Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

A J B Fairmont Build 2016

Page 3 of 5
Thanks MJT (lets hope so) & Charlibear
Congrats on your slab, looks really good, good luck with soil removal, it's exciting seeing the block revealed and your yard ideas being realised!
Been MIA have been quiet stressed for a few reasons;

1 Finance, were not told how our loan would work from the start and at each turn we hit a stumbling block of new requests which has dragged out for nearly 3 months, beyond annoyed but is getting sorted and should be across the line by next week!
2. Soil Removal, no one wants to collect soil in this weather + it weighs more, the joys of building in winter
have had some positive news about this just now so fingers crossed!
3. Been stressed about a colour we had chosen so it was off to Laminex Group today and wala we have a new colour. Supreme Kitchens are fine with us changing it so an email has been sent to Fairmont. I realise they will likely charge us for it but I had the colour wrong and already feel the stress release!! Should have listened to my instincts and done something about it sooner!
4. Didn't realise our driveway would be on as much of an incline as it appears it will be
sales guy said it would be about a 40cm incline but now that I have analysed the footing report realise it will be more like 70cm + wish I had of known how to read that damn report earlier. We did talk about pushing our home back on the block by 1/2mtr to 1 but sales guy said we will loose too much backyard which is a decent size compared to many homes in our area. Just wish I had done 1/2 mtr further back! I assume we would have needed to go back to council etc which would have delayed us even more

That being said I wish I had gone to the Laminex Group in the first place, I found them to be so useful and didn't realise they have an awesome showroom with lots of set ups to look at! I feel that so many people on this forum have done so much research before they lock in their decisions that I am disappointed that I didn't. I can honestly say that I am happy now with our choices.

Lesson STOP Stressing so much or I will end up in an institution!!!

I will post a heap of pictures next of our choices
Exterior Selections

Render - Mountain Shadow
Brick - Austral Muscat Grey
LHS colour - Dune for Facia, Madison Panel lift Roller door with Traditional Double windows as top panel (to let light in the garage)
Middle - Wallaby for Roof & Gutters + front door (they wouldn't let us do Monument apparently it's too dark a colour for warranty reasons)
RHS - Monument for Down Pipes and 1 x post for Alfresco
Portico Tiles / Exterior Floor Sills - Odyssey Rock

Brick Muscat Grey, Dune, Wallaby & Monument

Brick & Wallaby - surprised how different it can look in all sorts of ways, sometimes it looks grey other time a warm browner colour

Brick with Monument

Brick with Dune
Forgot windows

White Birch
Gorgeous selections!! Love love love the brick!!

GJ Gardner Modified Coolum 277
viewtopic.php?t=83643
Exterior Front Garden

Now that we are aware if our driveway incline we found a few homes with some inspiration ideas;

Thinking of doing retaining like this so that the above section is flat

Thinking of doing stairs at this stage kind of like this
The Kitchen

Our inspiration colour wise came from this;

Kitchen overhead cupboards and Fridge panel - Formica Warm White Gloss
Wall Tile - Concept Ice (has fine soft grey lines running across the tile)
Bench Top - Laminex Pure Mineralstone Natural Finish
Lower Cupboards & Island Drawers - Formica Asphalt
Island Bench will have waterfall ends

Picture includes our choice of wall colour - Feather White, Ceilings will be half strength (they told me at FBI they don't do 1/2 strength anymore due to coverage I nearly cried and they said they would do it this time for me yay!!)

Colours without flash

With flash

I would say this is a true representation of the colour Asphalt, sorry not perfectly clear

We have ordered 3 of these lights as pendants over the Island Bench the top is wood, we simply fell in love with them

Originally we chose Gentle Beige for most of our areas but I kept thinking it threw yellow so after stressing for way to long I went to Laminex Group to see a larger sample of it and lucky we did as it didn't work for me. Laminex Group were fantastic would recommend them in a heart beat for helping to choose selections I told the girl I wanted to hug her!!
Bathroom & Ensuite

After looking at many peoples choices I feel like little Miss Neutral / Plain Jane, some peoples combination of tiles etc are very nice. We simply looked at the tiles in the standard range and went that looks nice, wall & floor tile done lol, we both agreed on the same so decision made!

We decided to tile to the ceiling in both ensuite and main bathroom for maintenance reasons (not including toilet areas)

We chose Matang Latte Gloss for the walls and Matt for the floors

Benchtop - Duropal Glacial Storm
Cupboards - Warm White but velour finish (sorry I only have the gloss sample)

Laundry

I assume we chose the Matang Latte Matt Floor tile

Wall Tile - Subway Tile Plain White Gloss
Cupboards - Warm White velour finish
Bench Top - Laminex Alaskan Natural Finish (A originally wanted this as the bench top in the kitchen but I didn't sleep well that night and knew I had to change it) I told him he could have it in the laundry as a compromise also said he can start doing the laundry for it but I don't like my chances of this happening on a regular occasion

In general

Wall colour Feather White saw this colour in the Fairmont Homes Brooklyn show home at Penfield and felt calm instantly, something I may need after this build is complete lol

We have chosen to have white plantation shutters in the main bedroom, kitchen, family & dining area

Show Home Pics
Wall colour - Feather White
Ceiling - 1/2 strength Feather White
We have also chosen a decorative cornice for our Entry, Home Theatre, Kitchen, Family, Dining & Activity area.

Hence why I really want Plantation Shutters

Carpet in Bedrooms, WIR & Home Theatre
Redbook Endless Charm

Activity Cupboard & Book Shelf & our WIR cupboards
Treble Beech Naturale by Burnie Timbers
(larger piece has more of the darker colour through it which we think will work nicely with the Asphalt we have in the kitchen) also planning to do a feature wall on the Activity wall / Family area wall may do a shade lighter than Asphalt

Our main floor tile - no idea what it's called but it's very neutral with a warm tone

At this stage we have chosen these roll down blinds TBC at Measure;
Bottom left for Family Sliding Door split can't see in can see out TBC
Bottom right for Home Theatre & Laundry (block outs) wanted Laundry block out as our dog normally sleeps there but wakes early if there is lots of light but I am thinking she isn't going to like sleeping so far away from us so debating to do can't see in but can see out ones for that area?
Darker colour plan is for Bedrooms 2, 3 & 4 they are can't see in but can see out. When we fill those rooms we will add a material blind.

We have also chosen wooden white Venetians for the main bathroom and toilet

Our floor plan

We went to Carpet Court and managed to decide on our Carpet, Main Floor Tiles & Blinds, we were lucky to sit down with Charmaine from the the Gepps Cross Store, she was fantastic and was very experienced. A believes we got a good deal.
Update on Block

Slab is looking good, there is no water sitting on the slab except on the wet areas, have been told by others that our footings contractor Henry is one of the best in the industry and his work shows, we were very lucky to score him!

They have placed gravel etc on the driveway, still waiting for SA Water to move our water meter after saying it would be about 8 weeks after months of hassling them that they put it in the wrong spot and now get told it won't be till the end of July, just as well Fairmont didn't need it moved before construction!

We have noticed inspection points around our home so looks like sewer pipes are all connected.

Still need to have soil removed, fingers crossed we have action this week on that as it won't be long and our framework will be delivered. We are lucky that Fairmont haven't complained and I only think that is because it's winter and no one can work with the rain and wet weather to remove soil so I have been told, normally you get 3 days to remove it all.

heatherkam
Congrats on your slab, looks really good, good luck with soil removal, it's exciting seeing the block revealed and your yard ideas being realised!

Thanks Heather, we think we have the yard all planned out apart from what we are planting.

Can't wait for the soil to be removed and our back cut then I can breath!!
Take Care!

charlibear
Gorgeous selections!! Love love love the brick!!

viewtopic.php?t=83643

Thanks Charlibear, I feel good about our choices now
Take Care!
Lovely selections, we were looking at the same pendant lights though with the white instead of timber, they look smart
hears hoping for good weather this week!
heatherkam
Lovely selections, we were looking at the same pendant lights though with the white instead of timber, they look smart
hears hoping for good weather this week!

Thanks Heather, we toyed up between the wood and the stone, the stone probably would have blended with the kitchen to tie in with the Asphalt but there is something about the wood that I can't help but warm to. We are struggling to find our pendant lights for the bedroom either side of the bed, A likes what is in the show home and i'm looking for something that hasn't been invented yet
I really like the size of the light for a pendant and happy they had different top sections to suit a range of people.
Fingers crossed for both of us on the weather front and everything else!!! Take Care
Haha aren't we all looking for something unique! Apparently de lights have a big sale on, I want to check them out too just for a comparison to beacon. You might find something there for your bedroom
heatherkam
Haha aren't we all looking for something unique! Apparently de lights have a big sale on, I want to check them out too just for a comparison to beacon. You might find something there for your bedroom

I have looked at de lights as well they have a few different things but nothing we could both agree on yet, we are getting our portico lights from there, they are on sale till end of August so I won't rush to order them as I don't want to pick them up anytime soon. Thanks
Interior secrets or Milan direct have beautiful pendant lights

viewtopic.php?t=83643
charlibear
Interior secrets or Milan direct have beautiful pendant lights

viewtopic.php?t=83643

Thank you charlibear, I didn't even think to look online I don't trust things will get to me (bad experiences in the past) however A orders stuff all the time so I will get him to order the lights if I find something. Appreciate the ideas! Thanks
We have had a delivery!! Frame & Bricks have arrived over the last 2 days

One man operating all of this wow!!

I feel like taking a broom to the block and sweeping my slab!!

Austral Bricks - Muscat Grey
Related
21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

20/07/2023
Building Site Access - Victoria - New Build

General Discussion

For reference, this is the Austlii reference. My take on this is, that they would be breaking the law denying access to a homeowner in Victoria, or their agent from having…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum