Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our custom build in the Barossa - Guided Tour Anyone?????

Page 23 of 25
Goodluck with the sample pots Rebecca! I found the Solver range really hard to choose from as all the white/cream colours have really strong undertones. We brought 7 sample pots! our kitchen wall in the "Shoebox" is very stripey
We are now going with "Bakers Own" which is fairly new to their range & is a light beige colour that goes perfectly against our kitchen etc.

I also found their colour match was very inaccurate, I had them make up Dulux "Sandy Day" & it looked like a completely different colour. No idea why, I wonder if maybe their base white colour is a little different or something?
Broom maybe you could offer your wall of colours to the rest of us for a small fee - save us buying the pots and painting cardboard 'walls'
Dulux say quite strongly on their brochures etc that colour matching won't work well for their colours. I think that it is definitely to do with the base.
dreamcometrue
Broom maybe you could offer your wall of colours to the rest of us for a small fee - save us buying the pots and painting cardboard 'walls'

Hahaha, I have quite the range...Smoke Pearl, Vittese, Viteese 1/2 strength, Sandy Day, Bakers Own, something I can't remember the name of....sorry 6 sample pots!
Painting appointment
at the house completed today, we are going with the Whitetone. He says that he has painted a lot of houses with it lately and it goes well with the ceiling white. The double strength ceiling white was just too stark. I needed a little bit of warmth.
Ahem..... any updates?
OK Cass - lol, sorry to be a stranger!!!! Now where was I? Paint

We ended up goin gfor Moon Dust on the walls and Moon Dust double on the architraves, skirting etc. The ceiling is ceiling white. Most of the first coat is on the entire house now and wall colour looks good, although we are looking forward to seeing it done against the kitchen cabinetry......hoping it will be OK. I am wondering if we should have gone lighter with the skirting, doors etc rather than darker.....?

So along with that the tiler has been in too. The kitchen splashback is in (not grouted) and looks great. The bathrorom walls are done and the laundry and toilet. No pics though as yet.

Our builder requested to see us yesterday at the house with a few issues:

Tiles - the floor tile for the wet areas we selected actually goes up one wall in both the bathroom and ensuite. The tiler is not happy with how the floor tile is cutting and seems heavy on the wall. Apparently he got that frustrated on Friday that he left and said off to another job for a few days......The builder is organising a special cutting tool and blade that should get the result we want, and as noone picked up earlier that we selected a floor tile for the wall, he is going to pay!

Painting - all good, but now painter is on leave for a week and a half.....

This is the doozy - my gorgeous anodised aluminium windows have been damaged by the brick cleaning process. There is one that is terribly bad - the hydrochlorioc acid has eaten into the finish. So one whole window has to be replaced, which also means internal window aves etc...and lots of little facia plates on the windows also need dto be replaced. Stegbar has been out as well as some other techo....the brickie and noone is really taking responsibility, but at least our builder is replacing and fixing at no cost to us. He has been brilliant about it actually. He was prepared to replace as many windows as we weren't happy with, but we didn't want to be too difficult about it so it is just the one, plus a few facia plates. The main issue with this is the window has to go back and they will make a new one from there......so the gap will be boarded up....hopefully secure enough!! At least we are in a semi-rural location. The new one will take 5 weeks!!!

So looks like a handover of first week or November is comprimised and we will be mid Nov....still OK with that, we have said that we dont want him to rush it, we want to right.

So that's where we are....will let you know how it pans out...
Oh, what a pain about the window pushing your build back. It's great that your builder is taking care of it though. Your builder sounds really good. Sounds like they're taking the stress out of all the little things that inevitably go wrong in a build.

Good to hear you've decided on a paint colour. It's such a hard decision. Can't wait to see some pics.
Not long to go now Rebecca!

I think your architraves etc will look great in double strength, we did that in our last 2 houses & it looked really good.

That's no good about your windows, I wonder if anodised windows require a weaker strength of hydrochloric acid & the brick cleaner didn't realise they were anodised & not powder coated? As long as they are replaced that's all that matters!
Hi Rebecca, a few dramas but sounds like your builder is dealing with them - what a pain though to have to wait for your window but best to get it right now ... you want your house to be almost perfect when you move in. Hope things run a bit smoother for you now ...
Hooray for an update, so sorry to hear about your window and tile issues
You are totally right though, better to get it all right now before you move in. Then when you move it will be just fabulous! At least your builder seems to be committed to getting it right for you!
Hi!! Just realised it has been 3 weeks since an update! So here we go!

Outside, air is in, paths are in...loving it.

Inside, tiling now being grouted!!

Really happy with how its coming together, just a week or so now!
how could I forget this pic.....cant wait to see this up in my WIR!

Woo hoo ... look at you ... you must be very happy with that .... mmm might have to get one of those lights for my WIR
Wow!! Looking so amazing! Love the idea of a pretty light in the wir - might have to steal that one
Pease do!!!

Also forgot to say that the paths won't remain black. They will be slate grey. The pic around the back shows the final colour.
That light shade is so cute!
The house looks great, spic and span and shiny
I was just reading some previous posts and realised my first post on your thread was back in February...and we STILL haven't started!

We are very close to signing a builder though - have just requested an update of the quote with a few changes.
Rebecca, did you have to get double glazed windows for the 6 star? Also, I looked back on your original design with electrical and it looks like only one air con but you have two - why is that?
Love the paths; the grey should compliment the roof beautifully
Looking great Bec! Glad you will be in well before Xmas!
Looks wonderful Rebecca! you must be pretty close to handover now?
PCI on Friday afternoon!!!
Handover sometime next week...
Toilets and taps and showers are on!!!! Really just shower screens and mirrors to go!!!!
Related
2/10/2023
Custom build | Facade colours

Building A New House

I'd get the gutters to match your roof and pipes to match the paint - otherwise they become a feature. Nice pick with the paint colours!

21/05/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Congrats. Will be watching this progress and interested to see how you go with summit.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum