Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Coral Homes modified Noosa 25 Far North Coast NSW

Page 3 of 6
Brad_2477
Rhani89
Brad_2477
I did a rough sketch of what we wanted and where before going into the Clipsec appointment. Just as well as we did because there was not a lot of time to be making decisions on the spot. As it was we filled up the time slot even though we knew exactly what we wanted. I have prices from clipsec posted on page 1 my topic if you want to check them out. https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=92743

Thanks so much Brad, so do you think we are best to sketch what we want, and then work with clipsal to distribute our allocated lights and $3000 budget throughout?

Yes. I do think going in prepared with a sketch is best. We had $300 change from an allowance of $6K when we did our clipsec; but then we didn't like their fans or exterior lights and so spent another $1.8 K on these.If there are electrical items that you want to install after the build its probably best to have the wiring put in place now. For example, I have wiring to two battens at the rear of the house that I will convert over to LED flood lights after we have moved in.

Thats great, thank you. I have done my plan to include eveyrhting we want. Im then going to say to clipsal "this is what we want, these are our inclusions, this is our 3k additional budget. Please help us best make the most of our money and we will do the rest after "
Tiles

We have our tile appointment this saturday with Beaumont tiles

We think we are pretty organised with what we want

Haven Bone 600x600 in the main living, main bathroom and laundry

Belga taupe in the ensuite

Just wondering, in relation to the bathrooms, how do they cut the tiles for the shower? I dont want heaps of cuts in my tiles or heaps of diaganol cuts. Are we better to go 450x 450 or 300x600? or do they do 300x300 in the shower floor?

Any other general tips for tiles id appreciate
I think they use a smaller tile (not sure if 450 or 300) in the shower recess as its is too difficult to slope to the drain with 600 x 600 tiles. I am of the understanding that you don't get much of a choice in how the tiles are cut or placed and it is most common to use diagonally cut tiles to slope to the drain as this is easiest for them. You might be able arrange a conversation with your tiler via your SS when the time comes. Perhaps you could offer the tiler a cash incentive to take the extra time required to cut and place the tiles the way you want. Only other tip is to make sure you specify what type of tile edge trim you want, otherwise you could end up with white plastic trims.
Brad_2477
I think they use a smaller tile (not sure if 450 or 300) in the shower recess as its is too difficult to slope to the drain with 600 x 600 tiles. I am of the understanding that you don't get much of a choice in how the tiles are cut or placed and it is most common to use diagonally cut tiles to slope to the drain as this is easiest for them. You might be able arrange a conversation with your tiler via your SS when the time comes. Perhaps you could offer the tiler a cash incentive to take the extra time required to cut and place the tiles the way you want. Only other tip is to make sure you specify what type of tile edge trim you want, otherwise you could end up with white plastic trims.

Thanks Brad. Do you mean the tile edge around the nieches?
Rhani89
Brad_2477

Thanks Brad. Do you mean the tile edge around the nieches?

Yes, and any other corners e.g. tile edge on a bath hob.
We have the 300x300 in the shower. We went belga charcoal so hoping because it’s a darker tile you won’t notice the difference. Also I got told that you can pay a fee to Beaumont’s to make sure all the edges line up or something like that.
Tash801
We have the 300x300 in the shower. We went belga charcoal so hoping because it’s a darker tile you won’t notice the difference. Also I got told that you can pay a fee to Beaumont’s to make sure all the edges line up or something like that.

Thanks Tash, we have our appt with beamont tomorrow so will see what they can do
Rhani89
Tash801

Thanks Tash, we have our appt with beamont tomorrow so will see what they can do

How did you go with your tile appointment?
MrsAJ
Rhani89
Tash801

How did you go with your tile appointment?

ah not too good to be honest. When we got there we were told straight up that the tile we wanted was not allowed in wet areas and to our suprise we found out it wasnt a rectified edge that we thought it was. We were pressured into choosing a different tile, one we didnt really like and one that was far more expensive. We didnt sign. Feeling really deflated about it to be honest. Ive contacted my coral superviser and asked if its possible for us to have an appt with National Tiles and then decide. Im not sure if this is allowed. The tile we chose at Beaumont for the main is super matte and feels like sand paper under feet and for the huge cost, im just not entirely sold
Did you get your appointment at national tiles?
Tash801
Did you get your appointment at national tiles?

We were offered it but we found tiles at Beaumont we loved and ended up signing. Pheww finally i can relax about flooring!. We got our tiles variation back and are quite happy with it so now just waiting waiting waiting for colour variation
Things have gone quiet for now.
We have had all of our appointments (Tiles, colour and electrical). We have received the variations for tiles and electrical now just waiting on colour. We didnt have too much in there that we had to guess the prices. Just waiting on the cost for the concealed rangehood and changing the main bathroom glass to clear rather than frosted.

We have been with the private certifier now for 3 weeks. Waiting to find out off our pre site supervisor if we will stay with the private certifier or go through Council. What did people around this area do?

Just a waiting game for now. Its actually quite nice to take a breather and not be emailing 100 people back and forth and preparing for appointments
Rhani89
We have had all of our appointments (Tiles, colour and electrical). We have received the variations for tiles and electrical now just waiting on colour. We didnt have too much in there that we had to guess the prices. Just waiting on the cost for the concealed rangehood and changing the main bathroom glass to clear rather than frosted.

We have been with the private certifier now for 3 weeks. Waiting to find out off our pre site supervisor if we will stay with the private certifier or go through Council. What did people around this area do?

Just a waiting game for now. Its actually quite nice to take a breather and not be emailing 100 people back and forth and preparing for appointments

Hi Rhani,

They use private certifiers when it is a complying development. A complying development means that they can check everything off against state legislation, local council requirements, BASIX and Buidling Code of Australia. If there is anything that can not be ticked - e.g. 5 m set back rather than 6 m setback in Ballina shire - then it will go to council as a full DA. Following approval the council may continue as the certifying authority or delegate authority back to the private certifier (which is what happened in our case).

The upside of having a private certifier is that it will happen much faster than through council. Some believe the downside is that inspections carried out by a private certifier may not be as rigorous as a council building inspector because they have a private business at stake. I am not sure how true this is. We haven't had any issues thus far.

Well done on getting through to this stage. I remember the wait between colour selections and actually starting the build feeling like the longest wait of all.

Brad
Brad_2477
Rhani89

Hi Rhani,

They use private certifiers when it is a complying development. A complying development means that they can check everything off against state legislation, local council requirements, BASIX and Buidling Code of Australia. If there is anything that can not be ticked - e.g. 5 m set back rather than 6 m setback in Ballina shire - then it will go to council as a full DA. Following approval the council may continue as the certifying authority or delegate authority back to the private certifier (which is what happened in our case).

The upside of having a private certifier is that it will happen much faster than through council. Some believe the downside is that inspections carried out by a private certifier may not be as rigorous as a council building inspector because they have a private business at stake. I am not sure how true this is. We haven't had any issues thus far.

Well done on getting through to this stage. I remember the wait between colour selections and actually starting the build feeling like the longest wait of all.

Brad

Thanks so much Brad. Thats good information to know.Once we are notified of it being out of either PC or Council, how long usually until a start date is issued
Rhani89
Brad_2477
Rhani89

Hi Rhani,

Brad

Thanks so much Brad. Thats good information to know.Once we are notified of it being out of either PC or Council, how long usually until a start date is issued

Its variable - after DA approval you have to wait for a construction certificate to be issued. I think we were given a start date probably a week after the construction certificate was issued with the start date being about another month out from then. Our actual start date was the day before the date we were advised.
Most usually have to do a da. We had to. Our construction certificate only took a couple of days, and a couple of days for my start date. Which was a month after. It’s such a loooong wait!!! When my building support admin took over there was so much paperwork to sign and send back.
Tash801
Most usually have to do a da. We had to. Our construction certificate only took a couple of days, and a couple of days for my start date. Which was a month after. It’s such a loooong wait!!! When my building support admin took over there was so much paperwork to sign and send back.

We are with a pre site supervisor now, shes really good rebecca wright. Its our weekly update day today so hopefully we will know today if we are staying with the private certifier or going council. its been 3 weeks now. Still waiting on colour variations too. Its such a boring part of it haha
Looks like we might be staying with the private certifier. Just got our weekly call and was informed that its looking like we wont be going to council. The private certifier has been going back and forth with council about a few things and all is looking good. We will know by tomorrow or early next week. Also our colour variation is due back tomorrow
Rhani89
Looks like we might be staying with the private certifier. Just got our weekly call and was informed that its looking like we wont be going to council. The private certifier has been going back and forth with council about a few things and all is looking good. We will know by tomorrow or early next week. Also our colour variation is due back tomorrow

We’re into council
how long did everyone’s council approval take?
Rhani89
Rhani89

We’re into council
how long did everyone’s council approval take?

4 to 6 weeks is about right for BSC. I can't remember exactly but it was within that time frame for ours. It could be worse - I've heard that one of the central coast councils can take up to 3 months.
Related
28/02/2024
Air-Conditioning Installers/Suppliers NSW Central Coast

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Anybody know any good and reasonably priced Air conditioning contractors/companies that could install a ducted air conditioning system in the Central Coast NSW for a small…

5/04/2024
Slab for 424 sqm house in North Kellyville NSW

Building A New House

Petercurtis You able to contact the certifier and get a copy of your structural plans, if they are not in your contract. If your home was approved via CDC then they…

22/02/2024
Latch too far from the frame to grab

Windows & Doors

The OP has gone The latch and striker are definitely not aligned but there was no point trying to help the OP understand that. Hence the reason they are no longer with us.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum