Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Rawson Balmoral 38 MK1 - Newcastle NSW

Page 3 of 7
luxbuild
That section isn't stepped down or anything is it? I guess they put more mortar per course in there?

I see they will fix it, so thats good.

Do you know what happens to the termite barrier when they lay the bricks? Is it meant to poke out between the slab and first course of bricks? But that means the bricks are stuck to the plastic sheet?

The laundry has a 40mm recessed slab, albeit the rebate to the mainslab on the edge is all consistent for the brickwork AFAIK

Hmm sorry I'm unsure regarding your question with the termite barrier, but I'm guessing yes essentially the brick would sit on top of the barrier thus sealing it off between slab and the framework?

Week 19: Not a great deal was done last week, we had one day of rain.

Our brickwork issue was resolved, they've ripped part of the wall down which was out of gauge and redone it.

Last week they also started cladding of the house. Hopefully that will be done this week along with fascia eaves?

Repaired brickwork:

Before:

After:

Rear of house brickwork now completed

Some of our neighbors Rawson builds coming along nicely

Week 20 Last week was a short 4 day week with the long weekend and a bit of rain. We've had a bit more cladding installed on the rear and a few down pipes added. Also looks like the brickwork was cleaned in some areas.

We were informed that our S/S has left to pursue a career with another building Co, so I guess that would have contributed to the lack of progress last week..

looking great!

Just quickly though! Get onto your SS to make sure they paint the cement board behind your aluminium wood look slats black! Tell your neighbour too! There was a Chifley Metro facade built a few suburbs away from us and they left it the same colour as the exterior walls and it looks pretty bad. The colour consultants don't show it on the plans or tell you about it.

Huhness
looking great!

Just quickly though! Get onto your SS to make sure they paint the cement board behind your aluminium wood look slats black! Tell your neighbour too! There was a Chifley Metro facade built a few suburbs away from us and they left it the same colour as the exterior walls and it looks pretty bad. The colour consultants don't show it on the plans or tell you about it.

Hmm that's interesting!

currently there's no board there I was wondering what they'd put behind it TBH as I assumed it would have been bricked up.

The Chifley fascade on the display home looks like it floats off the brickwork on the pic I have on file (Thornton display home)

What's on our plans:

ourrawsonbalmoral38
Huhness
looking great!

Hmm that's interesting!

currently there's no board there I was wondering what they'd put behind it TBH as I assumed it would have been bricked up.

The Chifley fascade on the display home looks like it floats off the brickwork on the pic I have on file (Thornton display home)

What's on our plans:

Our plans show the same, we were asked at colour selections for the colour of the “frame” but the frame is just the house..

Our house is Hebel but they still built a blue board box that jutted from the frame. The slats are affixed directly to the blue board. Our blue board had a textured tender finish similar to the rest of the house.

The photo I showed earlier is the new Chifley display at leppington which is finished the same as mine is, directly to the blue board.
G'day, thought we might be able to see/meet you guys over the weekend on site. Are you going to be around?
Huhness
ourrawsonbalmoral38
Huhness
looking great!

Hmm that's interesting!

What's on our plans:

Our plans show the same, we were asked at colour selections for the colour of the “frame” but the frame is just the house..

Our house is Hebel but they still built a blue board box that jutted from the frame. The slats are affixed directly to the blue board. Our blue board had a textured tender finish similar to the rest of the house.

The photo I showed earlier is the new Chifley display at leppington which is finished the same as mine is, directly to the blue board.

Thanks so much for the info, I'll discuss with our S/S to see what their plan was and if we can specify the blue board colour
gkit32
G'day, thought we might be able to see/meet you guys over the weekend on site. Are you going to be around?

Sure that'd be great, I'll PM you!
gkit32

Hi there, seems like you have PM's turned off? I had just notice it was sitting in my outbox undelivered?
Interesting to see they use a timerlook aluminum on your design while on other designs its a cedar cladding.
I wonder if they're moving away from cedar.

I'm guessing yours will have less maintenance.
luxbuild
Interesting to see they use a timerlook aluminum on your design while on other designs its a cedar cladding.

The chifley metro facade has always been timber look aluminium, it is great stuff! Our neighbours who built recently with Rawson have Cedar, it just depends on the facade.
Huhness
luxbuild

The chifley metro facade has always been timber look aluminium, it is great stuff! Our neighbours who built recently with Rawson have Cedar, it just depends on the facade.

Ahh OK, we done our exterior selection in Oct 2018 and I'd made sure it wasn't actually timber (no way I'd be reoiling that every 12 months) and yeah they said it's timberlook aluminium.

We chose spotted gum colour, and apparently that had only just been released a few weeks prior to our exterior selection, we were really happy with that as we didnt really like the other timber types on offer initially
Week 21 we had our render on our fascade done (so glad to cover up those ugly red bricks!!) some more downpipes done and the waterproofer guy commenced work on our bathrooms.

Painter is to start this week should look a whole lot better once we have it painted and the scaffolding starts to come down!

huhness thanks for your suggestion regarding the blue board behind the timber look slats on the fascade, we asked our S/S to have it painted monument (we have monument on the matrix board on the fascade also)
ourrawsonbalmoral38
@huhness thanks for your suggestion regarding the blue board behind the timber look slats on the fascade, we asked our S/S to have it painted monument (we have monument on the matrix board on the fascade also)

Good to hear! It looks really bad on anything other than a dark background colour!
Get that blue film off your upstairs windows. Trust me. 7 weeks after move in they finally got it off ours.
Salfield
Get that blue film off your upstairs windows. Trust me. 7 weeks after move in they finally got it off ours.

Damn I bet you were over that having to live with it for 7 weeks!

How's your house going mate, been happy with everything so far?

We have yet to get our facade painted so still a while off yet before the scaffolding comes down
Week 22 Not a huge amount has happened last week, waterproofing guys had done some more work, bulkhead frame above kitchen cabinets installed and sliding door frame installed for butlers pantry (Well that's all I spotted)

Front door (technically side door in our case) frame has been on site for a few months they're getting it ready

waterproofing pics

Week 23 As per previous weeks not a great deal had occurred we had guys installing the 'metal capping' which goes on the facade then when I turned up on the Saturday to take some progress pics there was a team of painters there painting the exterior cladding matrix board render etc!

I took a pic in the morning and at the end of the day they'd managed to get one coat on everything.

It was nice to get an idea of how the house will look, will look great once the timber section goes up on the facade for a bit more contrast

Some of our neighbouring Rawson builds are coming along nicely

Talking to our S/S we should have had painters finish off their painting on Monday, house cleaner to wash high windows Tuesday, Scaffolding to come down midweek.

Then we have electrical rough in booked for 15th Nov, A/C rough in 18th Nov,
Week 24: We met with our S/S today to go over a few things, and it seems the trades which were booked before the scaffolding came down never showed up to do their jobs (metal capping wasn't finished on facade, window cleaners didn't show up (blue film still on one window above the garage don't yell at us salfield!! painters had only done one coat..)

With most of the scaffolding down, the facade looks really good! We're happy with what we've achieved it was a lot of work trying to custom design the chifley metro facade onto the much narrower balmoral design and we're glad we persevered with waiting to gain approval from Rawson Homes HQ and then wondering how it'd look before we had paid to have the plans drawn up, then once the plans were drawn up you have those niggly thoughts in your mind that once constructed it may look ridiculous
Thankfully its turned out great in our opinions!

A few little niggly things that need fixing on the facade (the pergola needed more filler where the nail holes were, metal caps weren't flush with rendered piers needs some selleys no more gaps in there to finish it off and as mentioned some missing metal capping etc)

Basically rawson were paying $1000 p/w (by memory) for the scaffolding, so they're keen to get it down ASAP so they're no longing incurring costs, the unfinished work will be done by accessing by ladders on roof according to our S/S..

Looks great as is, we cant wait to have the timber panelling up to add some further contrast to the rendered pier. Thanks again to huhness for recommending to paint behind the timber black, our neighbors across the street had theirs up this week and it was white {surfmist-ghosting?} and it looks almost like white mortar from the street, definitely needs dark contrast to highlight the timber slats.

The plan going forward is electrical rough in booked 15th Nov, A/C rough in 18th Dec Kitchen and stair install mid dec, hoping for wall gyprocked possibly undercoated by lockup by xmas break.

Seems like Xmas break will be for 3-4 weeks, our contract ends in 1st week in March so we'll probably be right up to then before we get to move in I guess!

Related
24/02/2024
Building in Vineyard with Rawson

Building A New House

Just started the Build process for Chifley 42 with Rawson homes, will keep you all posted with the Build progress.

8/06/2023
Small builders in Western Sydney (NSW)

Building A New House

Hi all, We are looking to build a new two storey house in western Sydney. Can anyone recommend a smallish builder to go with? We are trying to stay away from the big…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum