Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building our dream home- Fairhaven Queenscliff in Riverwalk

Page 3 of 4
OK so its been a while since i last updated, sorry but ive been busy with uni.
So we now have everything approved and actually have started on site this tuesday just gone.

They have started with a site cut, electricity to site but seem to be missing the water taps but im not complaining as they have started.
Our site supervisor seems to be a lovely man and was great to chat to on the phone so i cant complain.
the only thing that worries me is that we have a 320 day build and we add an extra 14 days per independent inspection and we will have about 5 so that puts us at a 390 day build meaning we probably wont be in at this time next year
Ok so it might be about time i added some photos.
We went to site today and they were installing the piers ready for boxing up for slab pour.

SO since my last post about the screw piles, nothing has happened.
The concreter has been held up at another site so hasn't managed to get to our block to box up for our pre-pour inspection.
I will say that both the SS and CRO have been great with communication and updating on how things are going.

For me I would prefer they took their time to do the slab properly the first time than rush it and have problems down the track.
Especially since the slab will be having a 5 tone fish tank on it, I would hate to set up the tank and have slab issues causing the tank to fail and crack.
Well what can I say other than I hate Melbourne's weather.
If the weather could just give me 7 days of sunshine i would really appreciate it.
The constant rain every few days hasn't allowed the block to dry out enough to lay the slab.
Sure there are others with waffle slabs going up all around us but the engineers wont allow our slab to be laid in the current weather.
Now don't get me wrong I would love a slab and kinda wish it would just get done but i slab is engineered to hold a 12 foot and 7 tonne fish tank in the meals area on the ground floor so it needs to be spot on.
If there is any movement in the slab the fish tank stand might twist and move which will crack the tank and thousand of dollars will be wasted. NOT something I want to happen so I sit and wait for the sun to come out and bright up my days.
Its not looking likely next week with a 70% chance of rain every day as well.

SO we finally have some movement on the block.
The weather cleared up and the concreter has been able to begin boxing up for the slap pour.
If we are lucky and the weather holds out and the pre-pour inspection goes well we will have a slab on tueday afternoon
Good luck for slab pour!

Must say I want to see your fish tank... it sounds absolutely amazing! I live vicariously through others with fish tanks; I'd just kill them so am not allowed one.
PVBuild
Good luck for slab pour!

Must say I want to see your fish tank... it sounds absolutely amazing! I live vicariously through others with fish tanks; I'd just kill them so am not allowed one.

LOL i couldn't live without my fish tank. I also have 4 green tree frogs.
This is what the tank is kinda going to look like when its done.
the photo below if a freiends tank in the beginning stages.

The slab went done on Wednesday the 20th of September after finally having enough good weather to be able to form upThe concrete guys were really lovely and let the kids write their names in the alfresco with a nail. Whenever they see me around the estate they all say hi and are really friendly.

So the framing has begun and is due to be finished October 10th, we are being held up the the grand final weekend but hey its grand final weekend gotta let the boys watch the footy.

Our new site supervisor Zach is awesome, he's advised up that the second story will be getting put up next week with the roof finalised the week after.

Darbecca are great as well, and i highly recommend them. They picked up heaps with the pre-pour inspection but the concreter's also hadn't the form work. They made it really easy for me as a owner over the last 2 months especially when the inspection was put off about 7 times due to weather issues. heres hoping that the weather is nicer to us now and we can catch up and be closer to lock up by mid november.

SO the build is coming along nicely, the framers are still on site getting everything done. They have started upstairs and the garage as well. It hard to describe but the house looks so big and at time still a touch to small as well. I wonder if it because its just frame at this stage and not finished walls that make it feel small.
One of the things i like the most is seeing the 5th bedroom upstairs as until now it was only a paper option that we chose and we had put a lot of trust in fairhaven that the idea would come together and look good.

Now we have the difficult decision on who get which room.

I have seen yours progressing as we drive past, its good to see they are getting a move one now!
Jeffc42
I have seen yours progressing as we drive past, its good to see they are getting a move one now!

Yes its finally coming along nicely.
Where are you driving past from??
So the house is coming along nicely now.
We have had the frame inspected on thursday and there are a few things that need to be done but only minor stuff that's been fixed or will be done next week. the gutters and facias are done the roofing is starting next week.

Michael (site super) is doing a great job getting everything sorted.
Fairhaven in general have been great keeping me up to date and informed of everything.
Im beyond happy with my house and the build to date.
We are in stage 14, down on Gellibrand so we drove past yours on the way there
SO the roofing is done, the evaporative cooler and solar hot water heater is in. The are currently completing the electrical rough in which is awesome. The bricks have been delivers ready for that to start soon to.

The scaffolding is down so they finalise the upstairs windows.
I cant wait for the sisilation to be wrapped around the outside as well.
Im getting super excited about the progress going on at the house.
We should be at lockup stage before christmas
Well the build slowed down a bit while waiting for the frame of the windows to be replaced after they developed mould.
the manufactures have attended site in the last week and replaced the windows and the house has been wrapped.

the more the house is completed the bigger it begins to look if that makes sense.
Awesomely with the wrapping on the house doesn't look to dark on the inside.
I'm beginning to see how everything will be and im getting super excited about the layout and finally owning the house.
We have heaps of other stuff to do to the house yet and heaps of projects to start planning but its exciting.
SO i figured that it was about time that I update my build.
Sorry in advance that this is going to be picture heavy.
So lots have happened the roof went on and the house was wrapped.
They also started the bricking before christmas. Now the brickies are slower than expected but they are doing an amazing job.
The bricks are so straight and the mortar work is so clean and lovely.

I would rather they keep the slow pace and get the great work they are doing.

They have also done the plastering inside which looks fab. The house looks so good right now and im begining to get earger to see it completed and move in. I dont feel like i should of changed anything layout wise as it feels awesome to walk through. SO here are the pictures, please ignore the tape measure in some picture ive been trying to pre-decorate rooms and see what furniture will fit and what i want to change.

Kitchen and meals area

front door and hallway

stairwell

theatre room

ensuite (i think)

family room

looking into the laundry, toilet on left and hand basin on the right. the door near the slider is a walk in pantry

Looking into the bulters pantry. the cutout we hope to turn into some sort of wine rack

Kids bedroom

main bedroom walk through robe

upstairs hallway to kids rooms

main bedroom looking to the rumpus and kids hallway (opening on left is linen cupboard)

Possibly kids rumpus room (upstairs lounge)

main bedroom looking at ensuite and robes

one of the back bedrooms but this one has walk in robe. (if you look through the doorway on the left you can see the extra bedroom we added)

So i dont really know which room is which about but ive tried to label them.
This week just gone they have installed the stairs. We go the wooden stairs upgrade as part of the promo pack when we put down our deposit. They look awesome and cant wait to see them finished off and unwrapped. The wood still needs to be stained and the uprights are metal rods

Before stairs

IN the photo above you can just see the NBN box under the stairs. This space is going to get climate control and become a server room for my husband and all his IT stuff.

So thats where we currently are. It been pretty awesome to see it come along so far.
I'll finish off with the view from our balcony because i love it.

OK so better update again.
While it might seem like not much has happened there has been a fair bit of work going on.
The brickies are still going, they got held up by the chrsitmas new year break and waiting on scaffolding to be delivered.
Now they just have window sills to brick and the alfresco to finish which should be done within the next week.
After that the eves will go on and then the house will be cleaned and the site cleaned up and scaffolding to be removed.

I have learnt that there is a fine art to bricking a double story and keeping the walls level and square across the height and span of the house. It is actually a lot hard than it looks when you drive past and what them work. Darbecca said the brick work is some of the cleanest and neatest work they have seen this year which is awesome.

Inside the cabinets and bench tops are in and we couldn't be happier with our choices. The skirting are in and the plaster and carpenter are back to finish of the rooms ready for painting.

And before you ask, yes the plaster was done around christmas time but when the temp ladder came down there where areas that needed fixing as well as all the small dings that occur when moving stuff in and out of the house (like cabinets). The waterproofing is completed (well i think it is cause something there but it may still need another coat, not sure cause im not water proofer)

We are now waiting on the painting and flooring to go in, the electrician and the final fit out and we will be done.
We are so close now the wait it killing me. It will be worth it to get our house when its done.
Hi Bergman58,
Wondering how you are going with your build with Fairhaven? We are considering building a modified Iluka with them and would like to know if you are happy with the completed product?
Hi,
The build is going well. We are about 2 months from handover.
I'm really picky because i have OCD so can get very particular about some thing especially line being straight.
I am very happy with the quality of work we have gotten. If there have been any small errors they fix them right away.
I would definitely recommenced them as a builder.
If i were to build again i would choose fairhaven again.
I found they very easy to work with and as long as you have realistic expectation you will be.
I do recommend you get a private inspector like Darbecca to do a few quality inspections as you go. Not because there were problems but because it gives you piece of mind and make the trades work extra hard to make sure its up to scratch.
Good luck
Thanks!

This is our third build and our second build left us a little scarred so we have been a bit apprehensive in going with another mass production builder.

Be sure to post a few pics when you have the time. I'd love to see what you have created!

Good luck and hope handover comes quickly.
Related
22/11/2023
Reviews on Fairhaven homes

Building A New House

We are looking to do a KDR with fairhaven homes, Have seen plenty of good reviews about them pre construction and plenty of negative reviews about them during contruction…

3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum