Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis - Madison 40

Page 21 of 23
Hi CJ

Hope the build is going well now.

My wife and I have had an interesting experience with PD. We are currently trying to get PD to be reasonable on the quoted prices for optional ovens and air con.

For some reason they are quoting $200-300 over retail on ovens and +$7000 over retail on air con. Can you tell me what brand and kW air con you got for $17,500? I got a retail quote for about this much for an Actron platinum esp ?18kW.

We have asked PD to install just the duct work so we can install the unit after the build. They put 110% mark up and quoted $10,000 just for the duct work.

They also charged $150 p/m for tiles that I could walk into National Tiles and buy off the shelf for $75.

Thanks

Mildly exasperated.
Welcome to the world of volume building.

We wanted four zones / zone per bedroom cooling and they suggested actron, quoted me $24k for it. No thanks! The add on refrigerated cooling option is actually very expensive to run because it isn't an inverter...when it's on, it's chewing up 18kw constantly. It's a brivis by memory, price was $16,000...not 17.5, but we got a promotional deal where we got it for $6,900, so wasn't too upset with the outcome, probably just got charged what they pay for it!

As for tiling, totally agree. The excuse I get is that the price that we are quoted includes the installation price. Mind you, the standard inclusion also includes installation / the labor costs so it's a bit of a rort. We are installing travertine grigio which ended up being a $200 psqm upgrade :/

fademan
Welcome to the world of volume building.

We wanted four zones / zone per bedroom cooling and they suggested actron, quoted me $24k for it. No thanks! The add on refrigerated cooling option is actually very expensive to run because it isn't an inverter...when it's on, it's chewing up 18kw constantly :/

As for tiling, totally agree. The excuse I get is that the price that we are quoted includes the installation price. Mind you, the standard inclusion also includes installation / the labor costs so it's a bit of a rort. We are installing travertine grigio which ended up being a $200 psqm upgrade :/

Whilst that's true fademan you still have to pay for your standard inclusions item by item so even if you upgrade there are no credits to offset. In reality you are getting what you select.
Well that's the problem I'm trying to call out. You should be credited for A , if you replace A with B.

It is also in the wording. For my tile appointment, (along with all the other appointments), they had upgrade categories...1....x

Now, with the tiling, they were quite clear that, where there were no tiles on the plan, we'd have to pay the full cost, not the category upgrade cost. So the implication is that the upgrade includes a credit for the tile you're replacing.

For a tile that is $79spqm retail, and the upgrade cost is $200+ it is absolutely BS that the increase in labour is over $100sqm.

It is pure profit.

The price you have been quoted for the ducts only seems absurd. We are building the Madison 40 and our entire aircon system for both floors for an evap system was $6700 but we only paid 3,000 as we were delaying signing up and they wanted to get us locked in for a specific site start date
ETA, I will add some photos later. We are at bricking stage. Have had major delays due to our incompetent supervisor who has now been fired. Things seemed to have picked up again now though. I cant see us being in by mid September. We are building the Madison 40 with the bedroom at the front and the Mayfair facade (the one with the balcony)
Madison40builder
ETA, I will add some photos later. We are at bricking stage. Have had major delays due to our incompetent supervisor who has now been fired. Things seemed to have picked up again now though. I cant see us being in by mid September. We are building the Madison 40 with the bedroom at the front and the Mayfair facade (the one with the balcony)

That’s frustrating. When did your build start? We are at brick/Hebert stage too, but we have had a good run to date. Our site scrape was 28 Feb. We are also building with front master bed, princess suite for bed 2 with ensuite and guest bed at front downstairs. I really hope you have a good run from here. It is possible with a good site supervisor to finish in September. Depends how good they are at scheduling trades.
Hi guys,

Bit of an update from me.

Our slab was poured last week (Tuesday May 29th). A week later, and most of the bottom storey frame is done and Windows have been delivered....more to follow soon with photos. Seems extremely fast!

Hi guys,

Bit of a follow up from my post yesterday.
Although the above post shows some of the progress, I'd like to publish what happened during the two days between formwork / slab pour.

As some may recall, I am using Darbecca as my independent inspector. They arrived at around 3pm (after the formwork had been completed) and found a bunch of items (mainly re-enforcement touching the waffles and surrounding boundary), they also found, what I thought was, a significant problem in the garage. The screw piles were in the wrong spot!

In the end, all they did was cut away parts of the waffle pod to allow enough room around them for the slab concrete to support them, but I am very sure that it wouldn't have been picked up (and wasn't) by PD's own assessor.

These photos were taken the next morning (presumably before first light - they were already pouring @ 7.30am when I arrived:

A few of the other bits that needed to be fixed - can't have the mesh touching pipes, or the edges, or the waffle pods!

Popped in on Saturday to find a young bloke going at it finishing the bottom floor. He thinks the top floor framing will be done by next week end. Is that extremely fast?

Slab pour 29/05, frame finished 16/06?

The work looks pretty good from what I can see, and my theatre room is coming along nicely

Sounds about right mate... it goes retry quick through to frame completion and even lockup.
Did you pre wire anything for a door bell, or look at options around integrating it with the tuxedo touch?

fademan
Did you pre wire anything for a door bell, or look at options around integrating it with the tuxedo touch?

We pre-wired for a traditional door bell, haven't bothered with 'smart' technology at this stage. Not sure it is mature enough to invest the amount of money it requires, plus our budget ran out
MikW
fademan

We pre-wired for a traditional door bell, haven't bothered with 'smart' technology at this stage. Not sure it is mature enough to invest the amount of money it requires, plus our budget ran out

Should you wish to get a smart one down the track
Checkout wired ring doorbell.
https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/artic ... g-Doorbell
Hi Mike...Can you clarify exactly what you asked for? Just a power point provision, or something specific...or does Argus have doorbell options?

I realised that I missed it altogether.

I'm trying to see if they will do a variation now to add one in. My bc is saying that it is unlikely.

As part of our electrical the consultant said that the door locks can be retro fitted with smart locks. I'd ideally like to get something for the door so I can see who it is, and unlock the door using my phone, or even the tuxedo....

fademan
Hi Mike...Can you clarify exactly what you asked for? Just a power point provision, or something specific...or does Argus have doorbell options?

I realised that I missed it altogether.

I'm trying to see if they will do a variation now to add one in. My bc is saying that it is unlikely.

As part of our electrical the consultant said that the door locks can be retro fitted with smart locks. I'd ideally like to get something for the door so I can see who it is, and unlock the door using my phone, or even the tuxedo....

We paid for a hard wire doorbell in our electrical at a cost of $259. Couldn’t be bothered messing around afterwards and have disappointing experiences with wireless ones.
Yep I've asked for one. Let's see how it goes.

Frame is almost complete, and the bottom Windows and sliders have been installed already!

After a long lead up, the start of another Madison! Not sure we will keep up with the pace of the other Madison builds...but it is a start

Madison40_PD
After a long lead up, the start of another Madison! Not sure we will keep up with the pace of the other Madison builds...but it is a start

Great to see another Madison underway. It’s an awesome house, can’t wait for ours to be finished
Welcome to the club!

Our build as at yesterday.

Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum