Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Fairmont Homes CustomKDR - Handover!

Page 25 of 25
Ok 5m x 5m apart does quite far, 3x3 sounds right to me. I notice there are cracks right through the middle of our 6x6 garage, I understand this is because there are no expansion joints so concrete would naturally crack around that point.

Are there cracks in the driveway or just alfresco?
Cracks in the driveway too but not quite as many as the alfresco. There are cracks in the corners of the perimeter path too which are quite wide and look concerning.

The concretor who came out seemed to think there was nothing wrong with the driveway and cracking there was probably due to the crappy hot-cold-rainy weather we have had over Summer, but that mistakes were made wiht the alfresco.

Also concerning was that neither the concretor nor the Fairmont guy who came out for the 6 month warranty check recognised the waterproofing stuff he had used. Both said it wasn't one of the approved products.
Oh no this doesn't sound good. Could you post some pictures of the cracked areas?
You wouldn't think the perimeter path would be wide enough to crack, although anything's possible with concrete.
I had a look at a friends concrete driveway from decades ago and hardly a crack in it.
Cold and rainy is supposedly good for new concrete but not hot-cold like you say.
We have arranged for an engineer to come out and assess the concrete in the next few weeks - a t a cost of around $800 odd dollars! Hopefully that report will make it clearer what needs to happen.

We have been flat out for the last few weeks preparing the backyard for lawn. We have around 180 sqm of lawn and we had a big pile of dirt left over from the retaining walls so it was quite an undertaking! DH did most of it as Ollie has gotten to an age where he needs to be constantly held/interacted with.

When we were clearing the weeds/rubbish from the gum tree, I noticed that there is a large gap between the ground and the concrete the entire way around the alfresco and rear perimeter path!

Oh my goodness what a difference grass makes though!

Some photos now:

Save
Weird double up of the photos.....

Save
And finally a gratuitous shot of my precious....

We actually haven't used Bessie too much over Summer but I will over winter!
Lawn looks great. I'm no concreter.....but in that top picture the concrete doesn't look thick enough?
Perhaps the pour wasn't deep enough and it dried too quickly? Will be interesting to hear what the professionals say.
Ooh that gap would give me the heebie jeebies! I'm obsessed with potential places for snakes to hide

It really sucks that you're having to pay out money to find out what's wrong.. it almost looks like the concrete has shrunk.
The garden itself is looking great though

Related
12/09/2023
Can a variation dispute hold up handover?

Building A New House

yes it does, you've just not understood it. theres a difference.

13/11/2023
Key Handover

General Discussion

Your house should come in "as new" condition. It should be clean, and without stains

10/05/2024
Final Invoice and Key Handover

Building A New House

Hi Need to read your contract about when final payment is received. Clearly outlines what happens. In vic, known defects or incomplete work must be completed before…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum