Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Boutique Homes

Page 22 of 172
Our build was scheduled to start on Wednesday and all went to plan. The site was cut in 24 hours and they hope to commence underground drains power next week. If the weather holds out the slab will also be poured. Amazed at how quickly things move once they start.

IMG_6399.jpg
That's not good Aussie assault.. It's so frustrating when they don't do what they say they will..

Ok I want people's opinion on this, we we're emailed last wed that the underground plumbing and electricity was completed.. So we just went out to have a look at the progress expecting to see a meter box, riser pipes and at least our water meter and tap right? Nothing seems to have changed since our site scrape? Now I'm not sure if I was wrong to expect to see these things?? I am just confused why they would say they have done something when they haven't, it wasn't as though I was chasing them for an update..
Here is also a picture I took last week after the site scrape.. We have a free pool at the moment

Though as per my last message, nothing looks different today, though I re-read the email sent and it said that the drains and underground power has been installed.. So does that mean it can't be seen or I should be seeing some difference?
I can't comment on your situation fruitlubes but it certainly is something to watch for we found. The further our build went on the more we visited our site and a trend appeared where we'd get update emails stating things were done when in reality they weren't yet. One time it was a part of a progress payment which we questioned and they admitted their mistake. Not sure of their intentions for doing it but it happened quite a bit for us.
Well here's my block pre-start for the record. The Hamlan Homes build next door have their fence & stacks of bricks across the boundary line, so they have to get moved as my garage will go right to the boundary, right about there, so the excavator will want access on Thursday. They also drove their machinery up over my nature strip & gouged great trenches out of it, not sure who fixes that as it's technically council property.

Aussie Assault
I can't comment on your situation fruitlubes but it certainly is something to watch for we found. The further our build went on the more we visited our site and a trend appeared where we'd get update emails stating things were done when in reality they weren't yet. One time it was a part of a progress payment which we questioned and they admitted their mistake. Not sure of their intentions for doing it but it happened quite a bit for us.

Thanks Aussie, I hope it's just a once off but since you went through the similar thing it may be just the begining of what to expect.. fingers crossed not.
It just doesn't make any sense to lie about it.. Do you think we won't go out there and see the progress ourselves..

What is the etiquette of contacting the SS directly or your client liason.? Can I call my SS to ask him directly what is happening?
Yeah fruitlubes contact them directly. You'll get your answer straight away that way. In the end we did everything through the office, and through emails as it meant we had written correspondence for everything then to fall back on but that was after a large amount of dramas which I'm sure wont happen in your build.
Thanks again Aussie, I have contacted my SS directly and explained what happened.. back on track now.. Concrete piers went in yesterday and now drainage and elec over the next couple of days.. hopefully this is the only bump in the road..
Looks like we're kicking off in parallel, Fruitlubes. Here's a pic of my site after Day 1 (yesterday). Piers are booked to go in on Tuesday. Pretty amazing to see something has actually happened after 10 months. That house next door was bare ground a month ago - flying up!
Yeah just about a week difference.. our Underground elec and drains are in.. and slab prep will start next week

Exciting times..
Update on our build so far....

Build kick off was Wed 2nd July, within 24 hours the site cut was completed and last week underground elec and plumbing went down, they were also able to box up in prep for the slab to go down this week. I received an email this morning from Boutique to say the slab was progressing this week and then later this afternoon received an invoice for progress payment for slab completion as it was apparently completed today. Framer is booked for next week which I was advised would take approx 8 days to complete. Things are moving pretty quickly for us at this stage.

Fruitlubes & Bandha looks like our builds are currently running within a couple of days of each other so the information sharing will be useful!
Our underground power and plumbing is in. Slab next week sometime.
Monty39
...I received an email this morning from Boutique to say the slab was progressing this week and then later this afternoon received an invoice for progress payment for slab completion as it was apparently completed today.

They don't muck about with invoices, do they? Was the slab actually fully complete? I'm getting Houspect to do an inspection so I won't be paying invoices until they sign-off on it.

My slab is scheduled for next week (23rd), weather permitting.
fruitlubes
Aussie Assault
It just doesn't make any sense to lie about it.. Do you think we won't go out there and see the progress ourselves..

Just on the company being dishonest we're still trying to resolve a few issues with our house, but one of the things we wanted complete was the driveway seal where 1/2 of the job was completed on one of the appliance days we were home. We questioned why the tradesman never finished the job, and they replied that it had been complete. We asked Boutique to prove it with a date as we were also home the following 4 days (w'end included) after the appliance installation days. They never replied but today the tradie was back out there completing it and said he never came back in the meantime due to weather. I dont mind that from the tradie, but Boutique just blatantly trying to dismiss our concerns is a joke. An apology might have been nice also and a heads up that the tradesman would be out on site as we have to keep of the driveway for the night. I know this isnt a large issue, but it is certainly not the first time and a warning to others to check everything.

We've been in 3 weeks from tomorrow. Terrible time of the year to move in with the wet back & front yards. Heating system that we upgraded to zoned we are really pleased with. The oven is a bit confusing as their manual doesnt match up with the actual appliance but still great so far, touch wood. The dishwasher wouldnt be one I'd choose if I could pick it from the shop as it limits on space. We're still waiting for our integrated door to be installed on that too so hopefully that'll happen soon. Everything else going good so far, starting to set the place up like a home, but with the backyard a big mud pit we wont be able to do much out there until later in the year.
Hi all,

Have been reading the forums for quite a while picking up some very handy hints and advice. Thought I'd finally create an account so I can contribute to this thread in particular as were about to start an Oslo 24 build in Ocean Grove. Currently making some final changes before signing our PWC.

Not too comforting reading some of the experiences in here but hoping we have some relatively smooth sailing for the build as we love the floorplans and quality of the Boutique homes that are done correctly!
TheMC
Hi all,

Have been reading the forums for quite a while picking up some very handy hints and advice. Thought I'd finally create an account so I can contribute to this thread in particular as were about to start an Oslo 24 build in Ocean Grove. Currently making some final changes before signing our PWC.

Not too comforting reading some of the experiences in here but hoping we have some relatively smooth sailing for the build as we love the floorplans and quality of the Boutique homes that are done correctly!

Hi TheMC, welcome to the club. We haven't had any complaints about BH so far. Their floorplans are the primary reason we chose them above other companies so they clearly have a good design and drafting department. The sales process was also fine and they were able to accomodate our minor changes to floorplan, fitout and wiring without much trouble. It has taken several months longer than we were hoping to finally get underway but I can't say that that is unique to BH. We have friends that are building with other companies and it seems to be a common complaint among all new home builders. It may have more to do with resource availability and scheduling clashes than anything else. Our SS has been great so far and we should see the slab in next week if the weather holds up.

These forums are great for suggestions on how to keep on top of your home build, communicate with the SS and the build co-ordinator and understanding your responsibilities and rights in the process. It certainly helps to do your homework and read all the available material. Absorb youself in the house plans and the build list and try to make sure you have got everything you want included before you sign the PWC. Very little change will be tolerated after you have signed without an associated cost. Good luck.

We now have underground drains and wiring installed...

Bandha

Shalee - I've been talking to Housespect Victoria. They seem quite good, similar rates. Each of the 5 stages is a slightly different price, depending on complexity, if you do the 5 stage package deal it's $2K. .

Thanks Bandha, we'll check them out as well. At this stage we've decided to go with the 5 inspections with whoever we end up selecting as we are an hour away ( hour & half in traffic) for peace of mind.

It's been great to read of yours & everyone else's start whilst we've been waiting for the green light since signing our contract almost 4 weeks ago. We finally got notified that we had received our developer's approval yesterday. We had inquired about any progress a week ago since we hadn't heard anything since the contract signing & were told this week that there had been a slight delay at Boutique's end before getting it to our developer.

We look like getting to site on 5 th August, so hopefully not too much longer before we see some action.

TheMC we are building the Oslo 24 also in Bacchus Marsh!
TheMC
Hi all,

Hi The MC,
I have just signed the PWC for Oslo 24....actually Oslo 27 by the time we have altered things. We are building in Armstrong Creek (Villawood). Our titling is in December so we also cant wait. The forums are very useful, but I am the same...it makes excited but nervous. The quality is there...service (so far) is there...now we wait.

Keep us informed and Ill do the same.

TBags

Every day above ground is a good day
OK, I've given up & started a blog. It gets tedious pretty quickly, posting the same photos to family & friends, so this should make life easier. I'm still catching it up to current status so it's a bit behind.

My slab poor is scheduled for Friday. A bit concerned that the neighbour's build pushed the fence back a couple of metres to fit their trestle in, but then the excavator for my site just did inside where the fence was. End result - he didn't dig out where the garage goes right to the site boundary.

Here's the link:
http://bellarinebuild.blogspot.com.au/
charlie01

Hi TheMC, welcome to the club. We haven't had any complaints about BH so far. Their floorplans are the primary reason we chose them above other companies so they clearly have a good design and drafting department. The sales process was also fine and they were able to accomodate our minor changes to floorplan, fitout and wiring without much trouble. It has taken several months longer than we were hoping to finally get underway but I can't say that that is unique to BH. We have friends that are building with other companies and it seems to be a common complaint among all new home builders. It may have more to do with resource availability and scheduling clashes than anything else. Our SS has been great so far and we should see the slab in next week if the weather holds up.

These forums are great for suggestions on how to keep on top of your home build, communicate with the SS and the build co-ordinator and understanding your responsibilities and rights in the process. It certainly helps to do your homework and read all the available material. Absorb youself in the house plans and the build list and try to make sure you have got everything you want included before you sign the PWC. Very little change will be tolerated after you have signed without an associated cost. Good luck.

We now have underground drains and wiring installed...

Thanks Charlie!
Our sales process has been great so far also. Our consultant has been more than happy to keep sending through revised quotes as we continue to change our minds and stretch the budget, which I'm sure would be frustrating from their end!

Shalee
TheMC we are building the Oslo 24 also in Bacchus Marsh!

Sounds great, Shalee. We thinks it's one of the better floor plans we've seen. Looking forward to following your progress!

Tbags
Hi The MC,
I have just signed the PWC for Oslo 24....actually Oslo 27 by the time we have altered things. We are building in Armstrong Creek (Villawood). Our titling is in December so we also cant wait. The forums are very useful, but I am the same...it makes excited but nervous. The quality is there...service (so far) is there...now we wait.

Keep us informed and Ill do the same.

TBags

Every day above ground is a good day

Hi Tbags, will definitely keep all informed! We also considered the larger Oslo (29) but decided to settle for the 24 as a lot of the extra space was in the outdoor living, which we are planning on extending a little ourselves anyway so the value for our dollar just wasn't there in the larger floor plan.
Related
28/06/2023
Boutique Homes

General Discussion

Thanks for the insight.

15/09/2023
Sydney - Inner Suburbs - Boutique Builder Costs

Building A New House

Hi Simeon, PM'ed you the other day. Still waiting >

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum