Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Rawson build in Cameron Park

Page 3 of 4
Should have added this in the last post

So we should be having PCI this week and handover 2 weeks later, BUT.... The flooring is out of stock.

The supplier offered us an 'upgrade' which had longer boards (is this a very desirable thing?) but they were slightly different in tone/colour. You'll probably roll your eyes when you see the photo, but they look different enough in person that I didn't want them. It would change the whole look of the place. We like the variations in the ones we chose whereas the others have a more uniform appearance.

Because of this, flooring won't go in for 4 weeks and then another week to get the skirting boards on and painted. No damages paid to us because it's a supplier delay and we had the option to get different ones in sooner, which sucks, but I can't look at floorboards I don't like for the next 10+ years and wish every day I'd just waited.

The SS is being great and getting everything else possible done, including a pre-pci walk through so he can get started on the little things we pick up before flooring goes in. Hopefully it will be a matter of floors/carpenters/painter/keys in quick succession.

So: the top one is the upgrade, the bottom is the one we chose originally.

CG Scardycat
So we should be having PCI this week and handover 2 weeks later, BUT.... The flooring is out of stock.

The supplier offered us an 'upgrade' which had longer boards (is this a very desirable thing?) but they were slightly different in tone/colour. You'll probably roll your eyes when you see the photo, but they look different enough in person that I didn't want them. It would change the whole look of the place. We like the variations in the ones we chose whereas the others have a more uniform appearance.

Because of this, flooring won't go in for 4 weeks and then another week to get the skirting boards on and painted. No damages paid to us because it's a supplier delay and we had the option to get different ones in sooner, which sucks, but I can't look at floorboards I don't like for the next 10+ years and wish every day I'd just waited.

The SS is being great and getting everything else possible done, including a pre-pci walk through so he can get started on the little things we pick up before flooring goes in. Hopefully it will be a matter of floors/carpenters/painter/keys in quick succession.

So: the top one is the upgrade, the bottom is the one we chose originally.

I can see why you don’t want the upgrade. Your chosen one is more rustic looking whereas the upgrade is more of a brand new floor look so yeah I would agree with you that it would change the look. It still amazes me that they run out of this stuff knowing in advance that you are building and that you have chosen this floor. Why haven’t they ordered your and put it to one side. 🙈
Can I ask who your site supervisor is? We are getting dale allegedly.
You've got to be careful with the longer boards too, some just repeat the pattern twice on the same board which you don't see on a small sample.
We have Dale! I like him. He seems to care about the finishes and the outcome of the build, although he's not a proactive communicator. He's efficient and he's done a good job so far. I'd like to know more about what's booked etc but since tradies seen to view bookings as a suggestion rather than a commitment, it would probably drive me crazy expecting then to turn up on time.

I have no idea why they don't plan these things, surely they had ample opportunity to put ours aside before now. Frustrating but there's nothing I can do, so I just have to shrug and go on with life so I don't go mad.

Salfield what are you building?

CG Scardycat
Salfield what are you building?

Hi mate. We are building a Chifley 42 mark ii. We are a bit used to a lack of communication at this point so dale will be no exception by the sounds of it. As long as he’s doing a good job I’ll be more than happy with that.
He's a good guy. He went to the house today to measure a window for me so I could order a blind.

CG Scardycat
He's a good guy. He went to the house today to measure a window for me so I could order a blind.

Cheers mate. Good to know.
Today, I got a bit of a surprise in my inbox: our final occupancy certificate! A bit strange since I thought we had to get the driveway and retaining walls done as part of the conditions in the CDC, but I'll let it slide if they will.

We're also having our PCI on 10/9, although it will still be without half the flooring and with painting incomplete. I've had a slight disagreement with the site supervisor about the position of these robe hooks - I think they're in a dumb spot (and not the plane we had on the plans) and too close together, but he tells me the distance between them is standard, and to move them now would set us back even more because of the number of trades needed. All in all I let it go and rage-bought a stool for the bathroom so I can supervise bath time in style.

Now the ongoing saga of Who And How Will These Retaining Walls Ever Get Built. I swear, learning the NSW SEPP section 2.27 and 2.28 retaining walls bit is pushing out information I need for my job and, you know, life.

PS -stool from ALDI, it's officially a side table but I figure solid pine can tolerate me. I got the black one.

We had our pretendy-PCI yesterday. Everything went well - there's one downlight not working and a patch needed in the eaves that they've known about since the eaves went up, but otherwise, all we need is some flooring, a painter and a good scrub and we'll be good to go.

The flooring is booked in for 20/9, and the carpenter and painter should be there the next day to start their little bits. Our site supervisor is great and is trying to get our isolation switch for the oven changed from white to a black one, since we didn't have any idea it was being installed and we paid to change all the other power points and light switches to black Saturn ones to match the black glass splashback.

Handover is now booked for 5/10 so I've optimistically organised furniture to be delivered on Monday 8/10. We can spend the weekend putting up blinds and bringing over little bits from the current house.

Annoyingly I'm sat on my bum wasting annual leave, which I booked a year ago for moving now, and I won't be able to get time off when we actually do have handover. Oh well, there are worse things.

After a long wait (4 weeks, but it felt like ages), our flooring is finally in! I've only got ** pics from outside but I love love love it in person. I'm so glad we waited. 2 weeks tomorrow until we have the keys!

We wanted to get the concreting and retaining walls done before we moved in, to save on dirt/kids getting involved, but apparently the hardest thing for a concreter to do is return phone calls! We're just going to move in and finish paying rent, and the concreter can work around us. It probably makes more sense to do it this way because we wouldn't be able to drive a truck on the new driveway for awhile, and I can't see us carrying furniture up and down our little mountain. This way the truck can back up to the garage and I can just clean a lot.

Looking great guys. 👍
Looks good cant wait to see all your final pics. Congrats
Two more sleeps! The bank has sent the final payment, and honestly at this stage unless the roof caves in we're taking it on Friday!

The painter still hasn't finished, hope he's there today smashing out the last few bits.

Handover day!

The house was cleaned really well, which I didn't expect - I've read a lot of horror stories about very light cleans being done, but this was very thorough.

We were given a $200 gift voucher for a website and our SS gave us a card and a box of chocs, which was so sweet.

The house is so lovely. We hadn't been inside since the flooring went down so it was great to see it in action. Very few things to pick on - one plaster join is a bit wordy but the SS is organising the painter to come back and fix it up.

We spent today moving all the new things I'd been hoarding and some of our other belongings. Unfortunately it's absolutely pelting down so it's a mud pit, and we lost enthusiasm a little bit. Tomorrow is still wet but we'll crack on. The kids' rooms need to be painted on the colours they chose and we have blinds to hang. I want to get done patio bolts on the stacker doors asap, but really the main thing I'm excited about is decorating my daughter's room. She's never had a room - she sleeps with me! - so I'm looking forward to giving her somewhere lovely.

Ok, blah blah, I'll give you what you came for: pics! More to come as I get more done. Forgive the yellow light, we bought cheap bulbs

Congratulations.. must be an awesome feeling!
Congrats guys looks awesome. Very jealous. Enjoy. 🥂🍺
Hi,
Can you tell us what your tile and cupboard/vanity colours are?

edit: oh, and your carpet too please

We are thinking of doing something similar so it's great to see you've done it.

Your laundry bench is much better than the current offering. Its only 900 wide which includes the sink.
You colour scheme is awesome. Love your kitchen. I'm watching so I remember to come back and check.
Related
24/02/2024
Building in Vineyard with Rawson

Building A New House

Just started the Build process for Chifley 42 with Rawson homes, will keep you all posted with the Build progress.

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum