Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Projects to do after New Home Handover

Page 3 of 3
StructuralBIMGuy
@Dr-Jekl
That is definitely a CFD Multiphysics Simulation app
begging to be developed , involving Airflow, Noise reduction, Heat transfer,etc
Photo, unit size, dBs, Orientation, more info?
Cheers
Chris

Hmm All I know is that its a 20kw daikin inverter system (house build hasnt started just yet
Dr-Jekl
You will need to check further
Daikin Systems specis here
Rated at 70dBs you might want to give further consideration to
1. Sleeping areas (you & your neighbours)
2. floor plan layout and building materials
3. Glazing Options
4. Relocating the unit away from outdoor areas
5.Sound insulation
6. Soft Furnishing
7.8. etc
OT Best smart phone Decibel meter apps to measure noise levels
Here is a CFD (Multiphysics) simulation for a 70dB noise source (vacuum cleaner) within your house
Also please consider properly Furnishing your homes after handover to deal with potentially noisy environments
within.....More to follow hth
CS199
What about doing the whole flooring post-handover, reading a few forums builders put a heavy mark up on flooring. Is it a good idea to get an independent tiler, carpet layer to do flooring post build

I’d install floorboards after handover next time because yes trades damage floorboards but also quality of laying you may have more say about if you can inspect more closely.
But have your flooring contractor come in and check slab floors are level at handover
You’ll know what you can fix with self leveller. In case something can’t be fixed without changes to doorways

If you get the builder builder to lay check over the flooring at PCI just like you do the paint. Closely, one area at a time.
The builder will get contractor to fix damage before handover as contractor wants to bet paid. After handover.... good luck.

Bathroom tiles you’d have to have done for CofO I think for waterproof certificates.
Carpets also are likely ok. I had some little areas of paint from touch up painting but could remove.
Illustrated
Floor Fixings
hth
Well now that I know that I definitely have my 100mm stoop/drop onto the alfresco and porch slab - I'm having a crack at doing my own deck.
So 85/90mm.. joists and 10mm decking timber is standard I think. I haven't really started researching as yet as to the full extent of whats involved, just a few sites and YouTubes.
Any suggestions on a nice darker timber. Not really a fan of the Merbau stuff from Bunnings.
Cheers
Ideally, joists should have Decking Blocks or adjustable bolts for ground clearance no water ponding
Calculate from the top eg
100mm (clearance) - 18mm (decking)- 20mm (ground blocks/packers)= 62mm joists? hth
I want to also install decking on my roofed Alfresco floor and I read on my certificate of occupancy that I need to leave 50mm minimum below weep holes for graded paving/soil. But I have just watched a YouTube video and they are installing the decking right at the height or almost covering them. See pictures below. I want to reduce as much as possible the step down to my Alfresco floor, that's why I want a higher decking. I have also attached some pictures of my Alfresco floor. Any recommendation?

This is the video:
https://youtu.be/QC5d3jDzySQ

Yoyohv
Unfortunatley what you didn't do was
"Plan your project before you start"
You have a 1c Stepdown
Try some low profile pressed top hat sections fixed to the concrete
as an alternate solution to Bearers & Joists
Cheers
Given that I would be installing a decking under a roof, can I placed it just under the weep holes? Just as the video/pictures ? I have seen many display homes with deckings installed like that.

symone
We have done our retaining wall, have the pool shell in already.
The builder is not doing the drive ways as their price was ridiculous.

One we have the house there is a lot to do. Trades will be doing 90% of the work. We need to finish off the pool and install a 6x4.5m gazebo , 80 square meters of composite decking, 143 square meters of drive way and concrete surrounds. Planting at the back of the block to screen out neighbours, rendered block wall out the front, outdoor kitchen to be installed and then there is turf and finally finishing touches.

Then there is the indoor stuff - WIR and wardrobe inserts, new office set out, epoxy flooring in garage and not much else. We let the builder deal with most things inside.

House is hopefully ours mid this year and all works to be completed by Christmas. Hopefully this is not too optimistic

Hi Symone , your post handover to-do list sounds a lot like what we are thinking...did you end up doing the epoxy flooring in the garage? What did this cost you pls?
Krishnakdr
The problem with to-do-lists, they don't get up dated
Here is a To-Do-List (3D BIM) MS Excel Project Planer That connects to Google Sheets and Updates Data
automatically...If you can think of anything else you might like added please let me know
Other Projects to follow
Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
@Krishnakdr
The problem with to-do-lists, they don't get up dated
Here is a To-Do-List (3D BIM) MS Excel Project Planer That connects to Google Sheets and Updates Data
automatically...If you can think of anything else you might like added please let me know
Other Projects to follow
Cheers
Chris

This looks pretty hi-tech structuralBIMGuy
I just use Trello to maintain my to-do lists --> i have three columns -- To do, doing and done! Simple!
Krishnakdr
Thanks,Hmmm...I might add some Type of dash board?
I'll check out Trello
Many new home Builders & Renovators are choosing to do projects after handover ie DIL8er
Add extra Ceiling and lighting features by DIY or DI4Me

Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
Many new home Builders & Renovators are choosing to do projects after handover ie DIL8er
Add extra Ceiling and lighting features by DIY or DI4Me

Cheers
Chris

I really want to do this in my media room - it has coffered ceilings
BrentandAllison I can't believe how many projects I am adding these ceiling features to

When you are at handover and ready to start, please post back with
1.A photo of the coffer ceiling pattern
2.Dimensions
3.Information & photo on your structural supports, ie Ceiling ,joists, roof members,etc
4.If you plan to DIY or DI4Me
Cheers
Chris
Krishnakdr
symone
We have done our retaining wall, have the pool shell in already.
The builder is not doing the drive ways as their price was ridiculous.

One we have the house there is a lot to do. Trades will be doing 90% of the work. We need to finish off the pool and install a 6x4.5m gazebo , 80 square meters of composite decking, 143 square meters of drive way and concrete surrounds. Planting at the back of the block to screen out neighbours, rendered block wall out the front, outdoor kitchen to be installed and then there is turf and finally finishing touches.

Then there is the indoor stuff - WIR and wardrobe inserts, new office set out, epoxy flooring in garage and not much else. We let the builder deal with most things inside.

House is hopefully ours mid this year and all works to be completed by Christmas. Hopefully this is not too optimistic

Hi Symone , your post handover to-do list sounds a lot like what we are thinking...did you end up doing the epoxy flooring in the garage? What did this cost you pls?

I have used this stuff before which is pretty good and easy to DIY

https://www.bunnings.com.au/garage-fact ... l_p0313293
Related
7/02/2024
Anyone using Bellriver bulder and doing the turnkey projects

Building A New House

Anyone using Bellriver bulder and doing the turnkey projects

10/06/2024
Doing driveway after handover

Building A New House

Hi All, We are finalising our plans & preliminary tender with Metricon in NSW Central Coast. We need to go through DA process rather than CDC. We're debating whether…

1/04/2024
Unsigned variations after a new home is completed

Building A New House

Any advice on a builder in NSW who is demanding an extra 22000k after the house is completed and contract paid in full .Standard HIA contract. Never received a variation.…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum