is complete, the curves look amazing, and the mortar really finished it off beautifully.

Sent

from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Hi drew
Is this cheaper or dearer than concrete driveway?

And asphalt is black won't be it super hot during summer time?

Thanks
MyFirst
Drew01

Sent

from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Hi drew
Is this cheaper or dearer than concrete driveway?

And asphalt is black won't be it super hot during summer time?

Thanks

Also noticed your driveway is huge.
Is your driveway exactly as per your plan drawings?
Hey MyFirst - asphalt was significantly more cost effective than exposed aggregate, and doesn't require resealing every couple of years to maintain its appearance. That's the biggest gotcha that no one is ever told with exposed aggregate, that it requires constant maintenance.

Not sure what you mean about the driveway on our plans. We've engaged a contractor directly to do the work for us, the plans that Metricon drew up only included one retaining wall, and didn't facilitate access into our garage even though it's 700mm above ground level - apparently access into a garage isn't a requirement for handover?

M's quote for just being able to drive into the garage was more than the entire driveway WITH brick edging using the contractor we've engaged. We've used him in the past, and his workmanship is impeccable - he treats every driveway like it's at his own home, only does one job at a time, and employs his best mate, son, and his sons mate

Drew01
Hey MyFirst - asphalt was significantly more cost effective than exposed aggregate, and doesn't require resealing every couple of years to maintain its appearance. That's the biggest gotcha that no one is ever told with exposed aggregate, that it requires constant maintenance.

Not sure what you mean about the driveway on our plans. We've engaged a contractor directly to do the work for us, the plans that Metricon drew up only included one retaining wall, and didn't facilitate access into our garage even though it's 700mm above ground level - apparently access into a garage isn't a requirement for handover?

M's quote for just being able to drive into the garage was more than the entire driveway WITH brick edging using the contractor we've engaged. We've used him in the past, and his workmanship is impeccable - he treats every driveway like it's at his own home, only does one job at a time, and employs his best mate, son, and his sons mate

Sorry, I meant does your driveway needs to be exactly as what was drawn on your plan by metricon.

In my case, I'm doing my driveway post build. I always wonder if my driveway has to be exactly as what was drawn on plan or could I be creative when i engage my driveway contractor.

Probably is a question I need to check with my council.
Metricon didn't draw a driveway on our plans

Rock was rolled on Thursday and is currently drying - looks amazing!

Started backfilling behind one of our retaining walls today.

We're lining it with a double layer of weed mat, then filling it with all the broken concrete we've dug up from around the yard...

After it's nearly at the top of the 50mm fence plinth, we'll top it off with river pebbles or flat rocks so it looks nicer, and blends from the front of that side of the drive which will have agaves and ground succulents planted in pebbles

And yes, the wall is straight, it's the illusion of a photo with the stepped sleepers

Drew01
Rock was rolled on Thursday and is currently drying - looks amazing!

Looks really good !

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t
Exterior lights are installed...

Asphalt driveways are being laid tomorrow!

Drew01

Looks awesome drew

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Sneak peak of the side of the house

looks fantastic! how does this compare to colored brushed concrete pricewise ?
ligongl
It's roughly half the price, and requires no maintenance, and if it did crack, it can be repaired...

Drew01
ligongl
It's roughly half the price, and requires no maintenance, and if it did crack, it can be repaired...

Looks awesome!

The driveways were finished today!

We reckon it looks epic!!!!

Now we can finally wash the dust off our garage door... LoL

Now to start the landscaping...

We started seriously considering a 12m container pool tonight also...

Looks great!

Looking good!
Looks amazing

Related
8/11/2023
Our house was beautiful until Distinctive Homes destroyed ou

General Discussion

of course there are legal avenues. You've already mentioned it. Sue them. I find it odd that lawyers wouldnt be willing to take on the case, given CCT evidence and…

22/01/2024
Builder connecting our new toilet for his trades

Bathrooms and Laundry

"Losers" "humanity" "off time" "your" "top notch" "love symbol" Sounds like ponzo is done using other people's toilets

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum