Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Metricon Sentosa 52 Modified

Page 3 of 24
excited_builders
dulie
Freak_Zombie
Hey guys, was thinking of keeping my light switches basic and using the cash savings for other upgrades. I'm guessing it won't be costly to upgrade the switches in the future?

Also is anyone familiar with the basic range of metricon light switches? Apparently there's two options? Does anyone have pix? That would be much appreciated!

Yes don't bother upgrading with Metricon the light switches. We did which cost a fortune just for me to later on remove them and, upgraded them again myself to wifi connected ones so I could turn on and off the lights with Google home. Did all the switches myself, very easy. So if you wanted to do it later, it's very easy.

The only thing I had issues with the wifi enabled switches is 2 or 3 way switches. I ended up getting rid of any 2/3 way switches, replaced with a single, cause i could control lights with my voice anyways. But if you don't plan to use wifi, then no problems.

Can I ask how did you do it ....was it easy and is it only at the switches or somewhere inside the walls? To make them voice activated. And were the lights led?

The switches themselves are not voice activated, they are just wifi enabled, meaning they are connected to the internet and can be controlled by various apps on your phone or a automated home system. Doesn't matter what lights you have, it's just hi-jacking the on/off switch.

Depending on what home system you have or plan to buy, for example google home, apple homekit or alexa, you just gotta make sure the switches you buy are compatible with it.

Not sure if that answered your question, but if you're not that tech savy it's probably best to leave it to someone who knows what they're doing.
Doulton777
Do research on them first. See if there’s any reviews? That’s the best way to pick a product

viewtopic.php?t=86597

Yup, not as much details on the rest of 'em cept for xiaomi. Will decide once the house is near completion.

excited_builders
dulie
Freak_Zombie
Hey guys, was thinking of keeping my light switches basic and using the cash savings for other upgrades. I'm guessing it won't be costly to upgrade the switches in the future?

Also is anyone familiar with the basic range of metricon light switches? Apparently there's two options? Does anyone have pix? That would be much appreciated!

Yes don't bother upgrading with Metricon the light switches. We did which cost a fortune just for me to later on remove them and, upgraded them again myself to wifi connected ones so I could turn on and off the lights with Google home. Did all the switches myself, very easy. So if you wanted to do it later, it's very easy.

The only thing I had issues with the wifi enabled switches is 2 or 3 way switches. I ended up getting rid of any 2/3 way switches, replaced with a single, cause i could control lights with my voice anyways. But if you don't plan to use wifi, then no problems.

Can I ask how did you do it ....was it easy and is it only at the switches or somewhere inside the walls? To make them voice activated. And were the lights led?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Looks like someone answered for me. Thanks!! haha

Depending on my budget I'm really hoping to keep the glass balustrades for the staircase. It'll look like the following two photo. What do you guys think??

There'll still be a platform at the bottom of the stairs as seen at the metricon sentosa display house. (not seen in the picture)

The looks stunning! But be prepared to dish out the $$$ - we were told for our stairs in the Glendale 42 it would be about $20K for the glass balustrade!
shokel1975
The looks stunning! But be prepared to dish out the $$$ - we were told for our stairs in the Glendale 42 it would be about $20K for the glass balustrade!

I was given a much lower quote for it actually. I'm feeling a bit nervous cause the price is almost a no brainer. Perhaps the 20k would be the total cost of the upgrade to that similar stairs as opposed to just strictly the glass balustrade?
Freak_Zombie
shokel1975

I was given a much lower quote for it actually. I'm feeling a bit nervous cause the price is almost a no brainer. Perhaps the 20k would be the total cost of the upgrade to that similar stairs as opposed to just strictly the glass balustrade?

Quite possibly, it was months ago that we were given the price, so I can’t recall. I hope it isn’t too expensive. Good luck!
shokel1975
Freak_Zombie
shokel1975

Quite possibly, it was months ago that we were given the price, so I can’t recall. I hope it isn’t too expensive. Good luck!

Thanks! I sincerely hope I can squeeze it in, The glass looks sexy af.
I have the Ring Doorbell and Floodlight / Camera and cannot recommend it enough. A tip, go for the wired as that way you never have to change the batteries and make sure the electricians have wires around the spots you want to install them.

Love the tiles for your powder room. We have a similar tile in our laundry and love it!!
DamNita
I have the Ring Doorbell and Floodlight / Camera and cannot recommend it enough. A tip, go for the wired as that way you never have to change the batteries and make sure the electricians have wires around the spots you want to install them.

Love the tiles for your powder room. We have a similar tile in our laundry and love it!!

Oh and I love the dark pendant as it would go with the remainder of your choices (stairs, etc).
DamNita
DamNita

Oh and I love the dark pendant as it would go with the remainder of your choices (stairs, etc).

Nice good looking tap. Did you have it installed as well in your kitchen?
Melbournevic
DamNita
DamNita

Nice good looking tap. Did you have it installed as well in your kitchen?

No. In the kitchen we had a Franke tap and sink (below) - in the laundry it was a Caroma.
DamNita

No. In the kitchen we had a Franke tap and sink (below) - in the laundry it was a Caroma.

Ok thanks. Love the sink and the benchtop 😊
DamNita

Thanks! Yup already prewired for the ring setup. And man, you have so many nice upgrades! Most of my tiles are quite basic. Especially my kitchen tiles
my splashback is the basic white tile that comes with the package
Final contract signing next Tuesday, wish me luck guys! If there's anything I would need to look out for, please let me know! Thanks so much!

Also which payment schedules did you guys select, from some of the advice I've been given the 1st payment schedule is best?
Good luck! Your contract signing is pretty much just running through all the terms and conditions of the contract, and signing every page. It is not specifically about your selections/upgrades. But make sure you receive a copy of your final contract as early as possible before your contract signing. I really really recommend going through it line by line and checking it against your prelim contract. I found quite a few errors, extra charges, that I had never seen before etc. You can then bring those concerns up at your meeting.

In regards to the payment schedule, they just suggested a particular one and we went with it. But have since had to change it as our bank would not accept it - as it didn't meet the industry standard (whereby deposit and base stage payments should not exceed 20% total). Metricon simply changed us to one of their other payment schedules.
shokel1975
Good luck! Your contract signing is pretty much just running through all the terms and conditions of the contract, and signing every page. It is not specifically about your selections/upgrades. But make sure you receive a copy of your final contract as early as possible before your contract signing. I really really recommend going through it line by line and checking it against your prelim contract. I found quite a few errors, extra charges, that I had never seen before etc. You can then bring those concerns up at your meeting.

In regards to the payment schedule, they just suggested a particular one and we went with it. But have since had to change it as our bank would not accept it - as it didn't meet the industry standard (whereby deposit and base stage payments should not exceed 20% total). Metricon simply changed us to one of their other payment schedules.

Yeah I did ask them for the contract before the signing, but they refused, they told me I will still have 5 days to go through it post signing as it is the cooling off period. I would much rather read it before though. Hopefully they'll make the changes I requested.

There was a window they said was rejected by the drafting team. I'm quite suspicious about that. It's a normal highlight window I don't see why that would be an issue. I was strongly hinted at that there would be no more changes to be made at this stage. On more than one occasion in the past, an item they made a mistake they call it a change. Is that standard procedure? Personally I call it a rectification .

Noted about the payment schedule, that's very helpful. Thanks so much for that!
Strange they won’t give you contract prior to signing. Just make sure there are no mistakes once you get it. Push them on the window issue if you are not happy.
Just talking totally and completely generally. You know, once the Royal Commission on Disability is done and dusted, we need to see a Commission into this whole retail side of residential building. Right from the selling and contract stages, the sector is just getting so flaky. We ain't buying a used car, we're putting the real big bikkies on the line here. A builder won't give us a contract prior to signing? Cooling period used for amendments? Up to us, mate. Going to be plenty of builders chasing business this year, coupled with supply houses tearing prices down, all as a result of building approvals slip sliding away.
I think I got my final contract a week before contract signing. You should be able to get yours at least two three days before at minimum. Post contract variations however can be done after. And you can take the contract and variations to the bank for loan approval
Again, just talking totally and completely generally. Looking at a residential building arrangement, it's a three-legged stool - we look at the contract document, we look at the specification, and we look at the plans; they all work together. Would we be sensible to only sit in an office for an hour or so, where the environment to sign has its own characteristics, to consider documentation of such complexity and such synergy? Would we actually be sensible to seek independent advice on the documentation?

In viewing the contract document itself before any signature we might be sensible to think about things that may be less obvious like:

1. Start date of project being very clearly stipulated
2. Variation mechanism being very clearly addressed
3. Liquidated damages being entirely appropriate.

We might consider the detail of the plans that form part of the agreement; do we seek construction plans or are are those sales area generated floor plans and elevations the way to go and something we'd like to base an argument on some months down the track?

Does the specification detail and name the inclusions and products and the brands we actually want to see in our home and pay for in our project?

You know, it might seem complex and - maybe impolite - to chase the details but, really, it's just the same as being at work. Really.
Wow ok that was deep. Haha

Tomorrow is D-day. Hopefully I don't miss anything! Will start an Instagram page on the weekend if everything goes smoothly 🙏🏽🙏🏽
Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum