Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Hudson Homes

Page 3 of 18
Awesome it all sounds lovely
Yes i totally agree the matt black handles would be a cool feature
Ooo I really wanted the platinum carpet too it was so lovely and lush but we justified if we have kids soon anyway ply we have a dog, it will most likely get destroyed lol so we saved the money instead and will upgrade to awesome plush carpet maybe once kids are big enough to respect and not destroy things lol but i wanted it so bad!
Awesome pricing and pictures sounds lovely! Don't you just love the sparkle to the Astral benches?
If we didn't have the voucher we couldn't have justified it. And it still depends on what estimating comes back with for us. We're a childless couple and if all goes to plan no kids for 3-5 years. This house is only for the next 5-10 years then will hopefully be used as an investment property so we thought getting something durable would be best. Plus we have a dog that likes to come in with everyone, so hopefully a good carpet will wear much better.

The Astral is lovely! I dare say if we didn't want a black bench we would have put it in the kitchen too
Interesting that they now have a different range of stone tops.. We have smart stone..

Is the carpet your getting solution dyed nylon or polypropylene and do you know who supplies the carpet?
They still have the Smartstone, and that's their standard, but when we mentioned black without a sparkle she showed us the Ceaserstone. Not sure if this is a recent thing or not.

The platinum is a polyester.

The silver a dyed nylon.

Looking at the pros and cons of both now but I really do prefer the poly. The nylon feels so much cheaper
No no no no... Poly is terribly cheap! Steer clear of it.. it is the carpet that is pretty much every display home, and sure it looks and feels great at the start but it flattens out very quick and did you notice all the foot marks that it holds? It is very cheap compared to the solution dyed Nylon, I would suggest going to a few carpet shops (not carpet call) and get their advice on carpet types, id be surprised if ANY pointed you toward poly.
Here is our plan VS the standard plan..

Lexi64
Awesome thanks for the tips jhiace
ooo your kitchen sounds so beautiful
lol yeah i know it literally does the forever I feel like we have come so far and done so much and yet who knows when the actual build will start its crazy!

Hi AM4400
we are building up at Mckeachies run in Aberglasslyn but we are moving from the central coast. What design are you building?

Hi Lexi64, we are buliding Saffron 23
i am starting to get very disappointed with Hudson Homes. Its over 6 months now still the house is not completed. The construction started in Aug 2015. The slab, frame, outside walls were done very quickly. It took a bit longer for the roof. but we were ok with it. but after that. the work had slow down soo much that is really unbearable now.

Guys just letting you know, please don't relay on the estimate time they give you. as when it comes to the construction stage. they go very slow.
AM4400
i am starting to get very disappointed with Hudson Homes. Its over 6 months now still the house is not completed. The construction started in Aug 2015. The slab, frame, outside walls were done very quickly. It took a bit longer for the roof. but we were ok with it. but after that. the work had slow down soo much that is really unbearable now.

Guys just letting you know, please don't relay on the estimate time they give you. as when it comes to the construction stage. they go very slow.

What end date did they give you? and have they provided any "reasons" as to why so many delays?

Luckily we're not worried about timeline, as long as they do a good job, as we aren't paying rent. I can imagine for those with existing mortgage's or rent it would be infuriating.
It's not far off 12 months for us for our initial contact with them.. Our plans aren't even in council yet.. What's their explanation for the slow build and who is your site supervisor?
@ Lizard94, First they said it will be done by first qtr of 2016. then they said End of Feb. Now they are saying 6 more weeks. They still haven't given an exact End Date
Also, they are not so clear about the delays. everytime i ask them, they give a reason of heavy rainfall. But there are some weeks in between i see, even though its nice and sunny, there is not a single work done on the house for almost 2 weeks in a row.

@ Jhiace - They didn't provide us those details.even though we asked for it soo many times. we are in touch with a lady from Hudson homes who is answering to our questions. I can't blame her as looks like she just does the admin work there.
I personally would ask for a completion date. A fixed one. All builders (I think - I know Hudson do) have it written into the contract is completion isn't done on XYZ a date you will be paid $XX per day. This is what gives them incentive to complete. Also in there is how many wet days etc they can have to extend this - usually about 20-30.

Hudson prides themselves on their workmanship and communication. As said in previous post, you can contact the CEO to chat who will sort it out.
lizard94
I personally would ask for a completion date. A fixed one. All builders (I think - I know Hudson do) have it written into the contract is completion isn't done on XYZ a date you will be paid $XX per day. This is what gives them incentive to complete. Also in there is how many wet days etc they can have to extend this - usually about 20-30.

Hudson prides themselves on their workmanship and communication. As said in previous post, you can contact the CEO to chat who will sort it out.

i had asked them soo many times for the exact completion date. i even told them, i am renting at the moment and i have to give a couple of weeks notice to the agent before leaving the current property. but the lady states she can only give a rough estimate for now. she said - she will notify me about the exact date when they have scheduled for council inspection to come in and inspect for Occupation certificate.
This clearly show that i wont have enough time left by then to notify the agent and we will end up paying extra weeks rent

We were relaxed before as we knew Hudson Homes have a fix time frame. i will check my contract if there is a exact End Date provided. I will also have to check how many wet days they are allowed. I am checking the progress on a weekly basis and i am pretty sure they have exceeded 30 days.

You are right, they do Pride themselves. and that was the reason we decided to go with Hudson Homes. We were very happy in the start. However, it changed dramatically specially since November 2015.
For now we are just waiting for them to hand over the keys. i don't want them to rush for completion and do a bad job. after all its my first home and i will be leaving there.
Once i get my house keys i am going to speak with their CEO. Atleast this way in future anyone else will not have to suffer like the we are now
I would hit them up about it. What she is trying to give you is the handover date - where they give keys to you. This can be a bit last minute and hard to know a date ahead of time.

When the build started from what I've been told, you should have gotten a completion date (they obviously will overestimate that) but it should be the absolute longest it will take. I'm really surprised if you haven't gotten this - without it they can drag it on as long as they want without any ramifications.

Every time I've gotten up them they have gone above and beyond to fix everything and make me happy. I would ask to speak to this girls manager and try and get some firmer answers. Keep in my builders are used to this - they aren't going to punish you for it, and if they do it's at their detriment. If you wait until after completion all you will get is a standard "oops, sorry...I didn't know".
lizard94
I would hit them up about it. What she is trying to give you is the handover date - where they give keys to you. This can be a bit last minute and hard to know a date ahead of time.

When the build started from what I've been told, you should have gotten a completion date (they obviously will overestimate that) but it should be the absolute longest it will take. I'm really surprised if you haven't gotten this - without it they can drag it on as long as they want without any ramifications.

Every time I've gotten up them they have gone above and beyond to fix everything and make me happy. I would ask to speak to this girls manager and try and get some firmer answers. Keep in my builders are used to this - they aren't going to punish you for it, and if they do it's at their detriment. If you wait until after completion all you will get is a standard "oops, sorry...I didn't know".

Thank you. that's a valid point. i will try and contact them asap
That's ok! I hate confrontation, especially when I know the person I'm speaking with is just the face not the reason behind it. Have quickly learned with the build I have to be a bit of a witch and just enforce what I want.
That's not good enough AM4400, Do not put up with that. Who at Hudson is your client liaison person? The first 3 people we really dealt with in Hudson (excluding Alice) and including an executive manager were all sacked! So not been a dream run for us either, but i am finding the lack of communication off putting. I know they are new but it seems like no one or at least very few people there actually know what they are doing, this should improve with time and experience.

Definately check your contract, there's a few clauses in it that protect you. How have you found the overall build quality to date? Many issues you've already spotted?

I spoke with Hunter Water this morning who advised our plans were stamped on Friday 12th February and picked up personally by Hudson Homes, I emailed our CLO this morning and am yet to hear anything about council submission.. Shouldn't be any delay with that as far as i can gather..

EDIT, Just checked council and our plans were submitted two days ago!!!!!!
its Sandra from Hudson Homes who is in touch with us. Very first Alice was our point of contact, she was very good. Then, Michelle Vigo and now Sandra.

Regarding Build Quality inside, everything is half done apart from Wall Colour the bathroom tiles are half done, the kitchen is missing of course. just saw shower getting fitted last week. which is good, but everything else is still pending. Even the Electrical is half done.
its seems as if every time we ask them for update, they do a bit of work and stop.

I am definitely check my contract tonight and chase it up with them accordingly.

Good to hear about your plan submission. I am happy for you
We have Sandra also, She is only quite new and is learning a lot. Sandra is generally quite good with us and we have had a lot of changes so it has been a lot for them to all get their head around which i understand.

That's bizarre everything is half done.. Where are you building at?
jhiace
We have Sandra also, She is only quite new and is learning a lot. Sandra is generally quite good with us and we have had a lot of changes so it has been a lot for them to all get their head around which i understand.

That's bizarre everything is half done.. Where are you building at?

I don't have any issues with Sandra. She is good with us also. She is trying to provide information as much as she can. I think the total management itself is not good enough.

we are building in Wadalba @ Johns Rd
Related
14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

9/12/2023
Anyone building with Zac Homes?

Building A New House

Wish you all the best. Once you signed the contract, they will find millions excuses to charge you. And have seen their sites unfinished for a long time.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum