Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom Build in Warrnambool

Page 25 of 29
I look forward to photos then!

C U S T O M. C O R A L. B R O N T E. 43
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=79581
Apologies in advance for the photo dump, I couldn't find any one shot I was super happy with (the is the problem with having to take photos through glass!)

Some of the flooring is down and looking good!

Also the downpipes have been painted. I forgot to check to see if the meterbox has been done yet.

Neighbour over the back has poured his shed slab, it takes some of the impact away from the size of mine. It's probably lucky we wanted a shed here and were building our own, or we would have ended up with his in our "view" anyway haha.

Our handover date is currently estimated for 3rd of Feb, with a walkthrough two weeks prior. We're thinking we'll hold off giving notice on our rental until the walkthrough in case there are any other holdups between now and then. We don't mind having a week or two overlap between handover and having to be out of the rental since we have so much stuff to move.

With any luck the shed will be on-site and built sometime in the next week or two and the builders will then give us access to that so at least we can spend a few weekends moving some bulkier non-valuable items in.
It's looking amazing! Love your flooring choice. 3rd of feb will come around fast!

We certainly hope so. I think I might have mentioned it before but every day we find something about our rental that annoys us that the new house will totally resolve. Especially storage and bench space in the kitchen!!
I've just caught up with your beautiful build. Really really love the grey/stone colour scheme you've picked. Can I ask, do you know if your wetroom laminate benchtops were a colour called "White Valencia"?
tdk14
I've just caught up with your beautiful build. Really really love the grey/stone colour scheme you've picked. Can I ask, do you know if your wetroom laminate benchtops were a colour called "White Valencia"?

They're WilsonArt White Carrara
Just took a mate past the house to show him how the shed-to-house driveway was going to work, and discovered the flooring has been finished!

The laundry looks awesome!

Also the quad between the expansion joints in the bricks has been done:

Wow, your flooring choices is stunning, I love dark wood, a timeless classic. I would have loved a dark wood look tile for our main flooring choice but feared it would clash too much with our feature timber wall that we will stain in a dark colour.

Your down pipes look great!

Not long now

GJ Gardner Modified Coolum 277
viewtopic.php?t=83643
We actually went with the darker colour more for the thermal heat gain (this product will transfer more heat from direct sunlight to the slab below than a tile would have) than for aesthetic reasons; but super happy with how it matches all our other selections too.
Rained a fair bit today and was really humid, so wasn't sure what to expect when I dropped past site this evening. Much to my pleasant surprise, the carpeting has started:

Most of the rooms have smoothedge and underlay down already, as well as carpet in ready to be laid. This is the front kids bedroom closest to the theatre.

The front one closest to the garage.

The theatre room - I hope they realise there's an LED strip underneath here!

Master bedroom, just the smoothedge in here, underlay not down yet.

Walk-in robe.

Kids bedroom at the rear of the house.

Also edge detail on the step into the garage. Unsure what they're actually going to do with the exposed timber edge here though.
Wow carpet over Xmas!! That's great to see! I really hope they know about your LED lights.... Do you think you should leave a note? If there's one thing I've learned it is not to expect or assume anything lol. I got very good at leaving little notes!

I can't get in to leave a note so guess I don't have that option. If I could get in I'd probably just switch the LED on and leave it on so they can see it lol
Good news, by the time we dropped by to make sure he was aware of the LED strip, the carpet guy had worked it out for himself. He was a bit shattered as it didn't sound like he even knew about the step until he got onsite. We bought him a six pack of beer to ease his pain

Wow. It looks fantastic. Thank goodness he worked it out.

Awesome news! Can't wait to see it in the dark!

Only just remembered that I had some photos I took last week (albeit terrible quality as there was so much glare while I was trying to take them!!

I've got this week off as the two youngest kids' daycare is shut until the start of next week. We hung out for an hour at the playground at our estate. It really is a great place on a nice day like today was - 23-25 degrees, gentle cooling breeze. We were up there again a bit later and the wind had some real velocity to it - hopefully that's the sort of breeze that will come through when we have a few hot days and get a cool change - it'd sure help cool the house off without having to run the AC!

While we were there, a van pulled up - I drove past as we were leaving and could see blinds etc in the back so it was the guy installing our blinds. Went back again at the end of the day for a look and here you go:

I couldn't get in again, and the double glazing sure makes it hard work to take photos through!

This one is the best I could shield the glass around the camera from reflection - the issue is you can't shield the second pane of glass so you still end up with reflections sneaking in!

As I'd seen on other builds the blinds for the doors are above the door, where the window ones are inside the frames. This also means the two north facing doors haven't had their blinds installed yet as the architraves haven't been painted and the blinds appear to get mounted to the architrave.

The painters still need to come back to do a number of pre-identified touch-ups, paint the meterbox and the ceiling of the portico.

The shed guys still haven't turned up yet. I was kinda hoping to be around to watch at least the frame stage take shape! I've got Monday off too so with any luck they will turn up tomorrow or Monday?
Nothing today
got my hopes up for NBN pre-wire (we are in an FTTP estate so unlike almost all of our town we are one of about 36 currently able to get proper original spec NBN fibre!) because there was a comms company ute in the street out front but the bloke only did next door... which is our builder as well, and started about 6 weeks after our house. What's up with that?!?

I'd actually emailed our site supervisor earlier in the day to ask when it would be done as I need to give our ISP a 2 week heads up so it can be installed / activated as close as possible to our move date (need to keep the kids out of our way when we move somehow!!) and he said the Comms guys were still on leave. He didn't respond when I advised I'd driven past (after emailing him) and spotted them onsite next door!

Also haven't been able to get a response back about when the shed is being done. A bit miffed about that but they're probably on leave (just like me) and entitled to not respond if they choose to (although I've still been chasing up ETAs for cars for my customers etc while away!)
Nothing more today either, as best I could tell.

Frustrated nobody is getting back to me! Can't get a start date for the shed as the shed guy won't get back to me and can't find out when the NBN pre wire will be done despite next doors being done. Also still a number of things needing paint and a painter was next door all day but nothing done on our house. I know it's probably nothing but it almost feels like their build has been put on the front burner and we've been put on the back burner!

neighbour behind us levelled out next to my shed (so our boundary is basically level, as he has to put a retaining wall in on his side as he cut in for his shed) this will mean one less side to worry about making sure water doesn't pool against the shed!

On the progress side, I at least signed up for our 100/40 NBN FTTP service today, using our anticipated handover date of 3/2.

Fingers crossed they pull their fingers out soon or it won't happen!!
How frustrating for you. I think a lot of people are still off on leave. I'm sure if you don't get action onsite this week, next week will be full steam ahead! I am super positive they will adhere to your start date. Remember what my house looked like a fortnight to ten days...even seven days before handover?! Hahahaha. Admittedly you don't want it rushed. But a lot can be achieved before 3/2.

Related
2/10/2023
Custom build | Facade colours

Building A New House

I'd get the gutters to match your roof and pipes to match the paint - otherwise they become a feature. Nice pick with the paint colours!

30/05/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Soak wells and electrical run in happening this week! Summit has told me they will relocate the laundry plumbing after the walls are completed. I'm actually pretty happy…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum