Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Need help choosing a house design

Page 3 of 3
algernon
Quite a decent plan, and works much better with your orientation than some of the project plans posted earlier.

GIven their westerly outlook, there's the potential for Bed 4 and the study to get quite warm in summer afternoons - your landscaping plan should be able to help with this with appropriate screening/shading to keep those windows out of direct afternoon sun (and it may not be such an issue for you depending on your use of those rooms). The garage will also get quite hot - make sure that the internal garage walls are insulated.

My only real niggle re orientation is that the alfresco might block off a bit too much of the winter sun from the family area - if the family room could stretch further to the north (you could compensate by making it a bit narrower and maybe extending the alfresco to the east if needed) then you'd get some lovely winter sun in there.

I'm a bit concerned about the placement of bed 3 between those two wet areas (the ensuite and master bath), especially with sharing the wet wall of the bathroom. That's going to be a bedroom full of plumbing noises. Could you swap the location of bed 3 and the bathroom and laundry? That would also avoid splitting your wet areas, which can also help reduce costs (and be more water and energy efficient, depending upon where your hot water service is located).

For the powder room, that's actually a good internal arrangement - but an internal powder room isn't ideal. You'll need to consider sound issues, especially as mechanical ventilation will be required and it's adjacent to a bedroom. I appreciate that it fits into the plan as-is, and might be a necessary compromise (along with internal wall insulation) - unless you were willing to realign the master suite to create the room you'd need along the south wall.

Thanks for the excellent write up. I'll talk to my builder about these changes.
Related
17/04/2024
Choosing easier lot for extension/renovation.

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thanks for the reply. Had a look at the suggested lot and found other problem on easement, which i will asked in separate thread.

26/04/2024
Choosing lighting pendants that will comply with standards

Lighting + Lighting Design

I am trying to find lighting for kitchen, dining areas but looking online, I don’t know if there are specific details I should be looking at to make sure any lights I…

27/09/2023
Design Puzzle Help

Outdoor Living

G'day I'm trying to put in some privacy screening on my rental rooftop on a tight budget. I've already invested about $500 in the supplies for this. The issue is…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum