Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 220 of 862
Hi guys,

My DH and I are currently in the process of building our dream home the BERKLEY 27.
We are wondering is it worth to purchase alarm system through porter Davis or install alarm system later?

Any recommendations?
Karma888
Hi guys,

My DH and I are currently in the process of building our dream home the BERKLEY 27.
We are wondering is it worth to purchase alarm system through porter Davis or install alarm system later?

Any recommendations?

If it’s a single storey it cheaper to install it later... I paid $1300 through PD and the alarm technician told me that they install the same system for about $800. I would rather put $500 towards my landscaping or blinds.

Since I built a double storey I had no open but to pay as I wanted a hard wired system.
Karma888
Hi guys,

Any recommendations?

After watching argus install ours 2 days after we moved in, if you can get it installed for less elsewhere and its a single story do it later.. It took 1 real sparky and 2 apprentices 2hrs to install our 5 point system. Which we paid $1300 for.

The house was completely finished.
Rups
The ducted vacuum system went in today. We were asked at electrical to supply our preferred location of the points, which we gave to our BC ages ago as a marked up floorplan. She said our SS will worry about it and to talk to him, so we gave him a copy when we met him last year.

Well, either he didn't give it to the vac guys, or they can't read, as they're all in weird spots. We aren't happy with the locations (esp since most of our flooring will be bamboo and not getting vacuumed) and will need to get them moved... Anyone got any experiences on this one?

Our SS called back today after I left him a voicemail this morning, and he said he had no idea the vac guys were going out to do the install. Said he'll get it fixed.

Happy with that!
Thanks everyone.

We went around the house for final inspection before we picked up the keys. Still a few things missed by the painters so they will be coming out on Saturday to finish it off. Funny thing, I went around the house today with my hairdryer checking every single powerpoint. I went into the main bathroom and do you think I could find a powerpoint....nope......I started to laugh and thinking how could we have missed this. I told my partner and he came into look and started laughing also. He said did we forget to add this in and I said no way we wouldn't have. He said laughingly not to ring PD because we look stupid and I said yeah probably but I am sure it's their mistake. Lo and behold it's a standard item and should be in there and they forgot. They will come back to put the powerpoint in. OMG, they will have to cut our tiles now and it may look worse - hope not. BUGGER!!! But so funny.

So painter is coming back, renderer is coming back because painter dripped paint on the render after PCI, sparky coming back to install powerpoint and fix two down lights that are not working, locksmith coming back because we locked our wind out window to check the key works and now we can't unlock the window at all and a privacy lock that still didn't get rectified. But we're still smiling; it not that bad. It's been a great experience in the end.
Window locks direct from southern star are $15 each.. not $25 that PD charge (if I recal)

I noticied today, that some windows can only have a SS lock installed, 3rd party bunnings ones dont fit. grrr.

Congrats Eli, enjoy your new home
Load of wood and bricks delivered to our site yesterday can't wait for framing to be done! Surprised to see bricks delivered already, but guess that just means there shouldn't be any delays for bricking to start once frame n all is done
Sounds great eli-kay123! What an amazing feeling to finally call it yours! Shame about the power point- we went by our place tonight and all our wiring and insulation has been done and we noticed extra power point holes- I wont be telling them if they have installed extras. lol
humble
eli-kay123
Very nice humble. Are you able to disclose the company you went with and the name/colour of aggregate concrete you did. Yours looks great! I've seen other types of aggregate concrete on peoples driveways and it didn't impress me. Did you do yours right down to the road or just to the crossover.

I will happily recommoned the guys who did my driveway.

Taylors Lakes Concrete.
http://www.taylorslakesconcrete.com/

Joey is the man! and his team are just fantastic.. very very professional, all in there 50's, over 30 years of exp. Guns.

Joey's supplier of concrete is midway (google them) and the color chosen was 'artic'

Thanks for the details Humble. I'm gonna bug you again. Can you please tell me how much they charged to do your driveway, just so I can have an idea on what I'm up for. Thanks in advance.
Thanks sammyjane31, extra powerpoints. What a bonus! I wouldn't be saying anything either. Good luck in your journey.
For those who are interested in the temporary blinds REDISHADE, I got onto Redishade in the USA this is the email I sent and recieved.

Me: "Do you ship or have a distributor in Australia. I've been ringing everywhere but the Bunnings stores that you distribute to don't sell them don't anymore. Thanks in advance."

Redishade replied:"Thank you for your interest in our product. We have a couple of local options for you to try. We received word from a customer who contacted the Bunnings in Tuggeranong (Canberra) and found they had a few of our shades in stock. They're shipping them to the Bunnings near her in Sydney. You could try contacting the Tuggeranong Bunnings store first.

We have also established a new distributor relationship in Australia. Their contact information is:

Damon De Angelis
Hometec Plantation Shutters
Ringwood Vic Aus
Ph: 0408 335 973
Fax: 9879 3379
e: info@htfa.com.au
w: http://www.htfa.com.au/

If either of these options do not work out, we would be happy to work with you directly from here in the States. Please contact us via email at sales@redishade.com so we can review your specific needs.

I hope this info will help the people interested in this product and save them from ringing every Bunnings store in Melbourne.

But this email did come too late for me. I got desparate and I actually found a similar shade on ebay (melbourne seller) http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Home-Garden- ... ary+blinds

Also by looking Hometec Plantation Shutters website ( http://www.htfa.com.au ) they seem to be a wholesaler. They do shutters, various types of blinds, sell wicker furniture so they may be cheaper than purchasing from retailers. I have yet to contact them though.
Thanks for the info eli-kay123 - they definitely look better than sheets! May even keep it as a permanent shade in the WIR that is at the front of the house?
Wateman
Load of wood and bricks delivered to our site yesterday can't wait for framing to be done! Surprised to see bricks delivered already, but guess that just means there shouldn't be any delays for bricking to start once frame n all is done

Hi Wateman,

That’s exciting news! I think this stage of the building process is really exciting because you’ve just finished finalising the contract and made all your selections which can be quite a long process and can be very intense but now you can physically see the progress happening. I’m looking forward to your updates. Ebony
Thanks Humble & tstr1a

we will definitely consider your suggestions.
Hi guys,

Can someone pls recommend a good electrician that has years of experience, friendly and trust worthy in the western suburb. My DH and I are going to have our electric appointment in few weeks and we want to ensure the price we are going to be charged is worth it. Currently we require extra (a lot) down lights and power points (internal and external)

We would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Sammyjane31
Thanks for the info eli-kay123 - they definitely look better than sheets! May even keep it as a permanent shade in the WIR that is at the front of the house?

Hi sammyjane31,

I’m glad you’ve been able to get recommendations from the community, it’s so helpful getting tips and advice from people who have just been through purchasing things like blinds. We have a few great blog posts on blinds that I thought might be helpful for you - http://blog.porterdavis.com.au/?s=blinds. Cheers, Ebony
Has anyone has to deal with not receiving calls back from their SS to orngaise a meet and greet? We met with our original SS in mid December and he was re trenched and was then covered by the Mgr until mid January. In the mean time i have left messages for the temp SS to call me and doesn't return my call and our BC said she would have him call and he still didn't. I have now sent an email asking for answer before we get our next invoice (lock up) and as I am typing the email my DH receives the lock up invoice- so i asked our BC how does she think we should proceed we haven’t met with our SS to discuss it and any issues/questions that we should have?

So frustrating!
Framing started today!
Sammyjane31
Has anyone has to deal with not receiving calls back from their SS to orngaise a meet and greet? We met with our original SS in mid December and he was re trenched and was then covered by the Mgr until mid January. In the mean time i have left messages for the temp SS to call me and doesn't return my call and our BC said she would have him call and he still didn't. I have now sent an email asking for answer before we get our next invoice (lock up) and as I am typing the email my DH receives the lock up invoice- so i asked our BC how does she think we should proceed we haven’t met with our SS to discuss it and any issues/questions that we should have?

So frustrating!

Hi we have just had to deal with none return of phone calls.recieved an invoice for fit out stage .called site superviser to ask questions about problems from fixing stage that have now been covered over said we would get in touch in two days so he could confer with his manager.two days later tried to get in touch to organise a walk through no joy.next day no joy.rang building co-ord and invoice woman to explain why no payment has been paid yet they said they would get him to ring us and where aware of our concerns .bc said dont pay until you have had your walk through.so frantic phone call to mrs to say dont take invoice in yet..then gets a phone call next day of invoice woman saying you need to pay and bc had no right saying dont pay.as the faults are frame stage this is fixing stage you need to pay it and if your issues are still not resolved then withold the last payment..i understand people are busy but come on pd...
eli-kay123
humble
eli-kay123
Very nice humble. Are you able to disclose the company you went with and the name/colour of aggregate concrete you did. Yours looks great! I've seen other types of aggregate concrete on peoples driveways and it didn't impress me. Did you do yours right down to the road or just to the crossover.

I will happily recommoned the guys who did my driveway.

Taylors Lakes Concrete.
http://www.taylorslakesconcrete.com/

Joey is the man! and his team are just fantastic.. very very professional, all in there 50's, over 30 years of exp. Guns.

Joey's supplier of concrete is midway (google them) and the color chosen was 'artic'

Thanks for the details Humble. I'm gonna bug you again. Can you please tell me how much they charged to do your driveway, just so I can have an idea on what I'm up for. Thanks in advance.

$3000 Cash.. $3400 was the real quote. 35sqm.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum